• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Scuttle Liner/ Footwell Cards

SpacerM

Gents:

Fixing errors and worn vinyl in the interior on my BJ8 was this winter's project, and I'm nearly done- Two questions on the Scuttle Liners (inside the footwells), however- First, I don't see any holes in mine for the nuts that hold the windshield pillar- do the nuts sit under the liner, making the liner protrude off the Scuttle, or should the nuts go through the liner or alternatively be countersunk into the plywood but not protruding through the vinyl? The Body Service parts List (Plate N3) is no help, but does show screws holding the liner in- can someone advise the location for these (the holes in my scuttle for the screws must be under the JB Weld and thick black paint!). Thanks to all who can solve this little mystery.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Gents:

Fixing errors and worn vinyl in the interior on my BJ8 was this winter's project, and I'm nearly done- Two questions on the Scuttle Liners (inside the footwells), however- First, I don't see any holes in mine for the nuts that hold the windshield pillar- do the nuts sit under the liner, making the liner protrude off the Scuttle, or should the nuts go through the liner or alternatively be countersunk into the plywood but not protruding through the vinyl? The Body Service parts List (Plate N3) is no help, but does show screws holding the liner in- can someone advise the location for these (the holes in my scuttle for the screws must be under the JB Weld and thick black paint!). Thanks to all who can solve this little mystery.
I believe these pics will help you out. The one hole that goes all the way through is also for the Dash attaching brackets. The other holes that only go so far but stop at the foam/vinyl are recessed and the bolt head should fit in those nicely. If you're installing new panels place masking tape on the inside of the panels and with the bolt heads in position lightly tap those areas so that there's an "impression" on the tape. Do this before cutting the holes out!! This is the mark for where the holes are to go. You may want to consider attaching the windshield in place where it goes to assist you. This is not a hard job but it is one that needs you to measure more than once and make a few trial fits before your sure of where it goes. As you can see, the factory did not line up the holes and foam exactly but it works just fine. I installed my new Heritage Kick Panels with no problems.

Attachments

• DSC02678.JPG
    DSC02678.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC02674.JPG
    DSC02674.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC02675.JPG
    DSC02675.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC02676.JPG
    DSC02676.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC02677.JPG
    DSC02677.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 102
OP
S

SpacerM

Patrick, really appreciate the pics- Thanks! By the photos I take it the screws referenced in the Manual are actually for the BJ7 and Not the BJ8 as I don't see any holes in the cards- explains my lack of mounting holes in the scuttle. Was the vinyl edge that faces the furflex glued to the plywood, or does it look like it was wrapped around the edge of the scuttle so that furflex actually mounted over the vinyl? Thanks for the help.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Patrick, really appreciate the pics- Thanks! By the photos I take it the screws referenced in the Manual are actually for the BJ7 and Not the BJ8 as I don't see any holes in the cards- explains my lack of mounting holes in the scuttle. Was the vinyl edge that faces the furflex glued to the plywood, or does it look like it was wrapped around the edge of the scuttle so that furflex actually mounted over the vinyl? Thanks for the help.
There's actually two screws for the Kick panel with the cutout but they are forward. You can't see the holes on that panel because they are small. The panel by the driver is held in position by the area by the metal bulkhead by the wiper motor, etc. Place the panel there and you'll see what I mean. The edges of the panels are actually glued to the metal that you snap the furflex to. Do one-half side at a time. If your panels are new you may have some trimming to do where the vinyl bends/folds over in this area or the furflex may not fit correctly because the vinyl may be too thick. Same for the very bottom of the panels. The original vinyl is very thin and most aftermarkets brands are much thicker.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
There's actually two screws for the Kick panel with the cutout but they are forward. You can't see the holes on that panel because they are small. The panel by the driver is held in position by the area by the metal bulkhead by the wiper motor, etc. Place the panel there and you'll see what I mean. The edges of the panels are actually glued to the metal that you snap the furflex to. Do one-half side at a time. If your panels are new you may have some trimming to do where the vinyl bends/folds over in this area or the furflex may not fit correctly because the vinyl may be too thick. Same for the very bottom of the panels. The original vinyl is very thin and most aftermarkets brands are much thicker.
Here's a pic showing the screw locations for the RH Panel. The LH Panel has none.

Attachments

• DSC02683.JPG
    DSC02683.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 87
OP
S

SpacerM

Thanks again Patrick! I got all the internal kick panels installed yesterday (but now have to find and stop a dastardly squeak that is coming from my new rear quarter panels- driving me nuts)- never done!

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi All,

I have also wondered about the cut-out but I think there was something more then the few mms of extra space that was the creative motivation and often thought it was for a foot vent (similar to the Jag 120) for right hand drive cars. This cut-out remains from very early in the Healey's design and why it was continued during the Big Healey's changes into and through the BJs is puzzling. So, does anyone really know the answer to Chuck's question? After over 50 years and many occasional thoughts about this, I still don't know and, although not important to the Healey's operation now, I would like to know what its initial purpose was for and why it was continued to the end of production.

Ray (64BJ8P1)

Country flag
Hi All,

I have also wondered about the cut-out but I think there was something more then the few mms of extra space that was the creative motivation and often thought it was for a foot vent (similar to the Jag 120) for right hand drive cars. This cut-out remains from very early in the Healey's design and why it was continued during the Big Healey's changes into and through the BJs is puzzling. So, does anyone really know the answer to Chuck's question? After over 50 years and many occasional thoughts about this, I still don't know and, although not important to the Healey's operation now, I would like to know what its initial purpose was for and why it was continued to the end of production.

Ray (64BJ8P1)
In one (or more) of the many Healey Marque books, they seem to unanimously agree that it is for increased accelerator foot room on the RH Drive cars. I have to side with Jim on this one.

Although, someone in California, around the time I bought my Healey, nearly four (<4) decades ago, had scrounged up a pair of Studebaker fender vents and added them to his car. He did a really good job of integrating them, fit & finish-wise, but their appearance__open or closed__stuck out like a sore thumb. No doubt they passed the functionality test, bringing cool air__and bees, wasps, etc.__into the footwells, but on his light colored car (can't remember now if it was OEW or a silver) they were butt-ugly. On a black car, or at least black coves, they would blend in much better. I'm sure if you scoured through enough Healey Highlights (Pacific Centre Newsletter) of the mid to late 70s, you'd see his car, for he was at many of the same gatherings I attended.

RAC68

Darth Vader
Jim and Randy are probably correct and a friend also brought up the thought that Rt. hand driving allows your foot to drag along the side panel. If the Rt. side panel was created as the Left, the padded vinyl would cause drag on the shoe and eventually deteriorate the panel to an ugly mess. With the panel composed of glued vinyl on metal, there would be less foot drag and longer life before replacement was necessary.

Since I have driven a Rt.hand Healey on only one occasion, my attention was taken by shifting and steering and I don't remember how my foot managed the peddles in the well. Later, when thinking about the peddles, I would have imagined the sill would have caused accelerator foot placement to be moved away from the side panel. However, that is something a Rt.Hand Drive Healey owner would be more familiar with and comment on.

Ray (64BJ8P1)