• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Emissions equipment removal

bricktop

Is it possible to have the emissions restraints removed from a '76 TR6 without a full engine rebuild? Is it even worth the trouble for the possible HP increase? THX

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
You are asking a question, which if answered in the affirmative, would violate a number of state and federal laws, unless the vehicle would be used for off road purposes only.

I guess a good comparison would be to analyze the 1970 factory performance figures versus the 1976 figures.

swift6

Yoda
Laws that are only as good as the enforcement of them. On the federal level thats pretty much zero on these cars. Local level, check your regs and standards.

Your excitement about the car is commendable but you really need to drive it first and then start deciding on where you want changes. If after you drive it, you want more power, then simply removing the emissions/air injection isn't going to make a real difference. The only way to make a real notable difference is with a different cam, compression, possibly tri-carbs etc...

How much longer do you have in the great sandy oven?

OP
B

bricktop

Yes, you are right. I need to shut up and drive it first. I had a real nightmare on my hands with a previously owned MGB so I am naturally thinking defensively.
I am literally down to weeks over here, should be back at the house (and driving the 6) by 5 August. It can't happen quickly enough. Thanks for asking.

swift6

Yoda
Well at least your moving up in the world. If the body on your TR6 has rust issues it can be sorted fairly easily as its not a unit body car. If your frame has rust issues then your in for a different type of ride. Still workable and repairable though.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
While what you say is true, I just don't believe that a public forum is a good place to answer a question worded that way, if you know what I mean. With that being said, I certainly do not wish to discourage any new or older members of the forum in any way and I was not trying to be a stick in the mud. It's just my view and only that.

swift6

Yoda
I wouldn't say anything here that I wouldn't say in public, as I do consider this 'public'. They can't arrest me for saying they no longer enforce something on the Federal level, they can only prove me wrong. Also, it is ultimately up to the owner or mechanic doing the work to insure compliance. Saying "some one on an internet forum told me it would be okay" won't fly very far with the judge if it comes to that.

Usually I also mention legal/illegal right off the bat (if someone else doesn't) if only to caution whoever about checking/double checking local laws. The Fed has simply left ALL enforcement of emissions on older cars to the states for enforcement however they see fit. I DO NOT endorse circumventing local emissions regulations but there simply really isn't any more Federal enforcement of emissions equipment on older cars except through the local regulations.

So essentially, the Federal Gov't no longer enforces emissions concerns on older vehicles. Just like many other laws that are still on the books that are not enforced. Instead they just make new ones that do much the same as ones that are no longer enforced. But before this goes any further torwards politics... I'll end it here.

And... your not a stick in the mud. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
It seems that all of Hollywood or anyone with a so called "celebrity" status gets a pass on punishment that the average guy couldn't dream of getting in like circumstances. I've always wondered why? They haven't cured cancer, saved hundreds from a train wreck, stopped a raging river or forest fire. Yet we still have this fascination with "stars", whether they be in movies, sports or TV. They live in a fantasy world and the adoring public fawns over them.

Let's cheer the missionaries, volunteers, doctors, nurses, hospice caregivers, researchers, blood, organ and bone marrow donors who do something that really matters in life without being paid millions to do it.

At least what they do isn't an act or done only when on camera.

Enough of my silly rant....sorry. Totally off topic.

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Problem with trying to be honest and keeping the emmissions system in operation is that most parts for these old cars don't exist anymore.

G

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif
They are either non-existant or really hard to get, and usually backordered forever. A really good tuning on many a TR6 will allow it to pass many states' restrictions, but not all. Here in Louisiana, there are only 3 parishes (counties) that have emmissions tests. The other 61 parishes could care less.

I actually got my brake tag (state safety inspection) for my TR6 without a windshield in place. The guy wanted to know where he should put it. I just put it in the cubby till I put the glass in.

Bill

dizzplaced

Freshman Member
Off topic but I agree Brosky. I was an actor for about 20 years and one time in LA I was sitting in cafe with an old friend who was a highly brilliant neuro-surgeon. He was in town to give a lecture on new surgical techniques at an international conference. A woman came up to our table and said she had seen a play I was in and how much she admired me and thought actors to be heroic and daring. I said "Really? My friend here is a neuro-surgeon." She said "Oh. So you, like...um, fix computers and stuff?"

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
And no disrespect meant towards anyone in that business, because there are a lot of very good people who happen to be celebrities, but let's get real here and let's get me off the soap box as well!!

No more speeches from me unless it's about British cars.

TR674

Jedi Warrior
Bricktop
sorry I can't help you, but I thought I would just let you know we don't have emission restrictions here in Oz for cars as old as my TR6. Mine is a standard injection model and goes like a cut snake. I sympathize with you having to run carbs with emission controls.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
The emission controls, pre 1975 aren't all that bad. EGR valve (most of witch end up sticking either open or closed and are easily "fixed") and an evaporative control system, which is not really a bad idea and doesn't hurt power at all. Beats the heck out of smelling gas fumes all summer.

The later air pump models, well, that's another story.