• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Carb float chambers

ceedub

Country flag
Finally got my '72 TR6 on the road after three and a half years of a frame off resto. One thing that I am noticing is the number of cranks required to start the motor after the car has been sitting for a couple of days. Once started, any subsequent starts during the day happen right away. The opinions that I have is that the float chambers are somehow becoming depleted of fuel after sitting for a few days requiring so many cranks for the pump to refill the bowls. Is there a possibility that the fuel is somehow siphoning back? There does not appear to be any fuel leaks around the bowl or pump. Would a one way valve in the fuel line be of any use? There does seem to be a slight gassy smell in the garage but I can't figure out where it is coming from. Any opinions as to a solution to keep these bowls full over time? Thanks.

Ceedub

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Check the plug and O-ring on the bottom of the float bowl. The O-rings dry out and they can leak.

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
And check the fittings that enter and exit the fuel pump....

Cheers
Tush

dklawson

Yoda
For the o-rings, don't feel obligated to buy a rebuild kit to get what you need. Measure the gland diameter and the cross-section of the old o-ring. I forget the exact size but these are seals you can source at a local bearing house or auto parts store. (They are inch size... and in inch o-rings, sizes are nominal... i.e. a 1/16" cross-section o-ring is really 0.070" thick... so loosely interpret the size you measure). Buy Viton if they have it. The original seal would have been Buna-N (Nitrile). Both materials are fine with gasoline but Viton holds up a little better/longer.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Maybe it's the choke that needs adjusting or the ignition timing is off.
BUT..there is a way to determine if there is fuel in the float chamber after the engine has been sitting idle for a few days..
If you want to try that, remove the air cleaner housing.
On the carb's air box mounting flange you'll see a round hole at about 10 o'clock, in between the 2 threaded holes...it's a vent.
Get a soda straw or tube and while lifting the air valve use the tube to blow into the vent.
If there is gas in the float chamber, it'll bubble up around the needle.

OP
C

ceedub

Country flag
Thanks for the tips folks. I did put a carb kit in with the restoration so the O-ring is new. Can't see or feel any leaks around the pump. I will give the soda straw a go to see if there really is any fuel in the bowl and get back to you. Is there any chance that fuel could be siphoning out of the bowl? I understand that the pump has a one way valve built in but who knows. Maybe another one way valve somewhere in the line would help if the bowl is empty?

Ceedub

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
No, I don't see the possibility of fuel syphoning out of the float chamber. The fuel level isn't high enough to reach the float chamber needle valve in the fuel inlet port.

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Check the valve in the fuel pump. They go bad once in a while and will not hold fuel or pressure if they set for any length of time. You can get rebuild kits, or a new one. Unscrew the out line after it sets a day or two and see if fuel is in the line.
Wayne