• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

window crank hints?

Bill Redd

Jedi Hopeful
Anyone with any suggestions on how to re-install the window crank handle on a TR6?

It seems as if the hole is inset even further on some of the replacement window mechanisms. It's a tough job to begin with, but this makes it even more difficult!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Bill R

G

Don't try to use those ridiculous springs. I feel they serve no purpose. I use an ice pick to push everything back then using a pair of hemostats, I carefully insert the pin from the top then tap it home. Once you get the knack, it ain't that bad.

bunzil

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Agree. Long hemostats, preferably with a slight bend to them, with a tight grip is the way to go. Begin by placing the crank just at the beginning of the key. Then insert the pin with the hemostats into the hole on the crank. Then simultaneously apply pressure against the pin while pushing the crank inwards. If the pin is not too far in, it will "ride" along the key and when the hole is reached the pin will slide in. The purpose of the springs on the back is (I think) to keep the door panel nicely pressed up against the assembly for esthetic purposes. Also, the pressure of the spring against the crank arguably keeps the pin in place. It's very easy with hemostats. If you don't have a pair, most local hardware stores seem to have a bargain bin filled with items like hemostats.
Or, if you have the patience to wait, they are a dime a dozen, almost, on the net.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I ifnd it helps to have my wife stand outside the door and press the panel in (just a little bit longer dear). Frees up my hands to fiddle with the pin.

Some use a long piece of coat hanger of similar diameter as the pin. Deeply notch (file or hack saw) the long wire at a point equal to the length of the pin. Once that end of the wire is in the hole bend it back & forth to break it off at pin length. Haven't had to try that myself but might be useful if you're solo and having trouble with the pin.

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
I bought a drift pin to insert into the hole then with needle nose pliers put the pin in.

T

Tinster

I'm with Bill-
Toss the springs in the recycle bin.

I use 1/16" diameter, sharp pointed awe to locate the
hole and keep the handle in place after I push in the door
panel.

Long skinny needle nosed pliers to hold and insert the pin.

It's a pain in the butt for sure.

d

OP
Bill Redd

Bill Redd

Jedi Hopeful
Geo Hahn:

That might be a good idea! It seems that the replacement window lifts have the hole inset slightly more than the original ones (or, it at least looks that way on mine!).

Having more control over getting that pin in the right spot may do it.

conan69

Country flag
That job is done, some times you just have to get the big red hammer out and every thing gets right real fast!

Dale may need a gun!

OP
Bill Redd

Bill Redd

Jedi Hopeful
Conan69:

And I had justed lined up a hemostat....
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
I agree that the spring is a pain but dont pitch it!! heat it just enough to weaken it for easy use(hemostats again!!) If you have no spring,at some point you will find the handle will fall off.(the door demons love to eat drift pins)
MD(mad dog)

tr6_easyrider

Jedi Hopeful
I have not tried this nor seen it done, but read a tip somewhere, to use a rod the same dia. as the pin, score the rod too the right lenght and insert, bend a few times to snap it off. Finding a rod the right dia. maybe a bit of a challenge.
Joe

conan69

Country flag
New window winder's handle shaft is shorter plus the new door panels = the hole for the handle pin is inside the door panel. This is the second winder on two different cars in month span. MOSS custom deluxe panel kits are installed on both cars and all other door and window handels go on with the normal amount of frustation. Will inform MOSS but you know there is more of these out there.

G

To add to the problem of poorly made window crank handles (all are made in Taiwan), I break off the black plastic knobs off my handles on a regular basis, like one a year. On on number five, and it is not door-specific. Really, really poorly made.

bunzil

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Silly Bill. He's assumed the windows can be cranked up and down. What a laugh.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
NE Triumphs installation tip calls for a heavy coat hanger from your local cleaners. Score as described above then bend to break off.