• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR5/TR250 TR250 Prices

Jim_Webby

Freshman Member
Hello,

I am looking for some honest, and frank, opinions regarding the prices for TR250s in today's market.

I am considering selling my TR250 that I purchased about 2 years ago and am trying to establish what should be a reasonable amount to ask for.

Photos are at the following link;

TR250 Photos

The car is original in all aspects except for a respray from the original BRG to the current white at some point in the past. I am the 3rd owner of the vehicle and have significant documentation to show previous mechanical work that has been completed.

The runs smooth and has given me no problems in the time that I have had it.

The hood was torn at some point in the past, but was professionally repaired and looks OK and, more importantly, does not leak.

I added the Mota-Lita wheel after buying the car, but have the original if you prefer.

I also have a lot of spare parts including most of a second drivetrain (engine, transmission, diff, half-shafts, etc.) that came from another car that was wrecked. There are also 4 additional wire wheels with various tyres on them that could be brought back to life (not that there's anything wrong with the ones on the car already).

As I said, I am looking for frank opinions. I cannot find a single TR250 for sale in any of the usual locations (ebay, VTR, here...) that are similar to mine and could be used as a gauge of the market.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Cheers,

Jim.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Jim - this is not a scientific opinion but it appears that due to rarity that TR-250 trade at a high price than TR4 and TR6 condition of the car being equal.

I know that in the UK TR250's command a significant premium compared to a TR4 or TR6.

USA values are very car dependant, but 8K+ appears to be a price floor for truly good cars at this point.

I've seen excellent examples get bid up to 20K on eBay.

I'd get lots of other opinions before basing any decision on what I've written here....

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
According to the NADA guide , prices range from $9,575 for low average (decent driver) to $16,350 for a "20-footer" and up to $26,975 for "excellent" (but not quite show or museum) condition. That seems about right compared to what I've seen advertised in the last year or so. The color change might hurt you a bit, even if it's inside and out, but then again, maybe it won't. (Just seems to me that white isn't the most saleable color for a sports car of any kind!?)

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
I believe there's a TR250 listed in Hemmings right now...$22,000 asking price if I remember correctly.

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Jim,
You did not include any pictures of the engine compartment, underside, chassis, rockers, fender joints...etc There appear to be rust bubbles near the left headlight. I suggest that you photograph all areas of concern that potential buyers will examine. The trunk lid does not fit quite right. You should explain the reason.
I suggest you also provide some useful information about the engine and drive train. Compression, oil consumption, syncros, clunks...
I agree with the comment about the color. I can tell you from personal experience that white is not well recieved. The TR250 my brother rebuilt from the ground up is also white. He is consistantly beaten by blue, red and BRG cars at the local British car shows. Some of the other cars are not as well done as his. The color is not that popular with the voters.
You'll see a nice TR250 on the VTR site now. Although IMHO the price is way too high.
https://www.vtr.org/classifieds/detail.php?siteid=2573
My brothers car won first over this car in his first outing. Since then the other colors have taken almost all awards.
Having said all of that. From what I can see of your car I would put it in the nice driver catagory. I'd say 9 to $10K if the under carriage and sheet metal have no corrosion. I am assuming the suspension is tight and the drive train is solid.
The comment about TR250's in the UK is a bit misleading. The TR250 was a North American only model. In the UK the car was the TR5, which used the fuel injected 150 HP engine. The most powerful 2.5 liter 6 combined with a lighter car than the TR6 made for the fastest TR produced by the factory. The performance and the rariety of the TR5 are the reason for the high prices in the UK.
Bash me if you feel the urge. These are my opinions as requested in Jim's post.
BOBH

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
BOBH:

I generally agree with you, but would slightly modify your comments about the TR250 in the UK and in Europe generally. I see TR250s (not TR5s) for sale in some the British car magazines from time to time; cars that have clearly been purchased here and brought to the UK. They seem to fetch better prices there than here, presumably because of (i) their association with the TR5, (ii) the relative scarcity of the TR5, (iii) the fact that they're unusual there, (iv)they are free of the dreaded Lucas PI system; and (v) they represent such a wonderful blend of Michelotti bodywork and the delightful Triumph 2.5 six. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Kidding aside, prices overseas for TR250s that have left the United States seem quite robust, especially when compared to ours. Not quite TR5 territory, but still more than one would probably pay here.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
bobh said:
The most powerful 2.5 liter 6 combined with a lighter car than the TR6 made for the fastest TR produced by the factory.... Bash me if you feel the urge. These are my opinions as requested in Jim's post.
BOBH

No bashing, but let's not forget the TR8...

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
T

TRDejaVu

As mentioned above, the TR5 had 150 HP. Back in the day when I had one, we used to say that they named the US version the 250 "because it was half the car the 5 was". That said, moving on 30 years I would be happy to have a 250 now; there is just something about the Michelotti shape that resonates with me. Mind you, assuming I could find one, if I could afford to import a 5 over from Europe...

swift6

Yoda
A friend of mine in my local club is interested in purchasing a TR250. He found 4 or 5 listed in Hemmings. It seems that most think their cars fall into the NADA 'High Retail' (Excellent) category even when they fall a little short of actually being there.

piman

Darth Vader
Hello Bill,

"they are free of the dreaded Lucas PI system;",

or revered, depending which side of the fence you are on.

The reputation is actually worse than the fact, especially as garages then did not understand the 'new fangled fuel system' so it got blamed, guilty or not.

Alec

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
If the engine compartment looks good, and no rust underside or in the rockers, and if the car is in good mechanical condition with no significant departures from stock, you'll do well on EBAY. We all know someone who'd like to toss in a bid (while the wife is out shopping). I'd guess you'll do at least $18K if everything else looks as clean as the photos show.

G

Hi Jim,
It seems that the TR250 is the most sought-after of all the TRs Stateside as far as desireability and availability. That said, your car appears to be a good one to start with if indeed someone wants one badly enough. Meaning, presentation is everything. Sans racing stripe and white at that, not particularly gonna have a lot of appeal. Looking closely at the interior photos, everything needs to come out and begin again. If the appearance of the rust bubbles, cracked dash and dash-pad is indicative of the rest of the car, any potential buyer will look really hard at the important stuff such as engine, frame, under-body, etc. At all the car shows that I have been to, the 250's were all immaculate. My guess, and just that without photos of the engine, is the car would take at least $20K to bring it up to show condition. My honest opinion is yours is worth about 10 thou to a true enthusiast looking to do a total restore. More if he or she doesn't know what they are looking at.

OP
Jim_Webby

Jim_Webby

Freshman Member
Hello All,

Thanks for all the replies. I will take some photos of the engine compartment and underside and post those as well for everyone to see.

In response to some of the questions;

- The drivetrain itself is good, apart from a slight knocking which I believe I have traced to the Hardy-Spicer joints, and consequently am in the process of replacing. My first car was a Herald, so I am more than practiced at changing those little buggers!

- The bubbles in the paint notwithstanding, and these are only in a couple of locations, the frame itself and the sills are very sound with no issues that I have found. This was actually one of the reasons I bought the car in the first place. There are places where the original paint is still on the frame.

Thanks for the feedback. One additional question; any advice on how to sell a car on ebay? I am not an ebay novice, but this would be significantly bigger than anything else I ever sold.

Cheers,

Jim.

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My apologies for over looking the TR8. I tend to put these in a different class than the traditional TR.

For the last several years dealer ads dominate the Triumph section in Hemmings. I think their prices are on the high side.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
No sweat - we wedgeheads are used to it! The wedges really are different animals.

But I'd LOVE to have that 250 - just no room for it, and we're pretty LBC-poor as it is!

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
I've bought and sold several cars on Ebay.

I'd require an immediate PayPal down payment to secure the deal. At least $500.00.

The BUYER must arrange transportation as it's not your job to ship it...too many pitfalls.

Cash on delivery or paid in full BEFORE the transporter arrives....no checks cashier or othewise. No refunds on the deposit, either.

AltaKnight

Jedi Knight
MadRiver said:
BOBH:
Kidding aside, prices overseas for TR250s that have left the United States seem quite robust, especially when compared to ours. Not quite TR5 territory, but still more than one would probably pay here.

From what I've seen of UK prices, it seems that the Dollar and the Pound are fairly similar value ie UKpounds10K seems to buy the same as US$10K, just my observation.

AltaKnight

Jedi Knight
Sure, but not when it comes to used car prices!
That's my point!