• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How is the scuttle top liner held down

chicken

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I am just about to get my new scuttle top liner upholstered but firts would like to know how it is secured to the shroud and scuttle top, is it just held in place with the rear view mirror and a screw at either end.
Also should the front edge have a rounded profile to it or should it be flat faced as mine is, if it's rounded i'll have to get it padded out !

stevebn2bj7

Jedi Warrior
I assume that you have a 100/6 or 3000 mk1. If that is the case then yes the only thing holding it down is the mirror screws and the two at the outer corners. It should be put in before the windshield to get the outer screws in the right place (or use a really smal screwdriver). If it is a BJ7 orBJ8 then the only thing holding it is the mirror.

Don't quite understand the second part.

OP
chicken

chicken

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
stevebn2bj7

Steve yes sorry it is a BJ7, mine sits ok in the middle but seems to want to curl up at either end, should there not be a screw holding it down ?
I'll put a picture up tommorow, the front edgeof the liner (above the dash) is flat flaced but looking at the pictures it seems like it ought to be bevelled ?

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
Here is a picture of my BJ8 dash top installed. The exposed edge is padded out toward the passenger if that is what you are asking about. Also, there are two metal tabs on each end that you bend under the edge of the cowl/shroud. The rear view mirror and those two tabs are all that holds the dash pad down on the BJ8. The leading edge fits snuggly behind the windshield frame.
https://picasaweb.google.com/edkantne/DashPad?authkey=ne5QHjwWcpA#5272365575749380210
Ed

stevebn2bj7

Jedi Warrior
Yes all that holds it in is the mirror. THere may be clips on the outer edge like the BJ8 But I only pushed mine under the windshield and it stays fine. I may have meissed the clips though.

The edge facing the cockpit does have a curved pad under the vinyl.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hey Rob,
According to Moss, the BJ7 & BJ8 have the same dashpad. Here is a photo of my BJ8's. There is a tab that snugs the pad to the shroud. Also you'll see that there is a sheet metal end cap hidden under the vinyl. I don't think the end cap gets screwed to the shroud, but I'm not 100% on that.

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
Mine didn't have any screws in the end metal pieces. Those two tabs bend under the bottom edge of the scuttle/shroud on each side. Those tabs and the rear view mirror mounting screws are all that hold the pad down on the rear.
The defroster vents go down through the openings in the shroud and also help hold the pad in place in the front along with the fact that the pad is wedged behind the windshield frame.

OP
chicken

chicken

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Ed

What is the hole in the center of the scuttle top liner for, it's in between the demister grilles ? want to check befor emy trimmer covers it over.

Rob

Attachments

• 14403.jpg
    14403.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 177

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior
The hole is for the rubber covered captured nut into which the windshield center bracket bolts. That bracket holds down the center of the windshield.

OP
chicken

chicken

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Cutlass

Thanks for that, i did look at the windshield but couldn't see any fixings but looking back i may have taken the bracket off when polishing the frame !!

Rob

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Call me a phillistine but that central fixing of the windscreen is missing off my car though the bracket from the windscreen exists and I do not get any leakage.
I do not see the same bracket on your car chicken.

The ends of my scuttle top were held down by screws but there again I think that the PO was aq bit of a chancer as he has manufactured much of the trim himself and not necessarily correctly.

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior
Moss has neither the bracket nor the nut. BCS has the nut, which they call a "Rubber Well Nut" on page 2 of their catalog. I think this can be obtained at a well stocked hardware store, though. I don't know of a source for the bracket new.