• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Not my question - but emissions removal

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
This was posted in the MG forum but not reposted here

"I have a 1979 Mg Midget 1500. I have the engine out because i am rebuilding it. Since i have it out and am upgrading some things. With the new headers and things there are no hook ups for the emissions control equipment. I just need some insight on all the things that i have to remove and plug up to take the complete system out while im in there. Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated."

OK, first of all welcome, and, we all need pictures. It's pretty easy to remove.

On my '76, I took out all the emissions stuff.

1. the charcoal canister etc are pretty obvious. all you will have to do is make sure you can route the hoses that remain. I think I had to block one hose at the back of the pipe that went under the exhaust manifold which with headers I presume no longer exists.

2. I actually removed the return line to the gas tank and the vapour canister in the trunk, this because I put in a new tank which didn't have the return hole.

3. There are 4 holes above the intake manifold where the air rail went - these will need to be plugged. bolts are available even on Ebay

4. The air pump on mine had already been removed so I'm not sure what you need to do on that side of the engine.

I can psot pics later if you like.

FWIW I also replaced the ZS carb with an SU (HS4) made a world of difference. With the engine out and if you want to cut the passenger side fender a little, you can also put in dual HS2's as they did in the UK

Either way, welcome, you're in the right place.

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I took the cat out, after a friend alerted me to the fact that some 1500s have gone up in smoke since the cat isn't far below the carburetor. Moss carries an exhaust pipe section that replaces it nicely. I took the air pump belt off after I did that because without the cat, things would get rich on deceleration and the air pump helped make things go boom in the exhaust pipe, especially when shifting gears.

JPSmit said:
This was posted in the MG forum but not reposted here

"I have a 1979 Mg Midget 1500. I have the engine out because i am rebuilding it. Since i have it out and am upgrading some things. With the new headers and things there are no hook ups for the emissions control equipment. I just need some insight on all the things that i have to remove and plug up to take the complete system out while im in there. Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated."

OK, first of all welcome, and, we all need pictures. It's pretty easy to remove.

On my '76, I took out all the emissions stuff.

1. the charcoal canister etc are pretty obvious. all you will have to do is make sure you can route the hoses that remain. I think I had to block one hose at the back of the pipe that went under the exhaust manifold which with headers I presume no longer exists.

2. I actually removed the return line to the gas tank and the vapour canister in the trunk, this because I put in a new tank which didn't have the return hole.

3. There are 4 holes above the intake manifold where the air rail went - these will need to be plugged. bolts are available even on Ebay

4. The air pump on mine had already been removed so I'm not sure what you need to do on that side of the engine.

I can psot pics later if you like.

FWIW I also replaced the ZS carb with an SU (HS4) made a world of difference. With the engine out and if you want to cut the passenger side fender a little, you can also put in dual HS2's as they did in the UK

Either way, welcome, you're in the right place.

just a couple of points.

The air rail screws are 7/16-14 available just about anywhere.
i used cup point socket head set screws half in long i think...i bought a hole box, and when the neighbor needed some for his 1275 the were the same.

and

Twin hs4's not hs2's- the cut out needed is not very large, and i did mine in such a way that the piece i removed was inverted and replaced in the same hole. i used some hi-tech panel bond to glue it back in. Clearance could be introduced with a BFH if you were so inclined...
The transformation of the car with twin su's was incredible- lot of bang for the buck in that conversion..

are you planing on a cam for your rebuild?

I have been pretty happy with the Kent th2k. The stock cams were tuned down to help meet emission requirements.

m

D

Deleted member 8987

I remember those cats under the carbs.

Had a customer, blew a hose or water pump, soaked that asbestos shield with coolant.

Fixed it, washed it, but when it got hot, the coolant caused a small blue flame in the shield.

Went away after a couple of miles, but disconcerting.

First thing I'd do on one is yank the cat (headers fixes that!) and either gut it and re-install or get a pipe made.

STUPID design.......

Sipofhops

Freshman Member
Thanks guys for this info. I have a 75 1500 with Zenith Stromberg and all emissions (minus a hose and some temperature control portion.

I am installing a Weber Carb and want to remove all this emissions “stuff”.
I removed charcoal filter. And related hoses. One went under carb somewhere. And the other went nowhere.
It looks like the pipes going to truck for vaporizer can be removed as I believe the gas tank was removed by prior owner. Looks like they just go to trunk and back.

Pics would be very helpful if you had them.

I will also post updates

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Thanks guys for this info. I have a 75 1500 with Zenith Stromberg and all emissions (minus a hose and some temperature control portion.

I am installing a Weber Carb and want to remove all this emissions “stuff”.
I removed charcoal filter. And related hoses. One went under carb somewhere. And the other went nowhere.
It looks like the pipes going to truck for vaporizer can be removed as I believe the gas tank was removed by prior owner. Looks like they just go to trunk and back.

Pics would be very helpful if you had them.

I will also post updates

love updates! what pics do you need? and, did I ask, where in Canada are you?

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Have you considered a pair of HS’2 and make it sing?

Excellent point, though a rear HS4 from an MGB is a much much easier conversion - 10 minutes with a file and it is installed. Twin Su's involve a new manifold and a notch out of the inner passenger fender.