• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

CA Emission Laws

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
According to the CA DMV website ( https://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm#BM2536 ) cars model year 1975 and older are exempt. I wish the rolling 30 was still in effect... last year would have been my last... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif

OP
S

Sharpish

To Nunyas, Re: CA Emission Laws

darn them!!! Nunyas, my buddy has a 1976 BMW 2002 and I could swear that he registered it this year smog exempt. He had it sitting in his garage for years waiting for the day to come...I may be mistaking, but I think it is 1976 and before. Maybe they counted 2005 as a year on Jan. 1?

Bret

Yoda

I still get a throbbing in my forehead whenever I think about it. But unless our state legislators pull their collective butts out of their backsides & change the laws to something more collector car friendly we're going to have to smog test our vehicles forever.

Only other choice is to move I guess.

LLAngus

Jedi Knight

My 73 MGB GT was smog exempt. I went to AAA to have the car transferred. They can run it through no smog. At least that is what one agent to the person doing mine.

OP
S

Sharpish

It's crappy, but it makes me not even LOOK at anything newer than 1975. I pretty muck got the Midg for free or I probably wouldn't even deal with it...

LLAngus

Jedi Knight

The same here. I got mine for a dollar. I have to unstick the floats after driving it for a week. I can't wait for the weekend so I can get my fix of grease.

LLAngus

Jedi Knight

Just a note are you in Nor or So CA. Especially since your hobby is wine

LLAngus

Jedi Knight

Ukiah here. We'll get together some time as I once worked for Fetzer and am willing to show you around.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

Awright, awready!!! Enuff of the CA wine talk!!! I've spent sooo much of me "lunch money" on Herself's B inna last six months, I'm forced back onto the CAB (Cheap A** Beer) budget...

Onna third hand, you COULD be generous and ship a case of some Chianti-like vintage down here to Florida... strictly as incentive for me to finish the B, y'see. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

Yup, I'm the perfect example of a bad example:

"We are the people our parents warned us about!" - Jimmy Buffett

Bret

Yoda
Re: To Nunyas, Re: CA Emission Laws

[ QUOTE ]
Champagne taste, beer budget. That's always been my problem...

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

I always laugh when my mom’s boyfriend drowns on about being a professional chef. Don’t get me wrong the guy can cook to be sure, but he looses some credibility when you open his refrigerator & find it full of Budweiser. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

OP
S

Sharpish

That's funny...That's my line of work!!! Us cooks will drink whatever we can get our paws on!!! LOL

Morris

Yoda

I love to talk about booze, too, but on the subject of emissions (lol) I am working on a fuel injection retrofit kit for Midget 1500s that should get you passed any emmission test they can throw at you. It will use all the car's original emission equipment and should modestly improve power and fuel economy. It is my hope to offer this kit to the public sometime next year. The price range should be in the $800 to $900 range.

Morris "Guiness in the fridge" '79 Midget

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag

for the sake of simplicity, I assume it's going to be throttle body injection, no?