• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Up-dated Sprite Prices

69sprite

Country flag
Updated Sprite Prices

It has been a LONG time since I have posted anything on this forum, so please forgive my inactivity.

It is with mixed emotions that I will be putting my 69 Sprite up for sale in the next few months. My activities in other areas are crowding out the time that I was spending driving/fiddling/etc with my Sprite. I have had a great 14+ year run with the car and will be sad to see it go, unless I can change priorities in family and community activities, I really think the car should be with someone who will continue to take care of it and enjoy the fun that these little cars bring....

I will be posting photos at some point in time in the future, once I make my final decision, but for now, I am trying to get input on what LBC(s) are selling for these days. Yes, I know that there are wide ranges, from cheap beater projects to pristine show cars. I am just trying to find out what a reasonably good condition, non-show car (not that mine won't compete, I just don't do shows) would go for.

Maybe a bit of info on the car will help in this discussion:
69 Sprite MKIV
1275 (rebuilt in the mid-2000s, but only less than 3-4K miles since rebuild)
Rivergate 5-spd conversion (Datsun/Nissan 5-speed transmission rebuilt at time of conversion)
New carpet set installed in 2009
New hi-torque starter installed in 2010
New Paint in 2013
New Interior panel set installed in 2015

Again, I am just trying to get ideas on a reasonable price I should be asking for it, when I make the final decision to put it up for sale. I haven't been keeping track with the cars for the last year or more and using NADA/EBAY/Etc. to try and figure out what to ask is only going to give me an idea of the ridiculous ends of the spectrum and not what would be appropriate to get the car into the hands of a knowledgeable enthusiast who will continue taking care of the vehicle.

Thanks for the input.
Larry Swofford

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Re: Updated Sprite Prices

Sorry to hear Larry, but priorities are priorities - and need to be honoured.

No advice as to price but definitely good wishes!

nomad

Yoda

My sentiment's are the same as JP's, Larry, it has been a while and one has to consider priorities. If you are wondering you can look at past listings on flea bay and get an idea. You can, also, list it with a high reserve and see what happens. You have the option to drop the reserve at the last minute if you wish.

I wouldn't consider a sale till the snow is melted and things are getting green.....that's when a young man's fancy turns to love.....and sports car's!!

Kurt.

mightymidget

Jedi Knight

Seems like on ebay, Photos create value more than anything eles. The prices vary so much from day to day I don't know how you would use a common denominator for price. The low side sems to be $4500.00 for a nice driver, that is what you can expect on anyday.

The top dollar is unknown, determined by your patience, location, mood of country at time of sell, and color of car

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag

I bought my '69 for $5500 two years ago. I've put a lot of work into it. My guess is I could sell $7500 to $8500 based on some of the listings I've seen. I did come across another '69 up in Pennsylvania in similar condition to mine before the work I put into for about $4600. In general, the whole vintage car market is being drawn upwards. Big Healeys are pulling up the prices of MGAs, MGAs are pulling up the prices of Bugeyes, Bugeyes are pulling up the prices of Square Sprites. I agree with the above comments -- wait for warmer weather when people would want to purchase it. I'd suggest driving it around with the For Sale signs on it. Go to Cars & Coffee, or the local cruise-ins. I get solicited to sell mine when people see it, and I'm not even trying to sell.

AN6-TX

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag

Larry - I sent you a private message.