• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Window Channel Ford Prefect

algot1901

Bronze
Country flag
I have installed the new window channel in the doors, but I have a problem with the driver window (only one installed) it is extremely hard to roll up or down and I have lubricated the channel which helped a bit, anyone else had this problem?

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
My windows have always been a little hard but I think it was the regulators rather than the channel. I got new channel material locally but will not install until after painting is done.

OP
algot1901

algot1901

Bronze
Country flag
I keep my son busy researching the problems that keep popping up, at first I thought I got the wrong window channels as they offer several types but where the channel goes into a track at the bottom of the window opening it pinches really tight and I believe this is my problem. There are a lot of quirks in this car and the engineering is somewhat like a Yugo. Why did they use slotted screws Phillips head was in wide use by the 50's also some bolts are metric and some SAE, doors are non-adjustable unless you have a port-a-power, and no bolts to hold the doors just slotted screws, and why the gap between the door and the body. Some of the parts for this car can be found at various ford sites, Bob Drake is a good source and if you send them your measurements they get right back to you.
My Prefect has a spare-tire door below the boot and for what ever reason there are no hinges just two tabs that hold it too the bottom and a latch on top but one good bump and the tire door will fall of which must be the reason it was all beat up.

Attachments

• 20220316_195850.jpg
    20220316_195850.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 56

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
First, I gotta say it is really looking great at this point. Maybe I can get mine painted by this fall, I hope.
Pretty much every fastener has been off my '48 Prefect and I have never found anything metric. And can you be more specific about the gap between doors and body, photo maybe? I can't add much on the spare tire door except to say the British builds were like that and I have not seen any other complaints about it. Maybe the tabs are bent or distorted. Mine seems to be unique in that it has an extended boot like the Aussie builds although it is English build. Best guess is that it was an experiment to see if more luggage space might help North American sales.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
This may be old info but when we were restoring British cars we found out that the English windows were somewhat thicker than contemporary American ones. The felts for the channels being sold as fitting Brit cars was actually a product for the American, thinner windows. Might check with some place like Moss to see if they sell channel seals by the yard? Or MacGregor in Canada. I know he has seals for doors and lids to match original profiles.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Thanks for the info Jim. All my glass was old and not pretty any more so I have all new, including channels from a local dealer so it should fit.