• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

GT6 Are GT6 prices going up?

TR_Jim

Jedi Trainee

Russ Austin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Other than the missing and replaced items, I thought the GT6 was quite nice. And I do believe the the price of GT6's as well as other british sports car have increased.

V

vagt6

Recent pricing for nice GT6s seems to have inched up, especially on eBay. It's not a significant increase, IMHO, but it's there. But of course, prices are slowing increasing on many other LBCs as well.

It's the "eBay" effect, similar to the P.T. Barnum thing. eBay provides tremendous market exposure for these cars. The bigger the market, the better it is for sellers.

Thank goodness. GT6s are easily worth more money. Sadly, there are not many nice examples out there.

tomshobby

Yoda
You want something to cry about? The '67 in the link I posted above I sold in '76 and it was in near perfect concours condition. We just purchased a 300 acre farm and had three kids. Price, $350. Then the buyer, who was a friend, gave it to his bobble head girlfriend and she promptly rear ended a car and shortly thereafter had a car rear end her. That was the end of GT6 #247

dklawson

Yoda
Wow! That price makes me feel VERY good. My GT6 is very similar to the one in the auction apart from "duller" wire wheels, no chrome exhaust tip, stock steering wheel and a factory red/black interior. Oh... and I still have the stock temperature gauge not the dual oil/water gauge. Still, that's a very nice looking car but I wouldn't have thought current GT6 prices would be that high.

G

Private listing. Check the feedback he left for himself. He's a shill bidder. He's got another name he won his own car and gave himself a positive feedback. He was probably the private high bidder on the GT6 too. The down side of Ebay is that it's loaded with shill bidding used car salesmen as well as honest sellers. You just have to use your head and NEVER bid on a "User ID Kept Private" listing.

same guy:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...35937%26fvi%3D1

dklawson

Yoda
I knew that price had to be too high. Oh well.

You're obviously quite right. Both auctions show cars at the same address. So... I've never sold on eBay but I know that sellers have to pay eBay a commission. When someone pulls one of these stunts, don't they have to pay eBay even though it's a sham? After all, an auction closed....

G

I'm not sure how they charge for selling. I don't sell anything on there. When I buy on Ebay, I always look for the "buy it now" priced stuff and just get what I want and need. The whole bidding thing seems weird to me. I even bought my Spitfire with a buy it now.

Maybe a seller can tell us how he pays for his shill wins.

V

vagt6

Establishing the "value" of an antique car is a tricky proposition. One way, of course, is to monitor current sales prices from key selling venues such as eBay, Hemmings,and other LBC mazazines, etc.

Also, value may be linked to the actual, direct cost of restoring a LBC. To restore a rust bucket, non-running GT6 to "good", driving condtion costs roughly $5,000-$7,000, and that's if you do all the work yourself (ugh). In this light, $7,000-$8000 is a <u>very</u> good price for a nice example.

I'd happily pay $10,000 for the right GT6, maybe more for a concours car. Everyone's situation is different. For example, I can't do body work/paint, the most expensive part of any restoration. Thus, I'll pay more for a no-rust, straight, painted car.

These factors tend to increase the purchase price of antiques over time. Who knows, maybe a $20,000 GT6 is not so far into the future?

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
I never thought much of the Spits and GT6's until recently. They actually are quite nice looking and this one looks pretty nice in white...a color I usually don't like on Triumphs.

Overall a nice car.

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
Stirkle said:
Private listing. Check the feedback he left for himself. He's a shill bidder. He's got another name he won his own car and gave himself a positive feedback. He was probably the private high bidder on the GT6 too. The down side of Ebay is that it's loaded with shill bidding used car salesmen as well as honest sellers. You just have to use your head and NEVER bid on a "User ID Kept Private" listing.

same guy:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...35937%26fvi%3D1
You're right...same address on both listings!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Stirkle said:
Maybe a seller can tell us how he pays for his shill wins.
A skilled shill never wins the auction, he just bids a little bit less than the highest bidder is willing to go.

Since shilling is strictly against eBay rules (but of course does happen); if the shill bidder wins, the seller still has to pay eBay fees as usual. Or, the shill bidder can "back out", in which case I believe eBay charges a reduced amount to relist the item.

The solution to this seems easy to me : Decide in advance what the car (or whatever) is worth to you and bid that amount. If you lose, then the other guy paid more than you were willing to pay. And if you win, you got what you wanted. Simply pay no attention to what other people bid, since that may or may not reflect any kind of reality.

Seriously, I've seen used items sell on eBay for more than the exact same item sells for new. They say 1 in 5 people have a mental problem ... and most of them hang out on eBay !
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

SteveT

Jedi Hopeful
Take a look at these two pictures; from different "sellers," must be very good friends. Look at the back ground.

Attachments

• 6191-a3ad_3[1].jpg
    6191-a3ad_3[1].jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 6192-a360_3[1].jpg
    6192-a360_3[1].jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 109

Bugeye58

Yoda
vagt6 said:
Who knows, maybe a $20,000 GT6 is not so far into the future?

Mark, I've got within a gnats whisker of that in mine, and wouldn't sell it for that. And, I did all of the body work, mechanical, electrical, and paint myself. The only thing I didn't do myself was install the headliner.
'67 MkI, wire wheels, overdrive.
Jeff

V

vagt6

I know exactly how you feel, Jeff! Actually, folks are lucky that the GT6 is such a bargain. The cost to properly restore one remains greater than the market value.

The MGB GT and GT6 are both underpriced, IMHO. They're two wonderful examples of true British GT cars that can be had for a relatively low price.

One of my faves is the MGB GT V/8, which we usually see in the U.S. as a conversion. There are faithfully converted ones floating around on eBay, etc. A lot of car for the money.

I think the prices are destined to rise on these great cars, if for no other reason that they're supremely fun cars to drive.

But then, I'm heavily biased . . . /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif

Bugeye58

Yoda
Mark, have you been looking for another one?
I need to finish mine, but too many other things get in the way. 12 and 14 hour days, six days a week don't leave much time for anything other than eating and sleeping.
Why couldn't I have been born rich instead of so dang good looking? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif
Jeff