• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Liner Removal Help

Palmer

I just got the engine block back from the machine shop. It's all cleaned up with new camshaft bearings, but I didn't have them remove the cylinder liners. In retrospect, I guess that was a mistake. Any hints on how to get them out? I've been using a piece of 2 x 4 and a hammer, but they won't budge.

Thanks.

Bob_Muzio

Jedi Trainee
A friend devised a slide hammer type tool utilizing a long, thick, threaded rod with a plate on one end and a weight on the other with securing nuts on each end.
Bob

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I use a 'drift' made from a length of 3/4" pipe with a hex brass cap (which is flat on top) on one end and an ordinary iron cap on the other. Parts are all available at Home Depot, just screw them together. To use it, set the brass against the bottom of the liner and smack the iron cap with a BFH. Move around the liner, just like driving out a bearing race.

In extreme cases, it may become necessary to break the liner into pieces. But I've only had to do that on engine blocks that have been left exposed to the elements for many years.

Bob's slide hammer does sound interesting, but I think that plate is going to have to be pretty carefully matched to the bore in the block and maybe the bore in the liner as well. Especially with 87mm (or worse yet 89mm) liners, the bottom edge is very thin. No problem at all if you have a lathe handy, but perhaps not so easy otherwise.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'd take it back to the machine shop....

OP
P

Palmer

Yeah, I'm kicking myself now for not getting it done right. On the other hand, I've gotten liners out before, so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to do it again.

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I'm trying to do the same thing now without to much success. I have not had the block cleaned or any thing yet, just lots if PB Blaster. I was hoping they would come out after the block was cleaned. Not much effort on my part as of now. I also have 3 head bolts that don't want to come out. The head is off the block though, and they said not to use the rope trick to lift the head so you don't disturb the liners. I think I may be the one that gets disturbed. Please let us now how you did I will be watching, thanks.

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
TR3driver said:
I use a 'drift' made from a length of 3/4" pipe with a hex brass cap (which is flat on top) on one end and an ordinary iron cap on the other. Parts are all available at Home Depot, just screw them together. To use it, set the brass against the bottom of the liner and smack the iron cap with a BFH. Move around the liner, just like driving out a bearing race.

Here's a second to Randall's monster drift. I wailed away for days with a 2x4 and a mini-sledgehammer, not budging them at all. A couple of good whacks with the drift popped them right out.

-Darrell

OP
P

Palmer

Success! I turned the block upside-down, laid a piece of sheet metal across the bottoms of the liners (to keep the 2x4 from splintering) used a length of 2x4 as a drift, hit it with a 4lb. engineer's hammer, and out they popped. Still got more wood splinters in my nice clean block than I would have liked, but they'll clean up. Now all I've got to do is put them back in. :crazy: