• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What's up with O/D prices???

mgbmedic

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Why are MGB overdrive trannys soooooo...expensive. I have a 63 Healey O/D tranny and it's worth less than one for the B. Somebody explain this to me. I was hoping for an even trade, but no such luck.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
B owners have been fooled into thinking its the best option for their cars & is worth the price....myself - though I own 5 or 6 OD's - I would never pay some of those prices....

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Why are MGB overdrive trannys soooooo...expensive. I have a 63 Healey O/D tranny and it's worth less than one for the B. Somebody explain this to me. I was hoping for an even trade, but no such luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just guessing here, but maybe it's because most MGB's came without O/D, but Healey's came with 'em? And there are a lot more MGB's out there than Healeys, and everyone who now have MGB's w/out overdrive wants one? Simple case of supply and demand?

Mickey

Steve_S

Yoda
I agree, just supply and demand. Notice in the UK, OD transmissions are much cheaper. I contribute that to lower demand since here in the USA the roads are typically more wide open and designed for high-speed driving. If the roads in the UK were more like those in the US, all these old British cars would have been made with larger engines and taller gearing.

74WannaB

I watched a B o/d go for over $800 on ebay a few weeks ago and another for $600. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

DavidDeutsch

I have a later model B O/D listed on eBay right now. No reserve, starting bid of $400 and a buy it now of $700. There are a whole lot of watchers but no bids yet. Closes on Sunday but if there are still no bids by Thursday evening, I'm pulling it off.

I have O/D in my 75B and non O/D in my 80B. I enjoy driving both equally. We've driven the 80 to Dallas, TX and St Louis, on two different trips and the 75 was cross country and back earlier this year. I noticed no difference in gas milage between the two cars. They both got approx 30 mpg on the open road.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I just bought several - old & new styles - for an average cost of $300 each...& there's nothing wrong with them....

....Personally, I think that's about the high end of their value

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Sorry, Steve - only 1 early one....but I bought it & some late ones the other day...now I've got one for all my cars & one I can put on my MGC transmission case.....

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
I paid $500 plus shipping for my later model overdrive, from someone on the board here. I wouldn't have paid a dime more to anyone, that was my absolute upper limit. I THOUGHT I wanted an OD for Binabox, but someone convinced me that I probably didn't need it and could always put one in later. The early 3 synchro gearboxes are even higher priced it seems.

R6MGS

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
B owners have been fooled into thinking its the best option for their cars & is worth the price....myself - though I own 5 or 6 OD's - I would never pay some of those prices....

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif

Steve_S

Yoda
JB, drive your running car without using the overdrive. If you like that then you'll like the early car without it as well, and vice versa.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If a person is willing to pay the $500 or so & s happy - its a good deal...I looked for years & years for an early 3-syncro OD...from time to time one would pop up at $750 - $1000 & I'd keep looking....finally found one at a decent price....heck, the guy had several MG OD's...patience keeps the price down....I'm working on acquiring another LH OD right now....

OP
mgbmedic

mgbmedic

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I'm of the opinion that a MGB with O/D will exert less wear and tear on the engine by lessening the RPMs, is there a flaw in my critical thinking skills? I'm not looking for increased gas mileage, I just want to extend the life of a wonderful old machine.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Robert, how many times can you rebuild your MGB engine for $500-$700....doing the work yourself?

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
[ QUOTE ]
I'm of the opinion that a MGB with O/D will exert less wear and tear on the engine by lessening the RPMs, is there a flaw in my critical thinking skills? I'm not looking for increased gas mileage, I just want to extend the life of a wonderful old machine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will you really be putting that many miles on the car? Religious oil changes help too.

OP
mgbmedic

mgbmedic

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Tony...this is now my "daily driver". I bought it a few weeks ago, paid $1400.00, and drove it home. I have a good friend that has a restoration business and is a Moss distributor. Since I've bought it, I have:
1 rebuilt the front suspension
2 installed a new gas tank
3 installed kickin' stereo
4 new carpet, sorta'
5 pertronix ignition
6 new heater valve
7 rebuilding rear suspension this weekend
8 installed british flag licence plate on front bumper
Incidentally, I had one person accuse me of being a redneck for displaying the rebel flag...duh! And I enjoy just about every minute I spend driving it or being under the hood. I don't look forward to an engine rebuild until next summer when I get my 76 roadster out.

OP
mgbmedic

mgbmedic

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Bruce B...I use 15W50 Mobil 1 synthetic oil, I'm hoping this will maybe delay a rebuild thru the winter, compression is 148,146,146,148. Should last, but the high rpms on the highway bug me, hope an o/d will calm the revs and my nerves

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Man, you got a deal! $1400 for a daily driver! You can build an engine a couple of times before you'll pay for an OD transmission....but, hey, if you want one I say 'go for it'! When the engine's out for a rebuild is a perfect time to do it....but that compression tells me its gonna be longer than the spring before you have to build it!

Don't know about the oil though - I stay with Castrol 20w50 year round