• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Off Topic Gone over to the Dark Side?

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Nice '02, had a '74 white/ blue interior, with your wheels, (from a 323). Haven't seen a fabric interior before.
2002 are terrific cars, enjoyed mine for many years. Sold it when the rings went, and needed a new carb.

How did you come upon it? Best of luck with your new acquisition!

OP
glemon

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Local Craigslist find, has some issues, but he seemed eager to sell, a young guy that liked old cars but not a lot of mechanical aptitude, one of the problems, fuel leak, was 15 minute fix, new rubber hose, but the clutch is still stuck despite some fairly aggressive effort to fix, including hitting the starter with the car in gear (tried forward and reverse) and one effort of spinning the wheels and dropping it. Interior was redone, at least the seats, they look nice, probably not original.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Wow! If the sills and fenders are solid under that shiny paint, I'd keep it. My boss had one the same colour that he bought new and had for years. Drove it back from Calif. after he and wife finished engineering grad school. He tried to give it to me a few years ago, but the rust was already too much (for me, at least) so I declined. We have several 2002s that race in our club and they are surprisingly fast.

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Neat acquisition - I'd love to have one. You're not even close to the dark side and I'd bet that once it's on the road, you'll find that excuse to keep it.

alanjohnturner

Jedi Trainee
Just had to help a guy on the UK TR-forum with a clutch stuck like yours.

Jack up rear-wheels, Run engine. Jump on the brakes. Guy had tried this and still stuck.

But then I told him that he must use TOP-GEAR. This is counter-intuitive. But the direct-drive transmits more shock to the clutch.

Still took three goes before he went free.

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Bright side, it's hard to find a car that looks better in orange. I had a not so nice one for a year and 50k miles or so. Loved it, felt solid, fast, handled well and you can see everywhere. The original seats were junk though, rust was taking over and got offered what I paid. If that car isn't rusty I'd have a hard time letting it go.

OP
glemon

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
The car is not rust free, but not a rust bucket either, although I have not thoroughly inspected everything it is obviously a repaint in the original color, the rockers were replaced, the doors had rust and I think just bonded over, in front of the firewall is all solid, the rear subframe and such looks good, some surface rust on the bottom of the floors, but no rust through, there is rust in the left rear shock tower, and maybe starting in the right rear, this is the biggest issue, but it looks like the rust is isolated and you don't have to go too far to find good metal (I scraped off some of the undercoat, so I think some fabrication and welding can get it back in shape, and since not on the outside the paintwork can be matched with a good enough rattle can of some kind. Only paid a little north of 2K for it so what the heck. Thanks for the tip on the stuck clutch, will give it a try.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
As far as the stuck clutch -- it took some SERIOUS romping on my TR7 to break it free. It also helps to have the car warm if you're going for the romp in 1st technique, so you'll get all the power with no hesitation. The car on jackstands always freaks me out, but luckily I've never had to use it myself.

2002s are awesome. About as British as the Germans ever got! There was one for sale a couple miles down the road, but it was a square-tail light car that the owner was asking $8K for -- and given the dents and dings, the guy was high as a kite.

dklawson

Yoda
Let me be the voice of dissension. (I know everyone's tastes are different. To each is own and I hope this works out for you).

My first car (back in 1977) was a used '68 2002. At the time I thought it was great. Then I drove other cars. 2002s understeer badly. They come with an annoyingly large "bus" steering wheel and require many turns lock-to-lock (hence the occasional reference to "driving the big bus"). They also have an affectionate nickname of "wobbly" due to idiosyncrasies of their front suspension. In stock form they are not fast either. Yes, it is a classic and it is responsible in some ways for pulling BMW out of its brush with bankruptcy. However, having owned one once I have no desire to ever own one again... not even for nostalgia. Congratulations on your find and I hope you can resolve all the issues quickly... and sell it like you told your wife you would.

Returning to the stuck clutch issue, I have experienced that several times with (ironically) German cars. I have never had luck breaking them free with the starter and I have never tried dropping them while running. I have used a similar technique successfully several times. Place the car in neutral, start the engine and let it warm up to running temperature. Now shut the engine off and roll the car to the street where you have a long, straight run. Place the car in second gear and press the clutch pedal to the floor. Do not release the clutch pedal. Start the engine. Since the car is in gear it will start moving as soon as you turn the key. When the engine catches, accelerate HARD, then take your foot off the gas. Keep the clutch pedal depressed all the time. Alternate between flooring the car and taking your foot off the gas. The car is going to buck and complain but in short order there should be a loud "BANG" and the engine will rev freely as the car looses speed. If you run out of street before the clutch breaks free, turn the key off to stop, then turn the car around and try again. It MAY take a couple of times trying this on a really stubborn clutch but it has always freed them for me.

cheseroo

Jedi Trainee
I had a later 2002 like that one. I had it for years and really liked it. Like the TR's, they cry out for a 5th gear/OD. I tried for years to sell it but whether there was a price in the ad or not no one would call about it. Everyone wanted the 320i's. I'd leave it sitting for months and it would fire right up. I've owned several unfortunate cars in the past that I wouldn't take back but that car is one I would. I think if you drive it you will really enjoy it. Remember that the propshaft uses a rubber doughnut so don't be surprised if you tear it up trying to free up the clutch. Not a big deal to replace. Like others suggested, I'd warm it up and try to get it unstuck by driving it.