• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Clutch Slave Cylinder

GaryBeu

Banned
Well, what with heart attacks and operations I'm just now getting around to the Clutch slave cylinder repair. It was~sometimes~refusing to go into any gear and the fluid was slowly leaving. I have the slave off and appears that the PO did weird things there in addition to all the other weird things he did. I'm planning to order a new one on Monday if I can figure out what parts come with the new one and what parts don't. I'm attaching some photos of what I found...unbelievable !! Also, no cotter pin in the fork clevis bolt and the spring is not there. BTW where will I find line wrenches to remove the hose from where it attaches to the hard line? And does anyone know the sizes I need? I'm really a PI aren't I? :eek: Thanks.

Clutch SC  (1).jpgClutch SC  (2).jpgClutch SC  (3).jpgClutch SC  (4).jpgClutch SC  (5).jpgClutch SC  (6).jpg

Flash_Harry

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Gary,
You might consider calling Gordon Strickland at the B-Hive in Clemson, SC. He is knowledgeable about MGs and has always been a help to me. I'm just another satisfied customer...
Harry

1-800-652-4483
https://www.thebhive.com/index.html

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
Like the news woman on Saturday Night Live used to say after screwing everything up..."Never Mind". What I should have done in the first place was just give the slave cylinder to Carla and say "Can you figure out how to totally disassemble this thing and decide what parts we need?" That's what I finally did and now all is well and I know what I need. Sure was a lot of nasty fluid in it though wasn't there?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Gary -

I have a brand new one, if you need it - $20 + shipping and it's yours.

Mickey

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Send Mickey a Jackson! And replace the hose as well.

...oh... and there is no return spring on the linkage down there.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I agree with Doc, get the new one from Mickey! I've rebuilt them and it's not worth the time or money. 20 bucks is a great price for a new one! :encouragement: JMHO. PJ

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hey, did anyone notice Gary said it worked!!! Swamp mud must be cheaper than what I have been using.
Amazing little cars.

Wayne

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
Yeah Wayne...just pump them full of swamp mud and they work just fine !! :smile:

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
So I don't want to spend $100 - $150 for a set of line wrenches. Can't seem to get a normal wrench on the pipe and hose for this cylinder. Does anyone know what sizes I need to disconnect at the chassis? Thanks.

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Gary, buy a cheep set of box end wrenches and take a dremmel and cut a slot out of the end big enough to fix over the pipe. Almost all the fittings on the MGB are standard American and the pipes and bleed screws are 7/16. Get the hose side of the slave loose before taking it off the car.
Seems odd you are having to pay so much for a line wrench, check out for a Harbor Freight near you or a Northern Hydraulics.

Wayne

Flash_Harry

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
Thanks Harry...couldn't find them on the Harbor Freight site.

Flash_Harry

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Glad to help. And I need to replace the clutch slave hose myself. I feel your pain.
Harry

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
A six-point box end can be cut to work. ISTR the fittings at the chassis are 9/16" and/or 5/8". The flex-line hex is 3/4" here.

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
I bought the flare nut wrenches at Harbor Freight for $9.99...they fit. BUT the top hose fitting is hindered by the starter so I had to pull the starter. What a PITA...who designed these cars ???? Of course the bolts on the starter and the solenoid were already quite loose !!!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I bought the flare nut wrenches at Harbor Freight for $9.99...they fit. BUT the top hose fitting is hindered by the starter so I had to pull the starter. What a PITA...who designed these cars ???? Of course the bolts on the starter and the solenoid were already quite loose !!!

The car was just being helpful -- now you know you needed to tighten up the starter bolts. See, it was helping you out... :grin:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:lol:

...I'd put a wrench to the bolts holding the gearbox to the engine and be sure they are snug as well, just for drill...

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
I suspect that you're correct Doc...I'm still finding things after 3 years !! Probably should have done a restoration right down to the frame...

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
Update...Got the starter back in after doing a tap and die job on the bolts and holes. Since the bolts were loose they had buggered everything up. The flex hose was quite a PITA but it's back on and I'm now ready to install the new slave cylinder that I got from Mickey. Almost done !! :smile:

Lynn Kirkpatrick

Jedi Hopeful
You can get onto the line nut from above if you have a set of crow feet that fit your ratchet. I bought a set of tubing fitting crow feet from Harbor freight pretty cheap. I think the 1/2" fit. You'll need a couple of extensions (the wobble extensions from Harbor Freight work great). Just hope it ain't rusty down there. Use some Blaster. The nut on the hose is 15/16", but a regular socket will fit.
Good Luck.