• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Failed Emissions Test - Please Help

BrandonBJ8

Jedi Trainee
I took my car to get it tested for emissions today and it failed. It has been running well, so I was a little surprised. I just changed the oil last week as well. Below are the results. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hydocarbons (HC) Loaded Reading - 404, Loaded Standard - 450 - PASS

Hydocarbons (HC) Idle Reading - 578, Idle Standard - 450 - FAIL

Carbon Monoxide(HO) Loaded Reading - 7.82, Loaded Standard - 3.75 - FAIL

Carbon Monoxide(HO) Idle Reading - 9.12, Idle Standard - 5.00 - FAIL

Thanks!
-Brandon

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
HI Brandon.My suggestion is that you change the Spark plugs for a hotter set and lean the mixture out.No one but the owner generally can tune these carbs while under test so the car will pass.I hope the engine has been rebuilt recently .---Fwiw--Keoke

OP
B

BrandonBJ8

Jedi Trainee
Keoke, thanks for the response. What do you mean by a hotter set of plugs? The engine was rebuilt less than 2 years ago. The coil is just a few months old as well.

Thanks!
-Brandon

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Spark plugs have different operating temperature ranges, even though the particular brand of the plug does not change. This characteristic of the plug is usually designated by a Alphabetical or numerical subscript after the basic type number. For instance using the NGK method a plug having the numeric number 4 is hotter than one coded with a 5. Further, there seems to be a preference for NGK plugs over all the other brands available. Personally, I use Bosch Platinum's though. Be sure you timing is correct and steady.--Fwiw---Keoke-AZ- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cowboy.gif

OP
B

BrandonBJ8

Jedi Trainee
Thanks for the advice. I'll change out the plugs. Any other recommendations on what I could try?

Thanks!

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Some of those local AZ boys gonna be on in a bit and help you out too.---Keoke

Well if there is a good British car shop/Mechanic available he may be able to tune your car using a gas analyzer.

BlueRidge1

Jedi Warrior
In NC we Don't have emmission testing on pre 1996 vehicles,
and we don't have to have a state inspection at all on 1967 and older which pretty much takes care of the Healey crowd.
If you do lean the mixture change it back to a bit richer after the test so you don't burn a piston. Bob

OP
B

BrandonBJ8

Jedi Trainee
In AZ, they don't test on 1966 and older...missed it by one year!

Bob - What would be the best way to lean the mixture?

Thanks!
-Brandon

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Re: Failed Emissions Test - Please Help *DELETED*

Post deleted by Dave Russell

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yeah! I went back and "Fissed it"---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I can't imagine putting my BJ8 through an emissions test. Fortunately, not required in NY either. In fact, when I come in for my annual inspection, they just hand me a sticker and send me on my way. I tell them they have to check my car, but they just laugh.

mikespain

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Make sure all your timing ,points and plug settings are correct and really you need a gas analyser to set the carbs up properly it is obviously running rich on tickover which governs the rest of the range,make sure the choke mechanism is returning fully ie the jet is returning fully into the carb body .as a rough guide ,weaken the carbs off a 1/4 of a turn inwards each at a time until the tickover becomes a bit lumpy and then begin to richen them both 1/8 of a turn out until they just come on song that should pass the emissions-as I say the certain way to do it is with an exhaust gas analyser,you might have to readjust them after the test for it to run properly-they were not worried in them days about emissions and they tended to run a bit rich-I don't think changing your plugs will help much as when ,all this is presuming it has the correct needles in the carbs to start off with!

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You would be surprised what a fresh oil change and a new set of plugs will do for you in an emission test.---Keoke-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif

OP
B

BrandonBJ8

Jedi Trainee
Changed the oil less than a month ago. I may have to try new plugs while just to make sure...I really want to pass this and "legally" drive my car!

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Changed the oil less than a month ago. I may have to try new plugs while just to make sure...I really want to pass this and "legally" drive my car!

[/ QUOTE ]

OK Brandon, Like I said earlier find a Mechanic familiar with these cars and have it tuned using an exhaust analyzer. Because if AZ rules are like the Calif ones you are only allowed a fixed number of test attempts that the car must pass within before the car is classified as a gross poluter. Once you get on this side of the coin the state DMV can make your life miserable.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

Ed Kaler

Jedi Warrior
Brandon:

A] Do like Keoke say and go one step hotter in plug heat.
B] Do oil AND filter change.
C] Lean carbs out one flat.
D] AND fill up with SHELL (NO others) High Test. Go for a drive of at least 100 miles ONE-WAY. Re-fill with Shell. Drive DIRECTLY to Test place (do NOT sit and idle) and have tested.

I have had to have this done on NUMEROUS MGBs in the Chi "collar counties area" (read STIFF testing!!) and all have passed. Two guys used other "hi test" and failed.

Don't ask, I don't know why!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif
Ed

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yep ED, If that doesn't get you through the test nothing will. I second the bit about "Shell" Premium Gas. You won't get high gas mileage but you will sure get raw power and lower emissions.---Keoke-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

BlueRidge1

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]

What is the build date of your car? My car was built in 61 but wasn't titled until it sold in 62. If your car was built in 66 maybe it could be retitled as a 66. Just a thought... Have any lawyer friends that could see if that would be legal?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
BR1: That's the same reason there is a 1968 BJ8 on record.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

Ed Kaler

Jedi Warrior
Brandon:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have BMIHT Cert.??? Build date IS???

MORE than likely NOT '67 by your posts???

Change Title!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif
Ed