• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Gone in 60 seconds....Plasma Cutter Adventures

G

Well, I finally got my new plasma cutter (Hypertherm Powermax 380) cranked up and have been practicing on scrap sheet metal. Geez Louise, this thing is fast! I can see that when I get a guide set up on the floorboard, actual cutting time will be about 60 seconds, or less. And with the proper setting, it really doesn't throw near as much flash as I thought it would. I had an electrician come by and install a 240V/20A dedicated outlet and flipped the switch on the unit to 240V, installed an inline moisture filter (bolted it to the housing) and cranked her up. I have to repair the welded-in nuts on the frame that hold my console brace in (new nuts) as well and customize a bracket to fit the new floorboard to hold my VB seats in. Figured I would over-size cut the new floorboard, lay it in over the hole, score it and with about an inch or less of overlap, cut the new floorboard in the bench and, voila, start Clecoing everything down. So, about 30 hours of prep time (remove interior and engine for needed repairs) and about 60 seconds of cut time. I just need to get a drag tip for the torch so I don't have to guesstimate that 1/16" setback all the time.

Boys and their toys.

OP
T

Tinster

Wendy is wondering how much time might be invlolved
to plasma cut the Crypt Car into pieces small enough
that Wendy can lift and put into her Jeep. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Just tell Wendy that the Crypt Car is running just fine for now and that no further body work will be needed, particularly in the cutting mode.

OP
G

Hey Paul, I'm on my second pot of coffee, how about you. Sleeping in is not an option, the rooster in my head goes off at 4:00am no matter what.

Paul, do you have the same gut feeling as I do, that Tinster's problem might be cam related. I just have the feeling that the cam is dialed in wrong. Unfortunately, it would require removing a few parts to find out, or some really good measurements with a dial gauge. I would be tempted to pop the oil pan, and with a really strong flashlight, check out the lobes on the cam from the bottom. The remove the valve train and with a dial gauge check the workings of the cam. I still think the dizzy drive is set in wrong. Or am I wrong and the darn drive can only go in one way and not 180 off?

Gotta take the bride shopping this morning. She did the good deed and took care of my old mom, payback time.

OP
T

Tinster

Nope Paul, the Crypt Car is once again dead
as dust. The new installation of the dizzy
and relocation of the spark plug wires was a
complete and total failure.... that Wendy
witnssed personally.

I did get almost 4 miles drive time this go around.
Since every other component on this car was FU by the PO,
I have to believe the engine is shot as well.

I thought we had it licked this go around. It started
easily, ran smoothly , timing and cylinder pressure both
perfect. And now it is dead again. I'm kinda emotionally exhausted at this point.

3.8 miles was just not enough payback for the 9 months
of effort I put forth.

d /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

OP
G

Well if it makes you feel any better, I'm 3 months ahead of you. Mines been in and out of the shop for over a year now (more in than out, trust me). At least I've had 10 miles out of it in that time though...

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
mmmm Plasma cutter.. I used to get to use one at the shop I used to work at. They're fun. One of my co-workers liked to use it to light his cigars.. I was always waiting for it to arc to his nose... never did.
Have fun! I'll have one someday...

OP
G

My wife went to an arts-and-crafts show today in Lafayette, LA, and came home all excited. A metal artist had some really interesting stuff he had done and used a plasma cutter for all his free-hand cutting of sheet metal. He told her that he used a 120V machine and when my wife told him that her husband had just bought a 240V unit, he was all impressed. She came home all excited because we have such a powerful machine and she was able to "talk shop" with the artist. Last week my wife didn't know a plasma cutter from a cookie cutter. Today she is an expert. And now it is ok that I bought one. But I still owe her bigtime.

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
Bill,

You shoudn't have a problem using the regular tip and dragging it...using the stand-off isn't a problem but feel free to drag it 'till you get one.

I've got a Cutmaster 38 110/220 machine and I've never worn out the tip and I've cut some pretty crappy, rusty stuff.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Dale, I can't believe that the engine is shot in the car and I think that you need a few days away from it and a new attitude about the problems with the distributor. That's is not being flippant in any way, just that I feel badly for you at this time and for all that you've been through and as much as we're all trying, it's just not the same as being there with you to help hands on.

If the car ran before you moved something around it will run again. I'll be happy to try to walk you through it once you feel up to taking a few pics and starting over. I truly think that it is a simple issue that will need to be resolved to get you going again, but you have to be ready and fresh to do it. Now is probably not a good time for you to approach it. Take a few days and let's start over.

kc_doyle

Jedi Trainee
Great advice Paul. I know that there are times when I'm doing wood work, it seems that my head just won't wrap around an idea. Let it lay for a while and it's right there.

John_Mc

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Bill, can you use that to speed up in-office bleaching?

OP
G

[ QUOTE ]
Bill, can you use that to speed up in-office bleaching?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, John, I could tell them that I have a Plasma instead of a Laser . I know my new toy was a heckuva lot cheaper than the ZOOM system. Naw, down here in Podunkville, we barely have air rotors! Heck, I still use amalgam. I know you Resin guys don't know what a Hollenbeck or a Ward's carver is.

I just gotta convince them revenoors that this is a dental instrument.