• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

After Marke slave cylinder for clutch hydraulics?

danielnorton

I'm a new owner and have run into my first mechanical problem, I blew the clutch hydraulic slave cylinder. I see both Lockheed and after market type are available, wondering if anyone has experience with the after market ones and if I might be ok to save a little and go in that direction.

Thanks!

Daniel

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Noop, get a good one, Lockheed or equal.

OP
danielnorton

danielnorton

Wow, that was fast /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
That's what I figured and as much as I want to save $$ I'd rather not be doing this again in a month /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I see 3 different hoses available as well from moss
any reason to go with the stainless steel braided or will a standard hose work well enough for general street use?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Standard hose is fine for prob 20 years of street use. Save a buck.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oh look in the knowledge section for the advise on modifying your slave cly so you can get it on easly.

Morris

Yoda
Re: After Marke slave cylinder for clutch hydrauli

Hi Daniel,

Have you considered rebuilding the slave cylinder you have? It's a pretty easy job, and is way cheaper than buying a new cylinder.

OP
danielnorton

danielnorton

I'm really a newbe at this stuff, the slave cylinder is actually pretty new, the guy I bought the car from suggested rebuilding as well, I'm just not sure what that involves, I do have a restoration book coming, but I wanted to take the chance to work on the car over the Christmas weekend. The car is out of state at my sister's house.

Another really silly question... what type of fluid do I put in the clutch master cylinder? I keep reading dot 4, but what I find is dot 4 brake fluid, is this the same thing?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Yep, same stuff.

spritenut

Luke Skywalker

To rebuild a slave, you can do it on the car.
Get the kit, around $10 max. Get some Castrol brake fluid. (dot 4) Jack up the car, support it on a stand, remeve the cotter pin and clevis pin holding the rod the the release bearing fork. (pliers is all you need) Pop off the dust boot, watch for fluid pouring out. the piston and cup will (should) slowly move out, if not, have someone step on the clutch slowly, it will pop out. Replace the rubber seal, push the piston back in, replace the dust boot, pin and cotter and bleed the system.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Hmm, no honeing Frank?

bugimike

Yoda

I agree with Jack, unless it all looks nice clean and shiny and clean fluid comes out

What a new slave cylinder, $60, most of us would not bat a eye spending that or more on dinner, buy a new one and be done with it.

OP
danielnorton

danielnorton

The slave looked pretty clean/shiny and clean fluid was coming out when I pressed the clutch .. maybe I'll order the rebuild kit and a new slave and once I get under the car, make the call as whether to rebuild or not, I can always return the slave if I don't use it.

what's involved in honing it?

-Daniel

Morris

Yoda

You can "borrow" a brake cylinder hone from Autozone or another big chain parts house. Basically, a hone is a tool with three arms that have abrassive stone surfaces. You put this tool on a drill then use it to "clean up" the walls of the slave cylinder. It's kinda like sanding them smooth.

Hap, I agree that $60.00 is no big deal, but there are so many other opportunities to spend "just $60" on our cars that it adds up to quite a few decent dinners for two when all is said and done. Rebuilding the clutch hydralics is easy (and dare I say) fun.

Daniel, you may consider rebuilding your Clutch master why you are in there and using DOT 5 (or "Synthetic") fluid. It's much easier on your seals and your paint should you spill some. I wouldn't use DOT 5 if you do not rebuild/replace the clutch master too.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

Removal from the car. And a "Brake Cylinder Hone" on a hand drill.

Once you've got it off, there's no good reason (other than perhaps a learning exercise) to NOT replace it with a new Lockheed unit anyway. But by all means get the kit too and give the old one a hone in case it's not pitted and is rebuildable. That makes the rebuild a bench job, and if no pits you've a spare!

EDIT: And welcome to one of the best resources you'll find to keep the beast rolling! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

bugimike

Yoda

Besides, its the "Zen" of LBCs. If you don't go through it, then just take it down to the corner garage and let them do it? Nah!

OP
danielnorton

danielnorton

Thanks for the welcome and all the great advice, I think I'll pull the slave cylinder... if it looks prefect, maybe try and rebuild without the honing, if not I'll replace it and hone it and keep it as a backup.

So basically, if I stick my finger inside and the walls feel perfectly smooth, it's still good and if not I'll need to hone?

As for rebuilding the master, that will likely have to wait till the spring, but seems like a good idea in the long run.

As for bleeding, is something like eezibleed worth it, I'll have someone to help me so it doesn't need to be a one person job.

fmichaels

Jedi Knight

i see your sprite is a 67. i am rebuilding a 67 myself. i would appreciate any pictures of the engine compartment if you could. i'm not sure what condition yours is in but whatever you could provide would help ... oh and welcome!

OP
danielnorton

danielnorton

I'll be up to see the car the weekend of the 23rd, I'll shoot some pics then. Except for the clutch slave, the engine/car run great. Anything in particular you;d like to see a close up of?