• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

SU fuel pump banjo fittings stripped out

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
:eek: On my '63 BJ7 fuel pump the bolts that go through the banjo fitting only leave approximately 3/8" of threads into the pump body. Over a short time due to the vibration of the outlet fuel line a leak starts resulting in more tightening etc. Finally the bolt won't tighten anymore. Is there a "heli-coil" thread restoration available to replace the stripped threads within the body of the AUF301 SU fuel pump?

Also, is there a longer bolt available to pickup more threads within the body of the pump?

Or, should I try and convert to the standard union type fitting? If so, what parts would I need?

Thank you in advance as always.

Richard Dickinson

Jedi Trainee
If you have a square body pump, I may have a good square body you can have if you want to go to the trouble of changing all of the other parts over. I ruined the coil trying to replace the leads.

OP
Johnny

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thank you Richard for your offer. I don't have a square body pump, I have an AZX1307 pump that is only about 2 years old.
If you don't mind though, could you look to see how long your bolt is that goes into the fuel pump through the banjo fitting?
Mine only measures 7/8" from the shoulder to the end of the bolt, and 1 1/8" overall. My banjo fitting is 5/8" thick leaving only 1/4" available to tighten.

Thanks again for responding.

Country flag
Johnny
I have a box full of old SU pumps if you want to change out the body.PM me a picture it to make sure I can get you the right body.

Marv

Country flag
I was able to find heli-coil inserts to match the oil pipe inlet Banjo Bolt thread (on the aluminum rockershaft pedastal) so if you know/measure the size you need, chances are it's available.

OP
Johnny

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
I was able to find heli-coil inserts to match the oil pipe inlet Banjo Bolt thread (on the aluminum rockershaft pedastal) so if you know/measure the size you need, chances are it's available.
Thanks Randy, I talked to tech support for Grainger inc. and they don't stock heli coils with the British thread design, which is necesssary to reuse the banjo bolts.

Country flag
British Tools and Fasteners has all kinds of Brit thread helicoiis.

https://www.britishfasteners.com

Marv J
Wow, I'll say! My search (on their site) turned up six (6) pages worth. I'm not sure what I have laying around here in the way of SU fuel pumps, nor where they'd be since moving, or I'd try to get the measurement for you.

Beginning on page 361 of this AeroQuip catalog, it describes how to identify and measure the multitude of fitting types available: https://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@hyd/documents/content/pct_479318.pdf

OP
Johnny

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Here's the response from "britishfasteners". Unfortunately I don't have the tools to measure what he's asking for. The bolt size seems to be an M16 but I can't measure the threads per inch. Perhaps someone here on the Forum can help me???

" Probably do, but I'm not 100% on the thread size.Can you tell me the OD of the thread and possibly the threads per inch?"
"Do you stock the helicoil inserts for SU fuel pumps on a Austin Healey? The banjo bolt that threads into the fuel pump body will no longer hold tight enough due to the threads in the pump body are stripped out. The pump is only 2 years old so I'd like to be able to just replace the threads if possible".

OP
Johnny

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
No that's not what I'm looking for. If you look on that site at HP fuel pumps (AZX1307) you'll see item # 30 which is part #AUB655 which is superseded by #AUB655B. Anyway, that banjo bolt screws into the fuel pump body, of which I'm trying to find out what the thread size is.
Thanks for looking though.

Country flag
Johnny, if you can afford the down time, send me the fuel pump__it'll fit in in small Priority Mail box and cost <$6.00__and I'll measure the size and fit the insets. It'll cost you what the thread repair kit costs, and I'll keep the leftovers (fair?).

Be sure to include both Banjo Bolts. PM me for shipping address.

Oh, and I have references; I just did these for another member here:

IMG_2835.jpg

IMG_2930.jpg

D

Duane_Rhynard

Randy does great work!

Here they are installed.

Duane
'58 BN6

P5070408.jpg

57_BN4

No that's not what I'm looking for. If you look on that site at HP fuel pumps (AZX1307) you'll see item # 30 which is part #AUB655 which is superseded by #AUB655B. Anyway, that banjo bolt screws into the fuel pump body, of which I'm trying to find out what the thread size is.
Thanks for looking though.

I think you'll find that is the right thread if it measures near 16mm.
https://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,1606455,page=1
Check out the Moss kit listed, it appears to substitute the original fittings for the banjo ones off the carb float bowl lids so hoses can be fitted instead of the union fittings.

Country flag
Randy does great work!

Here they are installed.

Duane
'58 BN6

View attachment 27327
Duane, that car is going to be just gorgeous! I expect it will be about as close to perfect as perfect can get :thumbup

Makes me regret the decision I made in 1986 in not restoring my car to original condition__it too was Healey Ice Blue (w/white sides). Of course, a MkIII was probably only worth $10-12k then, and a BN6 was hardly a blip on the radar...

OP
Johnny

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Randy, I don't need references, I've always been envious of your fine work.
Right now I have the fuel pump back on the car and it doesn't leak. I managed to pickup a couple more threads by replacing some copper washers I had including the fiber washers. I do have a spare fuel pump so If and when it starts leaking again I'll send it to you right away. Thanks again for all who helped me with this problem.
:encouragement: