• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rattle Cans and Dependable Suppliers

71tr

Jedi Warrior
Just thought I'd share an experience that might be considered unusual by most. So I've been working on this TR6 rebuild for way too many years but nearing completion, the last two years here in Chicago. Over the weekend I needed some spray paint so stopped by the local auto parts store. When I couldn't locate the paint section I asked the hired help. This guy looked at me like I was from the moon when I asked where the spray paint was.

Seems Chicago has passed an ordinance banning the sale of spray paint and large tipped markers, ostensibly to battle the graffiti problem. You have to order the stuff or drive out to the suburbs to get your fix. I can't believe the laws truly work as I ride the train every day and there is plenty of evidence of the street artist's work. What a ridiculous government intervention in everyday life!

So, on the brightside I turned to one of my favorite suppliers to satisfy my need for rattle can, Summit Racing. They will have the shipment in my hands within a couple of days, yea!

DeltaAir423

Jedi Trainee
I'll have to look it up, however there is another city that is limiting the sale of denatured alcohol to private individuals, as it is used in the production of methamphetamines. So if you have a big wood staining project coming up you better start buying up about a week in advance.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
New York City went through some horrible graffiti problems on the subway cars years ago. The city finally got all the cars cleaned up, and continue to do so as regular maintenace. You don't see graffiti painted trains in New York City anymore. However, the vandals have taken a new approach. They are using acid to etch the windows! :cryin: Transit workers have found that the newer cars have mylar on the glass, which is resistant to the acid. They may have to apply it to all the car windows at great expense. What a waste.

swift6

Yoda
HAHAHAHA!

The vandals are probably riding the trains to the suburbs to buy the spray paint too. LOL :wall:

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
What's really sick is that I can't go to a local pharmacy and buy a box of Co-Advil's without a hassle for the same reason as the denatured alcohol. I walk into the local CVS on Saturday with red eyes and sneezing from all of the pollen and I have to get out my license, hand it over, sign my name and address in the book, then signature, she checks for a match and after 5 minutes I get the Co-Advil.

So I say can I just get these at the pharmacy next time, with a script? No, they will send you back here to sign the book so the police can check who is buying sinus relief medicine.

So I say, OK, I can deal with that, but can I get a second box while I'm here to avoid the hassle until this pollen junk goes away? Sorry, but you have our limit for the next two weeks. You have got to be kidding me.

WTH????? Is this still America or what?? Anyone can buy cigarettes or tobacco that can kill you at a pharmacy (kind of an oxymoron), but I can't buy sinus medication to make my allergies better because of some drug dealers home chem lab.

Thank goodness that I didn't ask for the alchohol with the Co-Advil.......

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Speaking from 1 of the Meth capitals of this country, more power to em.

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Paul: did you read Art's post about the acid? I'm no chemist but I believe it takes HF (hydro fluoric) acid to etch glass. So, you can buy HF but not Advil???? I went through the same exercise as you some months ago and actually had an argument with the cashier. of course my heritage requires me to instantly react with emotion first, then feel stupid later. I had just celebrated my 60th birthday and I guess i was feeling rather self conscious about my age. I had a horrible head cold and need some Coriciden HBP. She asked for my DOB. I said October 23, 1899. She was not amused. I suffered through the cold. Where the crap can you buy hydro fluoric acid???

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
In the article that I linked to, it didn't mention hydrofluoric acid, but "He said the most common material used by the new breed of graffiti vandals is Armor Etch-All, an etching acid sold in art supply stores that is used by craftspeople to etch into glass or other materials."

That stuff must contain hydrofluoric acid, as I don't know of any other stuff that would etch glass.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
martx-5 said:
That stuff must contain hydrofluoric acid, as I don't know of any other stuff that would etch glass.
Yup. A quick Google turned up the comment that it's 1% HF in a paste base.

I agree entirely about the stupidity of banning various substances and/or devices just because they might be used to break the law (not to mention the stupidity of the laws they might break). OTOH, the bright side Paul is that you can still get what you want by following the meaningless red tape. Vicks Nyquil, for example, has been reformulated until it doesn't work at all for me.

OP
71tr

71tr

Jedi Warrior
Reading these posts has me LOL. Just to follow-up my original post from yesterday. Today I received my order of assorted rattle cans from Summit. I truly am amazed at how quickly they ship and deliver.

Could you imagine how smoothly our projects would run if the big 3 could manage similar efficiency. I realize there are economies of scale and we are a niche market but being able to place an order on Monday and have package in hand on Tuesday without any exorbitant shipping charges gets my business every time.

OP
71tr

71tr

Jedi Warrior
One more note, now that I have my personal supply of spray paint I may slip one into my briefcase and tag the subway on the way to work tomorrow. Payback to the city of Chicago.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I buy a good amount of parts from them and their service is second to none, with prices a LOT better than local shops.

D

DougF

If it makes anyone feel better, a kid in Pittsburgh is awaiting sentencing on a graffiti arrest. He potentially could serve life plus something like $500,000 reparations.

tosoutherncars

Jedi Knight
71tr said:
One more note, now that I have my personal supply of spray paint I may slip one into my briefcase and tag the subway on the way to work tomorrow. Payback to the city of Chicago.

Hey, take a few extra cans to sell to the young hooligans... maybe you've found a new business model! 2-day turnaround (thanks to Summit) high markup (thanks to prohibition)... You could make millions!

StagByTriumph

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
71tr said:
Just thought I'd share an experience that might be considered unusual by most. So I've been working on this TR6 rebuild for way too many years but nearing completion, the last two years here in Chicago. Over the weekend I needed some spray paint so stopped by the local auto parts store. When I couldn't locate the paint section I asked the hired help. This guy looked at me like I was from the moon when I asked where the spray paint was.

Seems Chicago has passed an ordinance banning the sale of spray paint and large tipped markers, ostensibly to battle the graffiti problem.

"Rattle Cans don't kill people, People kill people ..." :wall: