• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Change of pace on TR3 Resto

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Well, for the last couple of weeks, I've been working on the interior and needed a change to clear my head. I decided to mount the windscreen(s). :laugh:

Attachments

• 12532.jpg
    12532.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 422

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Art - That looks super. May I suggest that you do as I do. I have several ignition keys and they are all single keys, not attached to others on a ring or on a key fob. When you drive, the key fob or the key ring will swing from side to side and in no time at all, you will have worn the red finish off where the keys have been doing nothing except wearing off the vynyl finish.

Russ Austin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Very Sweet!

OP
martx-5

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Don Elliott said:
Art - That looks super. May I suggest that you do as I do. I have several ignition keys and they are all single keys, not attached to others on a ring or on a key fob. When you drive, the key fob or the key ring will swing from side to side and in no time at all, you will have worn the red finish off where the keys have been doing nothing except wearing off the vynyl finish.

My buddy Brian gave me the key fob as a gift when he came over for the initial firing up of the engine a couple of weeks ago. Of course, I had to put it on the key, but I guess I'll remove it. My dash is leather, do you think the fob by itself will wear the finish as easily as vinyl??

Another problem I'm going to run into is how to deal with the registration and inspection stickers that have to go on the "windsheild". They will just about fill the aeroscreen. Years ago, I had a seperate piece of plexiglass between the aeroscreens for the stickers. Police and the DMV were a lot more flexible 25 years ago.

OP
martx-5

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
PeterK said:
I like the A/C too. Bet that was a dealer installed item.

You know, I was working on car stuff in the basement last year, and saw the A/C unit just sitting there collecting dust. Best thing I ever did was put that thing in the garage. It's only 5k BTU and on 90+ degree days it has trouble keeping up, but this fall, I'm going to insulate the garage and that will help with both heating and cooling.

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Hi Art, Love the winshields! They are awesome.

Re: the sticker problem, I would talk to the local MVD and ask them what they suggest. I suspect your extra piece of plexiglass would work. Or, you could move down here to Tennessee and not have to worry about it at all! We even have a new club you could join.

Cheers, Tinkerman

PeterK

Yoda
I don't think that the stickers will matter because I don't believe that those windscreens are DOT approved. The beauty of the early 3's is that you can slide on the full windscreen for highways and use the racing screens for shows and around town.

I love the look, wish I had a set to fit my 58 - which came pre-drilled for Brooklands screens.

vivdownunder

Jedi Warrior
Nice job Art.

I've seen registration stickers on aeroscreen equipped cars affixed to a plastic sticker holder used for trailers, and bolted to a rear over-rider. It was accepted by authorities as it was permanently attached, and used an approved holder, although for a trailer. They couldn't come up with a better idea, and so flagged it through.

It looks like you've kept the aeroscreen brackets very near to the dash capping, which should allow you to fit the windscreen and hood, should you want cover on wet days. At least that's the way it worked out on the last set I fitted to a friend's TR2.

Incidently, they supply self tapping screws to affix the brackets. I didn't trust them and used small CSK stainless bolts, washers and nuts. A smack on the head at speed with an aeroscreen isn't ideal.

Regards,

Viv.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
My interior is red leather as well. I didn't want to test if a multiple key chain or key fob would do that. I just decided 18 years ago that I would not do it.

Now, there, you have another non-TRA specification that I have revealed. At one TRA concours I noticed a judge running his finger back and forth over the surface or the red interior. I remarked to him that I thought judges were only supposed to touch the car with their eyes. He admitted that was true, but he added, "I had to touch your red interior, I have never seen such a beautifully textured vinyl surface." I walked away and never told him it was all entirely leather. They still think it's lovely vinyl.

That photo was taken the first day it was back on the road in 1990 and you will notice my key fob as well. Since that day I have only ever used a single key.

Attachments

• 12538.jpg
    12538.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 327
V

vagt6

That's an absolutely lovey TR, Don.

I sure would like to have one of those sitting in my garage . . . :cryin:

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Mark - Since 1990, I've driven "TRusty" a little over 99,000 miles and last July at VTR in Penn. they awarded me 2nd in the "early TR3A" concours class with 384 points out of 400 among the 8 TR3A that were being judged.

TRcheologist

Art,

For what it's worth, I've used a similar key fob with two keys for eleven years and had no wear or discoloration on my tan leather dash.

OP
martx-5

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
TRcheologist said:
Art,

For what it's worth, I've used a similar key fob with two keys for eleven years and had no wear or discoloration on my tan leather dash.

Interesting. Maybe I'll just leave it on there and see how things go. I can always take it off if it's starts to show signs of wear. Besides, these cars seem to look better with a little patina on them. :laugh:

BTW Don, the "correct red" that you have does look better then mine, which is very bright. I would have be happier if it was a bit more subdued, but this is what was readily available. Besides, this car has so many other mods that concours judging is the last place this car will ever be. :thirsty:

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
My TR3A was fitted with a red leather interior according to the Heritage Certificate. However, the dash board appears to be covered in "Stelulite". I remember Bill Piggott included an old advert for this covering, which showed it in a TR3, but he had never seen the material "in the flesh". Presumably it was fitted from new. This is like a spray on covering with a texture like vinyl. It is quite thin, but hard and durable. My keys have caused a metallic mark.
The great advantage of this material is that there are no creases.

OP
martx-5

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
NickMorgan said:
My TR3A was fitted with a red leather interior according to the Heritage Certificate. However, the dash board appears to be covered in "Stelulite"...
The great advantage of this material is that there are no creases.

Interesting fact about this "Stelulite" stuff. I never heard of it before. I can't tell you the time and effort I went through to get the leather on my dash wrinkle free. I just hope it stays that way for awhile, because I really like the way it came out.

Edit: But notice how much brighter the red is then Don Elliott's interior. I like the shade of red he has better then mine. He says his is the original shade.

Attachments

• 12544.jpg
    12544.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 191

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
You have done a lovely job there. I imagine that leather is much more difficult to apply than vinyl. The crinkle finish looks great too.
I failed with crinkle on both of my TRs. The first one I just covered the centre panel with vinyl and the current one I ended up painting satin black.
I used a maroon vinyl on the car I restored.
ESJ090.jpg

OP
martx-5

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
vivdownunder said:
It looks like you've kept the aeroscreen brackets very near to the dash capping, which should allow you to fit the windscreen and hood, should you want cover on wet days. At least that's the way it worked out on the last set I fitted to a friend's TR2.

I should have replied to this post earlier. Yes, the brackets are fairly close to the capping...I believe about 3/4". I went over to my friend Brian to see his car as I wanted to see how he handled some of the interior trim. I also noticed how the windscreen was located and realized that I would have to put the brackets fairly close to the capping. I have the aeroscreens attached to the brackets coming in from the from at the moment. That keeps them out at a nice distance. I could turn them around and have them come into the brackets from the back, and that would leave enough room so the windscreen could be mounted with the aeros still in place. One of the guys in the Triumph club does it that way. With them mounted from the back, they start to get close to the steering wheel. You know, the crazy thing about the aeros is that when you sit in the car, they appear quite high, and I'm 6'2" tall. I have to look through them, just like the windscreen.