• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bypassing Emission Controls

knad2208

Freshman Member
I have a rotten egg-like smell that occurs after letting off the gas or during long drives. Once started, it continues. I removed the catalytic pipe and replaced it with a straight pipe. Smell came back just as bad. I removed a black canister from the upper right side of the engine compartment that is labelled as an emission control device. It was full of charcoal and some plastic filters. The hoses running out of this thing were cut and ran into nothing. There was only one hookup to a pipe attached to the firewall which ran down below the engine. I have removed the canister and plugged the hose. Am I going to get into trouble with the function of the engine?

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
That's an evaporation control canister. The activated charcoal absorbs the gasoline vapor from the tank, so it doesn't end up in the atmosphere. It's pretty benign, so there is no real benefit in disabling it. I doubt it is responsible for the rotten-egg (sulfur dioxide) smell, which may be normal. In any case, you probably shouldn't plug the hoses that went to the canister, as they are needed to allow air to go into and out of the tank.

OP
knad2208

knad2208

Freshman Member
The cat is gone. A new straight pipe was installed (that needs some bending!). I did lift the car up and looked underneath. The transmission housing looks to be coated in tranny fluid. There are drops hanging from the screw plugs. Also, some of the fluid has coated the underneath of the floor boards a bit. Could that fluid (it appears to have a red tine) make that smell from the heat of the exhaust?

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I have to agree with Kim that the convertor is really the only source of sulfer dioxide (rotten egg smell) although the engine will make other smells if fuel mix is rich.

Catalytic convertor is "#31" below. Attached to the bottom of the exhaust manifold.

That's what you took off......right?

SPM-015_1.gif

Better late than never- i just looked at Knad's car- there is No converter and the smell persists. There is gear oil leaking from the tranny. It is possibly the source. I would think that i would see stains on the pipe were it drips and burns off. But i dont. It is a gunpowder/sulfer /rotten egs smell. Could something be cooking in the tranny? no smoke is evident, just the smell. Isn't there sulfur in gear oil? Is it possible the oil has broken down ? Grasping at straws here....

mark

Do you have a recommendation on where to get the redline oil for a 1500?

thanx
Mark

2 for you 2 for me