• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Opinions on luggage rack

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
With a donor car I just bought to rebuild my TR4a I obtained a luggage rack, chrome in pretty good condition, but the type which bolts on through holes drilled in the boot (trunk) lid, which I am not sure I want to do.
It's a nice period accessory, and I don't want to spend money on a clip-on type when I have this one, what do you think?

piman

Darth Vader
Hello Simon,
I take it you neither want or need to carry luggage, in which case, I suggest you leave it off.

Alec

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
I would not drill my trunk lid for a rack unless I really needed it for travel.

Bruce

Steven

Jedi Trainee
I got a rack already installed on my TR6...I never use the darn thing. It also makes it somewhat difficult to wash, wax, and polish the trunk lid underneath the bars.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I had a luggage rack on my 1500 Spit. Took it off, repaired the holes and have never been happier with the way it looks now. I suggest selling your rack on ebay, we have sold a couple spitfire racks on there and have easily gotten $150 for them. a TR4 rack ought to go for at least that.

Rob_T

I guess I'll be the disenter, I bought one and installed it on my 65 MKII Spitfire. I got a lot of compliments about it. I think its a great period piece. It sounds like the same as the one you have, bolts onto the hinges and bolts thru the lid. Wicker picnic baskets look great on them!

Cheers,

Rob

OP
Simon TR4a

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
Well, I guess I have the winter to ponder how much use I'll actually get from it, I had in mind a wicker hamper for picnics, but more practically a suitcase when on longer trips, I have been told by my wife who is more sensitive to these things, that clothes smell of gas or exhaust when kept in the trunk. (This is apparently a bad thing!)
I like the idea of having two trunk lids but could use the money towards things I need as opposed to want...
Thanks for your suggestions!
Simon.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi, I have to agree with Rob. My TR4 already had the Anco rack installed when I bought it and it's a nice looking accessory. From your description, I think yours is the same type. If you have all the accessories, there should be four chromed "levelling buttons" with rubber seals on the base that go between the legs of the rack and trunk lid, and four chrome "carriage bolts" to fit through and fasten the rack in place. Much of the time when not using the rack, I removed it and just use the four bolts to fill the holes, leaving the rack mount buttons in place. In fact, I got four large wing nuts to make the sway easy. It looks good either way, with the rack on the car, or just the buttons/bolts when it's removed.

Oh, and yes the rack came in *very* handy at times. Some years ago I recall picking up a lady friend at the Denver airport. Even with one bag securely strapped to the rack and others in the trunk, we still had to put the top down to accomodate a couple other oversize pieces of luggage... during a January snow storm in Colorado! But, what the heck, it was only about 30 miles of freeway to get home. BTW, the lady usually didn't travel with that much luggage, but in this instance was coming back to the University after the holidays and had a semester's worth of stuff!

Yep! I had a wicker picnic basket too, although I haven't a clue where it is now! Hmmm, for that matter I'm not sure where the lady friend is, either.

Kurtis

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My TR4 has a rack (it was on the car when I bought it). It's the drilled type. I wish it wasn't there. I personally think the cars look better without them... but that's just my opinion.

MichaelF

Have you considered modifying the 'feet' of the luggage rack to use suction cups and then strap the rack on when needed? It wouldn't look OEM but would be useful when required. The issue is whether you want the look or the function!

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
I like and use my rack quite often. I like it well enough in fact to have had the chrome re-done last season(275$$)
if you want to go a long distance, its very usefull. If i didnt have the surry top to mount my 3rd brake lamp to, I would certainly put it on the rack. JCW sells a cool narrow bar-lamp that can be held in place by doubleface tape...
MD(mad dog)

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Mad Dog,

Why did you mount a third brake light?

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I have a rack on the TR4 but wouldn't have it if I didn't use it often. Ditto on the smell that clothes can acquire in the boot, plus I need that space for tools & parts. If you sell that bolt on rack on eBay you may get the majority of cost of a new Amco style TR4 rack. This TR4 rack is such an elegant design that it would be a shame to drill a boot lid for any other style.

For those not familiar with it -- the Amco TR4 rack connects at the front using the boot lid hinges and at the rear using the license plate bolts. No drilling, suction cups or straps. Upper right pic:

https://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29641&SortOrder=1

Yikes -- I hadn't looked at the price on these for a few years. Our $ doesn't buy what it used to. Still, may make your old one more saleable. For luggage pick up a vintage suitcase at your local antique mall or second hand shop.