• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Bonnet Latch Cable/1972 Emission pic

bailee2

Jedi Hopeful
Need help identifying how the cable is clamped. The car was in pieces and I do not have a reference. None of my books have a pic of it.

I also need a pic of a 1972 emission diagram. Seems the 72 was a experimental year.

Sorry, I do not have a green or red Roadster Factory Book.

everything else out there is vague.

thanks
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/nopity.gif

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
1972 looks pretty simple here.

https://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=32761

Mine (modified 1974) is a lot simpler. One line from bottom of front carb to vacuum retard unit. Everything else in spare parts box. That's all you need with the single advance or retard on the distributor.

That silly switch in the upper radiator hose is gone too, so that's why you would only need one ported vacuum source.

valvecover 009 (Custom).jpg

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Does this help for your bonnet latch attachment?

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I recommend a couple of cable locks.
Better safe ,than to toil with a slipped cable.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Note the emergency release on the side of my latch in the close up. Never leave home without one!

T

Tinster

And here's what the emergence hood release
latch looks like. I use mine as the primary
hood release since it works so much easier.
The pull end is in the passenger's foot well.

You can purchase these units or make one if you
have a bench grinder at home.

latch.jpg

Tinster /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif with Paul

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Dang it, somewhere I have a nice photo of Dan Master's set up. It is an electric emergency, or probably , main bonnent release set up. It is cool. Uses a hot rod mechanism

bunzil

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Ok, riddle me this one Batman....I have yet to make my emergency hood release...but for giggles, why haven't you guys placed it on the other side of the same bolt hole?
It would therefore be virtually invisible?

After we solve get this one out of the way, we'll move onto how those pesky Egyptians built the pyramids.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I'd like to see that, if manually operable. Any idea where to see or find out about one?

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]...but for giggles, why haven't you guys placed it on the other side of the same bolt hole?
It would therefore be virtually invisible?
[/QUOTE]

OK, young grasshopper, let me show you the way......

Please note, that in the picture below, you can see the bend in the release lever, that will not fit inside the latch assembly if reversed.

Secondly, note the downward angle of the rod that goes through the firewall to the passenger compartment. If you tried to mount it on the other side, it would be directly in line with the heater hoses.

No heater? No problem, for that part, but the inner side of the latch is still an issue. There is a screw and bushing with a nyloc nut on the other side pf my installation. Dale's is a bit different and he has no heater.

tricarbconv 002 (Custom).jpg

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Brosky said:
I'd like to see that, if manually operable. Any idea where to see or find out about one?

Paul,it is something Dan put together from some Hot rod place that specializes in electronic door locks and such.

OP
B

bailee2

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks Paul,
As I mentioned above this car was in a thousand pcs and I had no documentation. My last TR6 was a a good driver and when I sold it had never been apart.

The other clamps I am interested in is what holds the bonnet cable from touching the battery posts when routed across the engine bay.

On the Emmisions.........What is the actual tube routing and where does the Thermostatic Switch mount. I have none of those parts and according to Moss are NLA. So I guess I will try ebay and souce the parts.

Thanks again for the superb pics!

1959 TR3A Restored
1972 TR6 in-restoration

swift6

Yoda
bailee2 said:
Thanks Paul,

The other clamps I am interested in is what holds the bonnet cable from touching the battery posts when routed across the engine bay.

On the Emmisions.........What is the actual tube routing and where does the Thermostatic Switch mount. I have none of those parts and according to Moss are NLA. So I guess I will try ebay and souce the parts.

For the hood release cable, it should be covered in a vinyl sheath to begin with so that even if it touched the terminals nothing should happen. Mine runs below the battery low enough and the jacket is stiff enough that it keeps it away from the posts.

The Moss catalog shows a pretty good illustration for the different years emission equipment/routing. here, here, and here. The thermostatic switch mounts in the top radiator hose. There is actually two short upper radiator hoses when using the thermostatic switch. As you can see though, my '72 no longer uses that switch.

2.jpg

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Bailee, look at Shawn's and my upper radiator hoses. No more switch as in "you don't need it".

Do you have a distributor with a single or the double vacuum advance/retard units? If son, you may need it, now that I think of it.

If you have a vacuum single unit, forget about it and buy a one piece upper hose.

OP
B

bailee2

Jedi Hopeful
My distributor is a single vacuum unit.
Thanks.

BTW, Great photos guys. I appreciate your taking time to take them.
I hope my car is as nice as yours when done.

My problem with not knowing how something actually went together bites you in the butt at car shows. Example, you put something together the way you think it should go with the info you had to work with and someone points out "why did you put that together that way".

I get upset with those people myself because I just spent the last year absorbed in putting this car back together and I'm to close to the project. I don't like to pick someone elses car apart because I know feelings can get in the way.

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]"why did you put that together that way".
[/QUOTE]

I see and hear people like that all of the time at shows and occasionally someone is stupid enough to ask me a question like that with a sarcastic tone to it. I'm 6'1" and weigh 210 and don't take much crap from anyone, nor do I ever give much.

The last time some jerk did that, I politely asked for his press credentials. When he said that he had none, I apologized and I told him that I assumed that he was from the press, because every other knowledgeable Triumph owner had been doing it that way for years.

The snickers from the others listening in and the look of embarrassment on his face; PRICELESS.

He did stop back and tried to be nice. I can't type what I said privately to him because Basil has rules about conduct here on the forum.

swift6

Yoda
bailee2 said:
My problem with not knowing how something actually went together bites you in the butt at car shows. Example, you put something together the way you think it should go with the info you had to work with and someone points out "why did you put that together that way".

I get upset with those people myself because I just spent the last year absorbed in putting this car back together and I'm to close to the project. I don't like to pick someone elses car apart because I know feelings can get in the way.

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

Simplest way to deal with that situation is this. Its your car, do it the way you want to. Unless your looking to build a completely accurate concours car, which obviously, neither Paul and I are worried about. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Sure I have seen some strange things done to some cars. Some things are pure sacrilege but I generally keep my mouth shut. Don't forget that someone may be asking because they are genuinely curious and not accusing.

While re-assembling my car, I was once 'lectured' by another local club member about painting my car a non-factory color (he was in the process of restoring a 1974 TR6). I told him to do his car his way and to let me do mine my way. The first car show that both of our cars attended after they were back together was a popular choice show. I took first, he took second and I happily delivered his second place ribbon to him. Recently he told me that he is getting bored with his TR6 while I am far from bored with mine.

T

Tinster

"My problem with not knowing how something actually went together bites you in the butt at car shows"

It bites even worse when you're trying to get a
DPO butchered car operational and have no clue how
things are suppose to go together or even what's missing.

d