• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Any opinions on why TR6 prices are so "low"?

billh1963

Country flag
As an occasional observer of Triumph prices it looks like TR6 prices are as low as they have been for quite some time. In fact, they are low enough that I have decided to pursue one to keep my 1972 Land Rover 88 company!

Is there any specific reason for the flat (or even dropping) pricing? These prices seem similar to what they were in the early '90's. Even parts prices seem lower than I remember.

Is now the time to buy or am I missing something? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

G

I purchased a recent copy of Classic Cars, a British magazine published and printed in England. I totalled all TR6's they had listed (38) for sale in their classifieds and through dealers. The price average was 10,500 GBP. At a current exhange rate of 1 pound sterling = 1.76 US dollars, I get an average asking value of $18,480 for a nice TR6, not concours, body-off-frame total restos. I am not sure what you are seeing for prices in your area, but if you find a really nice, rust-free TR6 that has been beautifully maintained or restored properly for under 10K, jump on it.
I don't see where prices are flat or going down at all.
I know for a fact that a clean TR6 in the early nineties was selling for about $2,500. Today, from what I have seen, that will buy you one click above a parts car.

Bill

OP
B

billh1963

Country flag
Looking at UK prices may not be a valid comparison since the vast majority of TR6's were ROW models for export. The TR6 (as well as most of the sport TR models) are fairly rare over there. When I lived in the UK in mid-'90's I attended the 1996 International Triumph meet with cars from the UK and the rest of Europe. The show felt similar in size to the British Car Days I had attended in Charlotte in the late 1980's. Triumph's are much more expensive in the UK. Conversely, when I went to the UK last summer I bought a couple Land Rover magazines and discovered that my 1972 Land Rover 88 that is worth $8K in the US would bring at best around $3k or $4K USD. It's all supply and demand, I guess.

Anyway, I don't remember prices being that low in the early '90's. I was collecting big Healey's at the time and my recollection is that all TR-6's were trading at similar prices (adjusted for inflation) they bring today. Maybe, I just wasn't looking in the right places! However, since I am in the market I have talked to several sellers who have discussed how weak the TR-6 market is.

Anyway, I didn't intend to be contentious...I was just pleasantly surprised that prices are (from my point of view) more affordable than I expected. I was wondering if this was an ongoing trend or a lull.

Cheers!

Cain

Jedi Trainee
I just bought a TR6 two years ago. I did a lot of shopping around - mainly on the internet - for either a Spitfire or TR6. I still look on some of the sites that I looked at two years ago and it seems to me that prices have been increasing and not staying flat or decreasing.

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I can't say that I agree that the prices are low or have stalled. I thought they were quite high now. Most of them on ebay have buy it now prices of $15,000 and up. Of course these are quite nice cars or appear so. A couple of years ago 10k would buy a really nice 6. Check out the prices on 3's they are insane.

G

[ QUOTE ]
I know for a fact that a clean TR6 in the early nineties was selling for about $2,500. Today, from what I have seen, that will buy you one click above a parts car.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd agree with this, I bought my car 5 years ago for $2500 and it was maybe 2 clicks above a parts car. Lets say a moderately rough driver.

Stinky

Jedi Trainee
I would figure that in 1990, a 1975 TR6 would have been 15 years old. Too old to be worth anything, but not yet old enough to be considered "Collectable". Here we are in 2005, that same car is now 30 years old. So now I'd say that qualifies as "Collectable".
I remember back in the early 80's when I was in the used car business the rule of thumb was that a cars value goes down for the first 20 years, then after that 20th year the value starts going back up.
There's a big difference in a 15 year old car and a 30 year old car.

I remember some guy trading in a 61 corvette. I could have bought it for less than $10k. (should have bought it).
That was about 23 years ago,...had I bought that Vette and held onto it I'd be in Fat City now.

kindofblue

Jedi Warrior
Around here, I have seen some reasonable TR6s, driveaway condition for 6-8K. I think the prices are stable. It seems the supply is at or above demand for these at the moment. I wouldn't put money into a full frame off on a TR6.

The prices for other TR models seems to be going up quite a lot, the older ones outpacing the newer ones. I think even TR4s are selling for a bit more than TR250s as good examples continue to dry up. In the US, TR6s had a good survival rate, due to sheer numbers, and the fact that when by 74 it was realized these were a dying breed. More people may have taken care of them rather than the disposable mentality of the earlier models. (even though I have met one owner TR3s and 4s by now).