• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Air Filter Recommendations for My Tri-Carb

TONTONGUIGUI

Freshman Member
Country flag
hi all !!!

I was wondering which air filters to install on my TRICARB

I saw the KNs, the pipers

but there are also RAMflows with two installation heights ...

this would allow better access to the richness settings

what do you think of these air filters for road use ?

ramflo centre.JPG

ramflo down.JPG

there is even another one with no hole !!! to adjust the height ...
are they usefull ???

Country flag
I put something similar, probably larger, on my BJ8. The little plastic elbow for the sump vent tube was too restrictive; it caused excessive pressure under the valve cover and I ruined a valve cover trying to seal it up whilst on a long road trip (it was spraying oil on my windshield). That's the main reason I first went to a PCV setup. I'm not convinced foam is a particularly good filter media, either; I now run a 'custom' K&N setup.

WHT

Jedi Hopeful
Silver
Country flag
Hi TONTONGUIGUI,

I would not be afraid to use a quality foam filter. They can be very effective and long lasting when maintained.

I have never used the Ramflo foam filters, but foam filters are better than stock Austin-Healey metal mesh filters that only keep low flying birds and small children from being sucked into your carburetors. Obviously, a large surface area paper air filter is the best choice, but they are not available for our applications since they require a very large surface area to be effective and flow well.

A lot of good filter testing was done by the motorcycle community from 2005 to 2010 comparing filter flow rates and effectiveness. Either oiled mesh or oiled foam can be a filtering improvement over the original Coopers oiled wire mesh. And, the foam filters typically have a better air entry/intake flow pattern (like the Coopers filters) compared with most short, side entry mesh filters.

Quality oiled foam filters are more effective (filter better) and hold more dirt than quality oiled mesh filters; although, they have slightly less flow rate for the same surface area initially when they are perfectly clean (why oiled foam filters better); and they are used extensively in applications where dust and small dirt particles are a problem such as off-road motorcycle and automotive racing. K&N recommends foam "socks" over their mesh filters in dusty applications that require improved small particle filtering.

Of interest to us in real life applications, foam filters hold more dirt particles than mesh filters and will actually flow better than mesh filters as dirt is trapped between cleanings.

I would personally use a foam filter with a wire support grid inside of the foam filter if possible similar to ITG, and add a stub ram like APTFast.com sells. Please see the images below that compare paper, mesh and foam filters.

Good luck with your purchase!

Regards, Bill

EDIT1: The UNIFILTER is a foam filter and it should be compared with the paper filters and the K&N mesh filter shown in the charts.

EDIT2: People who use the Ramflo foam filter sometimes make a wire mesh frame inside of the foam for improved support.

Attachments

• Air Filter 1.JPG
    Air Filter 1.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Air Filter 2.JPG
    Air Filter 2.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 99
  • Air Filter 3.JPG
    Air Filter 3.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 112
  • Air Filter 4.JPG
    Air Filter 4.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 103
  • Air Filter 5.JPG
    Air Filter 5.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 129
  • Air Filter 6.JPG
    Air Filter 6.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Country flag
Something to think about:

That's just the first page of search results.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Something to think about:

That's just the first page of search results.
That would imply that only metal mesh filters should be used. Paper filters would also burn

WHT

Jedi Hopeful
Silver
Country flag
I really do not think quality foam filters are especially dangerous.

Modern foam air-filters are made of flame retardant material and use flame retardant oils. And, they should be cleaned with soap and water; not gasoline.

Any poorly adjusted carburetor, especially on 2-stroke engines, can cause a fire regardless of the filter material. Pleated paper filters are especially absorbent and dangerous on poorly tuned engines that spit gasoline. Gasoline is the primary burning agent and cause of the fire, not the filter material. And, the filter has to be absolutely saturated with gasoline. A simple backfire is unlikely to ignite an air filter even if it is manufactured from flammable materials.

Bob's reported fires mainly occurred from 2006 to 2011 if you go back and look at the posting dates. many of the fires were reported by young, motorcyclist riding poorly tuned and maintained 2-stroke bikes. More than one off-road motorcycle fire started because young riders removed their spark arrestors to increase air flow, washed their foam filter with gasoline in the field (because it was handy) and then oiled it with petroleum oil (again, because it was handy). I rode motorcycles off-road and saw it first hand.

These are the dates of his reported fires (his later posts were just reports of smoke (or simply vapor) coming from a filter after backfires):

Mar 25, 2009
05-13-2006, 05:45 PM
Posted May 19, 2008

Unfortunately, any air filter can catch on fire if it is saturated with gasoline. Below are scary stories about burning paper and K&N air filters. Hopefully, none of these stories should make us afraid to drive a properly tuned and maintained Healey.

Regards, Bill

2011 > air filter fire, K&N filters, etc <

had my air filter light up and smolder when my bike spit back mildly when starting it, got it out OK but don't want to repeat the experience....the element was a paper Fram, are others less flammable? a quick google search brought up some similar fires, interestingly looks like most were big singles and that maybe K&N elements are somewhat fire resistant but they get mixed reviews here. Does the K&N element that fits in the stock filter housing work well? got the one piece K&N clamp on replacement as a spare with the bike but from what I've read here (and heard from the PO) sounds like they are lousy for performance.

2011 > K&N air filters - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards <

Any car that backfires badly enough can catch on fire, it doesn't matter what kind of Air Filter is in it. Little hint: If your car is backfiring, Fix It!

2009: https://www.turbododge.com/threads/my-air-filter-caught-fire.250512/

Driving the car today... thinking how nice it was working for a change.changing from 3rd to 4th (not really pushing hard or anything, maybe only 5-8psi). the engine dropped off... like it lost fuel or something, no response from the gas pedal. suddenly got a blast of smoke into the interior or the car (think to myself - oh good, there goes another engine). then the car came back... started working fine... though seemed a little dragged out, almost like driving with the e-brake on. got to my shop to see what had happened, and found my air filter (k&n cone mounted on the turbo inlet) had completely burned up.

2011 > K&N air filters - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards <

Wow so i just noticed a huge mess of red k&N oil recharge gew that dripped from the air filter box, to the mounts of the air filter box lower, around the brake lines, under the brake cyl, down onto the lower fender plastic liner below the passenger side fog light. It also went back along the brake lines about 6 inches to just gew down by the up pipe.

I'm going to wash it tomorrow, any ideas on best degreaser? I'm going to use kitchen degreaser i figure that should do it with some hose action. Any other ideas? That k&n is super absorbant oil and is flammable according to the packaging.

The last thing i want is engine fire, and being tuned stock td04 with supporting mods to 19.5 psi things get *warm*

2006 > Air filter fire <

Seven years ago a customers car came in with the same condition. The bottom air cleaner box was burned away, filter mostly burned and air box lid melted. A lit cigarette entering the air box seams most likely. The driver would have noticed other sources of fire like fireworks thrown on the road or running over a barbecue grill.

2007 > K&N Air Filter - The Official 356Talk Forum <

Yep, mine caught fire that way on my Webers in my 65C coupe in 2007 and melted my aluminum velocity stacks, as well as burning some paint and wiring, and causing a repaint of the rear of the car all the way to the A pillars. I'm more careful now on carb adjustment and I keep a close eye on them, especially if I ever hear a backfire through the carbs. Also replaced the aluminum stacks with zinc alloy.

Last edited:

WHT

Jedi Hopeful
Silver
Country flag
Hi,

I just wanted to add one more air filter story. Please look at the Britishcarforums' "Similar threads"; "MGB Oiling foam air filters" posted in Oct 29, 2020 and listed immediately below this post. It is worth reading because it clearly illustrates some of the reasons foam filters were blamed for engine fires.

Regards, Bill

"Any suggestions on best method of cleaning and oiling the foam air cleaners on my 65 mgb with su carbs.
I hear all sorts of different advice from using gas to clean and engine oil to using specific cleaners and special oil.
how much oil etc. etc.
thanks"