• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Breather Tube - Oil dumping in air filter and carb

TrevorJ

Freshman Member
Hello,
I have a 1967 Healey 3000 MKIII BJ8....the breather tube that comes out of the valve cover and connects to the air filter of the rear SU HD8 carb....keeps dumping oil into the air filter and then into the carb.

Someone recommended that I take an empty quart of oil and attach it to the rubber hose...and let the oil drain into the empty quart.

Would anyone have any suggestions? Is it bad to have the oil in the air filter and then burn thru the carb?

Thanks!

OP
T

TrevorJ

Freshman Member
Thanks Rick. The entire engine was completely overhauled 1,600 miles ago.
Would that have been done during overhaul?

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I agree, this is the classic symptom of a worn rocker shaft. Easy to confirm by taking off valve cover and observing whether oil is dribbling out of rocker arms or spraying out. Dribbling is correct.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
HEY Trevor !!!
Try this under the tube coming out of the valve cover is a baffel. If the T shaped tube is screwed down to close to that inside baffel you can get the problem also. So try repositioning the tube to a higher level--Fwiw--Keoke-- :driving:

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Trevor,

My first thoughts are that since you have recently completed a full engine rebuild, there are three things that may cause this problem. First, if components such as rings and bushings have not seated correctly, or are yet to fully seat, you could have this type of problem. For example, shortly after rebuilding his engine, a friend added Slick 50 to his oil and the engine never did work in properly.

The second possibility is quite the opposite as it is the result of oil starvation causing excessive ware to some components (i.e. valve train bushings). In this case excessive ware was caused during engine break-in which, again, resulted in sloppy sealing.

The third cause could be a take-off of the first in that you are experiencing heavy combustion blow-by. In this situation, your rings are not sealing against the cylinders and, during combustion, excessive gasses are expelled into the crankcase. Excessive pressurized blow-by gasses, mixed with hot splashing oil, is pushed through you vent tube to escape into your rear carburetor[s air stream.

Although all three, and many more, could be a cause, the only way to identify the true problem is with some diagnostic engine excavation.

One way to relieve the oil from venting into your rear carburetor is through the implementation of an oil catch can. Consisting of a container that has been ¾ divided internally to form two chambers connected by a steal wool filled path across the bottom, this container will take in your crankcase output and condense and capture oily vapor prior to passing these crankcase gases on to your carburetor. A drain installed at the bottom of the oil catch can is provided for periodic elimination of the captured oil.

Good luck,
Ray (64BJ8P1)

Country flag
IMG_1475.jpg

IMG_1476.jpg

Country flag
Yep, looks like my days of adding pictures to threads here is over (all I see are the url links to the pictures, not the pictures themselves).

Must be something about the way Basil has it set up here, because I can post (and see) pictures from my new website/server on the BMW forums.

Sorry guys...

57_BN4

Randy, seems like your server is down... Also, [ img ] has to end in .jpg :square:

Andy.
PS TS gapless rings on their way, thanks.

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Trevor,

The following is a depiction of an Oil Catch Can that can be easily constructed or purchased.

Hope it helps.
Ray (64BJ8P1)

Oil%20Catch%20Can.JPG

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Trevor, call your rebuilder and ask if he replaced the rocker shaft and rebushed the rocker arms. Also, as I recently discovered, the oil line to the rocker assembly might be leaking.

Country flag
57_BN4 said:
Randy, seems like your server is down... Also, [ img ] has to end in .jpg :square:

Andy.
PS TS gapless rings on their way, thanks.
Server's online, but adding ".jpeg" made all the difference here (not required on the BMW forums...).

Thanks for the tip!

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Tre adding just JPG might even work bettter----Keoke--- :laugh:

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
If I should start another tread, I'd be happy to.

What should we use to clean the mesh in the air filters and after they are cleaned, should anything be applied to them after?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Naw it fits here OK. Generally any good parts cleaner like Gunk etc that you can soak them in then wash thoroughly with water. Mask off the screen and repaint. Fwiw--Keoke

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
After the mesh has been cleaned, should the mesh be coated with anything to help collect the dirt? Example, K&N has a spray for their air filters.