Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rack & Pinion Conversion Healey 3000 1964

Chats

Rack & Pinion Conversion Healey 3000 1964

Just looking through my latest edition of Hemmings and found an ad for 64 3000Mk III with rack & pinion steering.
    ??Is anyone aware of an available conversion for Big Healey's??
    Thanks
    R&M
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif[/img]

Jedi Hopeful
    Chats

Re: Rack & Pinion Conversion Healey 3000 1964

I'm not aware of a commercially available conversion. It's a fairly complex project. You can check out the modified site if you want more information.

Chats

Thanks,
    I saw the ad for the Healey in Hemmings and wondered if anyone was aware of a commecially avaible conversion as my Triumph will out handle my Healey in a heart beat with the rack & pinion. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif[/img]

Michael Salter (Precision Sports Car in Canada) did this conversion from an MG B. An image is attached. More info is available at Larry Varley's website http://www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/ahx12-1.html

Michael did at least think about making a conversion kit available, but I don't know if he did or not. You might want to check with him: msalter@precisionsportscar.com

Hope that helps.

Lin
    1960 BT7 in restoration
    1959 Bugeye
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1959 AN5 Bugeye
    1960 BT7 3000 MKI
    1964 Jaguar MK2

[ QUOTE ]
    as my Triumph will out handle my Healey in a heart beat with the rack & pinion. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Not sure how you define "handling". Ability to go around corners quickly, steering responsiveness to small changes, braking ability, general perception of "feel", or what? All are part of handling. It's rather subjective & defined differently by different drivers.

If you are comparing the later model Healey to the Spitfire, the weight & size differences alone will make a huge difference in feel/handling of the two cars. The rack & pinion steering would likely make little difference in the Healey's feel, certainly minimal difference in overall handling.

The steering gear ratios, turns lock to lock, make a tremendous difference in responsiveness to small steering wheel inputs. The Spitfire likely has a faster steering ratio than the later Healeys. Early Healeys had a quicker steering ratio than the later models & combined with less weight, a different feel. Overall handling is not that much different.

Rack & pinion steering is often used on Healey V8 conversions since it has less bulk, takes up less engine compartment room, & the steering column can be easily U jointed to go around engine parts.

For all out, at the limit, driving R&P does give a little better feel, & can be more easily modified for optimum steering geometry in a competition car.
    D

Chats

What R & M means Dave,is when you give the Rumph a bit of handle the back end comes around quicker.--Keoke- [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]
    1966 Daimler V8 Saloon; Safely Fast, Built to Last & and; Smooth as Glass.
    1966 BJ8 [ 2 ] Lil Red & Miss bLU
    1985 XJ6 Saloon
    1948 & 70 Lincoln continentals
    1973 Volvo P1800ES

It seems I remember a tech tip on the Healey nasty boy site about the MGB conversion.

Chats

Yes Patton, I think so.Also, there was a young Chap up in The State of Wasington that put a Wankel Engine and a R&P in a 100 including a BJ8 wooden dash. Can't remember his name at the moment and have not heard from him in years. Test runs indicated the car was very stable and faster than a speeding bullet-no red line on that engine you know--Keoke
    1985 XJ6 Saloon
    1973 Volvo P1800ES

I believe I read that R&P steering was considered for the original AH 100. The designers felt that the R&P units available at the time, although cheaper, would have marginal strength for the application & so went with the other arrangement.
    D

Chats

Probably so Dave. However, you know DMH wanted a V8 engine so bad he could taste it but nobody would sell him one.I think perhaps the R & P thing may be in that same catagory.Contrastingly, Jensen obviously had no problem obtaining the Chrysler Hemi for their cars. Ford also sold V8 engines to other british car makers, so who knows what really went on back there other than a lot of people in the British Motoring enclave made a lot of bad decisions IMOP.--Keoke
    1985 XJ6 Saloon
    1973 Volvo P1800ES