• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BE Quarter Elliptic Mounting Bolts - threads gone

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Several years ago I replaced the rear quarter elliptics (which are held in place by a large diameter 'U' clamp plus two smaller diameter bolts that run up throught the bottom mounting plate, the spring itself, and thread into a solid piece of steel that is notched to fit over the spring and tapped and threaded to accept the bolts.

I've just pulled the springs, and found that the threads are basically gone on all four bolts and in the securing steel chunk. The bolts are roughly 1/4-5/16 inch in shaft diameter and fine thread. It appears that I managed to overtighten and strip all four of them, but I find that very difficult to believe (there's no torque settings for tightening these) as I would've used hand tools, mostly likely a half inch drive ratchet, and I ain't got big thick forearms.

Anyone run into this before? Any suggestions? I've ordered new bits from Jolly Olde England.

Thanks,
Doug

mk2sprite

Jedi Hopeful
I just removed mine and although the U bolt nuts were super tight everything came apart and looks good. Only thing I can think of is when you put it all back togheter did you lower it down on all four's and then tighten everything back up snug/tight? Possible there was some play in there and the springs were moving up and down slightly evertually wearing the threads away? but I can't see how it could happen to the u bolt?????

OP
T

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Everything came apart really easily for me as well - just the 1/2 inch drive ratchet. The U-bolt and nuts were just fine; it was the 3/8x24 bolts that were toast. I can't remember if I'd re-tightened after the initial tightening on the jackstands years ago. I referred to the threads as stripped in my initial note, but they were actually just kind of pounded flat, so I'm with mk2sprite and thinking that I didn't snug things down enough to eliminate all the play.
Anyone got a table with torque recommendations for various diameters and thread combinations for steel bolts? I used to have one, but I also used to have a lot of things!

Thanks,
Doug

mk2sprite

Jedi Hopeful
Doug
My next step is to dig out the old Bentley manual and see if they list anything for that. I juat try to go by feel and put them back close to how they were, then re check them after a couple days driving and then again at the end of the season.
Mike

OP
T

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I got an e-mail last Tuesday morning advising that my order was out the door and en-route across the Atlantic to the Senior Colony. No show on Friday, but.... did the dang package make it onto a plane before that volcano in Iceland started farting?

One of our neighbours is from The Netherlands and has been here for the last 18 months or so, coaching short track skaters for the winter Olympics, and he and his family were supposed to fly out last Thursday to go home. They've given up their rental accommodation, and had also scheduled a trip to Australia with their kids in a week or so; the way things are going, they might be better off skipping the interlude in The Netherlands and heading straight for the Other Colony.

And I'm sure there's a whole swack of folks whose lives have gotten a lot more complicated than me waiting for some stuff.

Doug