• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Any reason to not change the color of a Sprite?

JOeyKnapp

Jedi Hopeful
My 67 Sprite is Tartan Red. It isn't my favorite color. I will be repainting the whole car, so I was thinking of changing the color.

Is there any reason NOT to change the color? I don't think there is a color tied to the VIN?

Down the road if something happened and the spridget suddenly gained value would the color change hurt me? (there will not be any area not painted, and I am removing all the old paint as well..)

Thanks for any insight into this decision,

-JOey

Country flag
Unless you plan on making the rest of the car factory correct, then paint it as you like and enjoy it. Paint is not permanent, someone else can change it later if they like.

RickB

Yoda
I believe Heritage certificates list the color the car was when it left the factory. I could be wrong as I have not purchased one for any of my cars.
I believe you should paint the car a color that pleases you, these cars were meant to be driven and to put a smile on the owners face, as well as all who see them. Just my humble opinion. :smile:

Jer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
your right Rick, the Heritage Certificate does show the original factory colour that car was shipped with, the sheet for my 67 shows basilica blue, sure enough around the edge of the tranny fluid check rubber plug I found some evidence of that colour, aside from that previous owner did a good job with the "fleet red" paint job, even got it under the dash etc.
But as Trevor mentions if your not going for all original, do what you like, these cars don't command high enough prices (yet) to worry about paint colour in my opinion... having said that, I want to return my 67 to basilica blue (because I like that colour for some reason), however my 74 will stay red because I'm not a fan of the original harvest gold ? (it think that's the name for that yellow'y orange colour...)

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
JOeyKnapp said:
...if something happened and the spridget suddenly gained value...
:lol: HAHAHAhahahe hee ...er...ahem.
Yeah, no fear of that.
grin.gif
Bugeyes perhaps, but never run of the mill Spridgets.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
bthompson said:
JOeyKnapp said:
...if something happened and the spridget suddenly gained value...
:lol: HAHAHAhahahe hee ...er...ahem.
Yeah, no fear of that.
grin.gif
Bugeyes perhaps, but never run of the mill Spridgets.

Ahem! :nonono: I beg to differ, particularly in the case of the later Midget Big Blocks. :jester:

seriously, paint it whatever. (within tasteful reason) I was a common practice back in the day for dealers to repaint cars if the one in stock that the customer wanted was the wrong colour.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
JOeyKnapp said:
Wow, I have so much to learn.. I don't know anything about a Heritage Certificate...

Here's a link to the Heritage Certificate info: https://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/store/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=169 As far as color changes go, I doubt there would be a huge loss in value if you stick with one of the other colors originally offered. Paint it Dodge Plum Crazy, however, and your potential audience of future buyers may be somewhat reduced.

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Paint it what you want and have fun with it. No sense going for original on Spridgets unless you're going for a concours restoration, and I wouldn't advise doing that. I went with the original color based on nostalgia, as that color scheme matched the first Midget I ever got to drive when I was a teenager.

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
when i bought my third chassis I knew i wanted to build a coustom but i didn't know if i would want to drive it but every spring when the first girl smiles at me I am so happy that I dared to do it different!

Do what makes you happy and the whole world will smile back

trust me
steve