• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR2 Headlight Trim Question:

Philthytoo

Silver
Country flag
Probably beating up an old topic here, but does anybody know of a source for replacement headlight trim rings with the original type upper retaining tab attached? The owner of the car I'm working on bought replacement rings that not only don't have the clip, but have no hole to install one. I spoke with three prominent parts suppliers whose parts don't have the clip, and seem to not know it ever existed.
TR2 Trim.jpg

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
All the small mouths had a screw at the bottom. The screw was easy to get in because the head light sticks out farther on a small mouth. The large mouth did not have a screw at the bottom, but if you are very nimble you can get the screw in place.

For the most part the large mouth was pushed on by holding the top down tight and pushing the bottom in place. The ring was pried off with a tool that comes in the factory tool kit. Most of those had a little stud on the bottom to help with the pop fit plus they can be a real pain to get on and off.

Sometimes when they go on with difficulty is because of a paint build up on the inner piece or the whole headlight has been fastened too tight to the car and does not give enough wiggle room for the ring, or something is bent

Like Tom said there are many types. The rings fit many Lucas headlights on many different English cars. I once used MGB rings on a large mouth tr3 car and they fit perfect. This was back in day when sport car parts stores sold rings.

Steve

OP
P

Philthytoo

Silver
Country flag
Thanks for the input! None of the rings in the link show the clip on the originals, although the "Bezel headlamp rim-alloy" kinda looks like it has a hole where the rivit to install the original clip might go. The wide profile ring looks to have some sort of clip at 9 o'clock in the image, and a rivit head at 3 o'clock, likely for another clip I'd guess. I have two cars here with the same original rings, different from everything I've found.
After much thought I was able to modify the lip on the reproduction rings and get them installed.
Thanks Again!
Phil

groupdeville

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Check with Morgan parts sources (new and used) - All through the '50s-'70s, iirc, they used the headlight rim that was the same as the TR2, with the screw at the bottom. You might be able to find good used headlamp "buckets"

OP
P

Philthytoo

Silver
Country flag
Looking at Morgan-spares.com, the pictured ring would need either a rivet head, or hole for one, just off 180 degrees from the screw. I ended up modifying the aftermarket rings the car owner supplied and got them mounted. Thank You!

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I was trying to remember how my bezels installed. I can't remember...sorry. I do know that if there is a clip, there is no outside rivet that shows. They do have a screw at the bottom.

OP
P

Philthytoo

Silver
Country flag
The attached photo in the original post shows the clip on the inside of the ring.
TR2 trim +.jpg
This top-down view shows the rivet.
TR2 New Trim.jpg
This is a pic of the inside of the reproduction rings supplied by the owner. It has the screw hole and a couple drain holes on the bottom but no clip or hole for the rivet to hold it. It's kinda hard to see in the pic, but the lip at the rear edge turns up, then forward towards the lens of the light. After much deliberation I decided to try removing that forward pointing lip at about the 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock positions, that allowed the ring to slip behind the ears at the top of the bucket, and some persuasion aligned the hole for the mounting screw.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I see what you are saying. My car came with bezels with the rivet at top. I did not notice that the repro's I used did not have the rivet. They still installed fine...

100_0252.jpg
[/URL]

DSC06425.jpg
[/URL]