• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Carb Choke Cable

OP
D

ddeholl

Freshman Member
Country flag
Carb choke cable issue-help! Recently started up my BJ8 after several months in idle. I found that the cable to the rear carb was sticking, and was able to release the primary cable from the dash at the "body" (Moss part 125) and lube the carb choke cables. Good news, each carb cable works fine. Bad news, I cannot get the primary cable back into the little block (Moss 128) . The set screw damaged the 1/16 cable so that a few of the fibers in the cable are "off", and cannot get into the block. If you feel the cable, it is what in the Navy we called "Fish hooks" in much bigger cables. So I just got a new Primary Carb choke cable from Moss. That was NOT without looking at what it would require to put it in. Looks like very difficult access.
So here is my dilemma, I can keep trying to get the old cable to work (suggestions?), or I can try and pull the old cable out of the old sheath, and push in the new cable ( sizes appear to be the same). What I can't see is what is the locking mechanism for the individual carb choke cables to that little block (again Moss 128) . Seems as if taking out the old cable from the old sheath and trying to put in the new cable from the new sheath might be risky.

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
One trick we used to do with motorcycle throttle cables is to get all the individual wires laying snugly together in their natural undisturbed twist and "tin" the last inch or so of the cable with solder. Wiping off the excess before it cools. If you can get solder to stick (need to de-grease it well), it will prevent individual wires from un-raveling as you push it thru the outer cable housing and thru the trunnion.

OP
D

ddeholl

Freshman Member
Country flag
One trick we used to do with motorcycle throttle cables is to get all the individual wires laying snugly together in their natural undisturbed twist and "tin" the last inch or so of the cable with solder. Wiping off the excess before it cools. If you can get solder to stick (need to de-grease it well), it will prevent individual wires from un-raveling as you push it thru the outer cable housing and thru the trunnion.
Thanks, I will try that. I am afraid I erred in making the detachment at the Primary (dash to "block").

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
That is strange, I seem to have a single wire as my primary cable on the BJ7, I replaced the Primary system back in 2013 but I can not remember if it was just the knob or the whole thing. The bit of cable showing looks to be reasonably fresh so I guess that it was the whole system.

:cheers:

Bob

Dr. Smoke

Country flag
My problem as well. Now that it is getting colder, I need my choke. But, pulling it out from the dash to engage the choke, it will not pull. Is there any way to lubricate this without taking the choke assembly apart?
Smoke

Country flag
Not necessarily a cure, but if you press the accelerator pedal to the floor before pulling on the choke at least you won't be fighting the throttle return springs (since SUs don't have an accelerator pump you don't risk flooding). My preferred lubricant for this type of applications, like speedo cables, is silicone lubricant; it tends to attract less gunk than petroleum products. I'm not sure, but I don't think the cable sheaths are lined, squirting some into the end and along the cable might help.

LAW75

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Carb choke cable issue-help! Recently started up my BJ8 after several months in idle. I found that the cable to the rear carb was sticking, and was able to release the primary cable from the dash at the "body" (Moss part 125) and lube the carb choke cables. Good news, each carb cable works fine. Bad news, I cannot get the primary cable back into the little block (Moss 128) . The set screw damaged the 1/16 cable so that a few of the fibers in the cable are "off", and cannot get into the block. If you feel the cable, it is what in the Navy we called "Fish hooks" in much bigger cables. So I just got a new Primary Carb choke cable from Moss. That was NOT without looking at what it would require to put it in. Looks like very difficult access.
So here is my dilemma, I can keep trying to get the old cable to work (suggestions?), or I can try and pull the old cable out of the old sheath, and push in the new cable ( sizes appear to be the same). What I can't see is what is the locking mechanism for the individual carb choke cables to that little block (again Moss 128) . Seems as if taking out the old cable from the old sheath and trying to put in the new cable from the new sheath might be risky.
The choke unit, new, cost about $25-30. Skip the frustration and buy then install. Good idea?