• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Emissions Equipment

79MGB16

Is there any advantage to doing this? What do you use to fill the holes?? Any websites that will help?

Thanks in advance
Robert
driving.gif

Bret

Yoda
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 79MGB16:
Is there any advantage to doing this? What do you use to fill the holes?? Any websites that will help?

Thanks in advance
Robert
driving.gif
<hr></blockquote>

Hey Robert,

Advantage? The only thing the smog pump & air rail do is lower your car’s emissions. Other than that this equipment doesn’t aid in any way to the performance of the RB Bs.

I’m going to assume that your 79B still has the ZS single carb setup for the rest of my comments. So IMHO if your state’s laws don’t require this to be on your car – you wouldn’t lose anything by chuck’in the smog pump along with the whole ZS setup and opt for either a Weber downdraft or a twin SUs with a nice header.

As for plugging the holes: Should you do decide to remove the pump and air rail you will need to plug the air injection tube holes with four 7/16-20 x ½” set screw plugs.

Other than that take the time to check your local laws to make sure you can legally remove these before you start. Words from someone who’s walked this road a time or two already.

Best of luck,

cheers.gif

BUCKEYE_BOB

While changing out my water pump i went ahead and took off the smog pump and air rail and i belive the gulp valve and hoses. I got some 7/16 fine thread bolts and pluged the holes for the air rails. I then Pluged the vacumn lines that were left. I will be keeping the emission stuff around in case i may have to put it back on. Car ran just fine after i remove the stuff.

MarkJ

So where do I get 7/16-20 1/2" set screws??????
I tried auto stores, and hardware stores. No one caries fine thread in that size and True Value can't even order them!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Stone's Hardware, Gurley, Alabama

MarkJ

Okay very funny Tony , but that will be a pretty far drive for just 4 set screws!
Any other ideas?
Any place on the web?
smile.gif

Ed Wynne

I was able to find 7/16 fine thread screws at my local handyman's hardware, but had to special order the set screws that I used from a bolting supply company, and they had trouble finding them.

I bet if you asked Tony nicely, he would procure some from his place in Gurley, AL, and send them to you. Something tells me he frequents that hardware store, what with his Garage-mahal project and all.

Ed

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Ed...when my friend Anthony Stone bought the place, one of the first things he did was ask me how in depth a nut/bolt/screw selection he should carry....now, he has a complete line up to & including Grade 8 & all the stainless ones I'll ever need...I buy them by the box! If there's something he doesn't have on a Saturday, he orders it & its here by Tuesday!

GTsRFine

Jedi Hopeful
NAPA, Pep Boys, Lowes & Home Depot all carry these. They may be longer than 1/2" . You might have to cut them down to length.
In Augusta we have this wonderful resource called Stafford's Nut & Bolt Warehouse. They have everything except Wentworth.
Have you looked into places that carry mill supplies? They usually carry everything to stock a industrial maintenance department.