• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Help Needed with '59 BE in NJ - Rant and Questions

Bruce_B

Jedi Warrior
After trying everything I know, I stll can't get my rebuill 1275 engine started - getting really discouraged. It's summertime and I should be out there cruising.

Been working with the HIF4 Carb. But even if there's a problem with that, it still should start with starter fluid put into the carb.

I've checked the position of the dist. with the 1st cylinder TDC and seems OK.

(1) Question - what's that rule about backfire from the rear is timing, backfire from the Carb is Gas-- or is it the other way around. I do get an occasional DUb-DUB, but that's it.

Have new high torque starter installed. Another problem I'll start the car and turns over OK...but then the starter will make a high pitched whine as if flywheel is not engaged. I'll put car into a gear, push back and forther, put out of car. Then starter seems to work.

(2) What could be causing that? Starter seems installed fine.

(3) any other ideas....things to check out? Spark is good.

Any help is much appreciated. If anyone is in the area, near Flemington, NJ -- visits also appreciated-- of course with full beer and pizza provided.

thanks...
To all of those going to the Lake---which I was joining you.
Safe Driving.

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
Always check the basics, fuel then spark. If you're getting both, then it's a matter of time getting them dialed in.

Since you've checked the pos of the dist, then you've properly static timed it, right?

I don't know if you can do this with a 1275, but the last time I pulled the engine on my B, I got the distributor 180 degrees out. I would look at it and think it was firing on the compression stroke but it wasn't. Took me awhile to figure it out. I swaped the plug order and it fired right up. Later, I got it set properly.

bugimike

Yoda
Starter problem sounds like the Bendix drive is sticking! Are you sure the battery is up to snuff with enough of a charge to really "kick" the Bendix? It will just spin if there is not enough of a charge to kick it to the end of the shaft and it may also need some light lube to free it up! The 180* out dizzy sounds like a likely culprit to check also for the firing part! I am not familiar with that carb (I like the HS2s on a 1275 myself!) so no advice here on that end of it!

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Bruce:

Check your personal messages (from me)

texas_bugeye

Jedi Knight
Have new high torque starter installed. Another problem I'll start the car and turns over OK...but then the starter will make a high pitched whine as if flywheel is not engaged. I'll put car into a gear, push back and forther, put out of car. Then starter seems to work.

Rocking car back and forth in gear moves the postion of the flywheel. if this is what your doing and reattempting to start the car allows it to turn over you may have a bad spot on your fly wheel ring.
or.. if its a standard starter it may have a gummed up bendix. Pull the starter and wash the bendix with something like a brake clean product. Spray the shaft with a silcone spray or a graphite dry lube, dont use oil as it will gumup again in short order. Make sure your Batt. is full charge and up to snuff.

OP
Bruce_B

Bruce_B

Jedi Warrior
Thanks to all for the advice. I'm always charging the battery but it is the one that came with the car when I bought it two years ago and it wasn't new then.
Even though it reads the correct voltage, it's cranking ability could be reduce. Time for a new one...what's another 60 - 70 dollars. Anyone know what group size that battery is? If I get an answer I'll buy one on the way home, otherwise tomorrow. (FOUND IT - Group 24)

Nial..got your PM. Will be in touch around lunchtime...much appreciated.

Will keep everyone posted.