• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What is this thing??

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
Have a 1979 MG Midget. It attaches to the radiator via a hose and is strapped to the passenger side of the car in the engine compartment. It looks like a canteen, has what looks like a radiator cap (most of the lettering is gone), and is about a quart in size. I assume its for radiator coolant?? When I opened it and dumped it out about a cup of brown "water" came out of it. If so, what should I be putting in there? I bought some of the 50/50 radiator coolant that is already premixed, but I have nothing to guide me. My engine is th 1500cc model. I have driven the car around the driveway and within about 5-10 mins the temperatre gauge is reading Hot. The fan is working and all of the blades are there. I checked that. I assume this is the reservoir and it needs coolant. Again, Thank you VERY MUCH in advance to you guys. Without this forum I would essentially be lost as I am a noob!!

Best,
BJ

Bugeye58

Yoda
BJ, that's the expansion tank, and is where you should be adding coolant. If it were me, I would at least drain the entire system and refill with fresh coolant, if not go the full flush and fill route.
Jeff

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
If it builds temp that rapidly I'd be for changing the thermostat along with the flush and fill.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Brown water = flush & refill!

While you're at it, as Doc said, new thermostat & new hoses...probably wouldn't be a bad idea to pull the radiator & have a shop clean it also,

OP
B

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
ok cool. thanks guys. When I refill, is the Prestone 50/50 premix ok?? And do I fill the expansion tank to the top as well as the radiator? I apologize as I haven't really done this before. Here is what I think the process should be under normal circumstances:

1. Fill radiator to top with coolant.
2. Fill reservoir tank to top with coolant.

Anything else I need to do? I will work on replacing the other parts as well. Are the hoses available in any car store or do I have to order from a place like Moss?? If they are do I ask for radiator hoses??

Thanks all!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Rez tank half-full.

Hoses will be hit-or-miss in most auto stores. NAPA may have 'em, Pep Boys as well. The rest may "list" 'em but not have 'em on the shelf... but it can't hurt to call around!

OP
B

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
Thank you Doc!!!! btw, nice list o' cars!!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
meh. Thanks. They're all here but only three are operational ATM. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
One thing you'll need to do after you refill everything is "burp" the system.

OP
B

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
ah yes, like a baby...!
I guess I hsoudl ask: If I only fill the reservoir 1/2 way and there is no cap on the radiator, that is enough for the system? I always thought cars would take the whole jug of prestone???

Bugeye58

Yoda
BJ. take the thermostat housing off, remove the thermostat, and fill the block through the head. Now fill the radiator through the top hose. Button everything back up, and run the engine with the heater valve open until everything gets up to operating temp. Top the reservoir off , and you should be good to go. Check the level after driving a bit, as the coolant level may go down as air is bled from the system.
Jeff

OP
B

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
ok, guess i have to figure out where the thermostat housing is. I have no manula nd this is my first real delving into cars. What do you mean fill the block thorugh the head? You mean put the Prestoe 50/50 into the engine block in the hole where the thermostat is? the other issue I noted is that the hose that connects the heater box to the air filter () is missing. So I guess without that i can;t do it? Or am I just a moron??

here's a pic of the engine as it exists today:

https://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n315/...t=DSC03011.jpg#

Notice the hose missin gfro the heater box ..

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]i have to figure out where the thermostat housing is.[/QUOTE]

Upper radiator hose goes into it.

Bugeye58

Yoda
BJ, the thermostat housing is what the upper radiator hose connects to. Correct, fill the block through the hole where the thermostat goes. Your heater hoses all appear to be connected.
I'm not familiar with a heater duct running to the air filter box.
I'd suggest obtaining a Bentley service manual for your car. It'll simplify your life greatly, and is a virtual reprint of the factory book.
Jeff

OP
B

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
Jeff, Tony..thanks! I think I an find that lol. I will look for a manual and get one. I gues I was wrong on the heater box..just assumed. lol.. How much prestone goes into the block? When you say fill it, yo mean put it in until it is ready to overflow? Any idea botu how much prestone that requires? Again sory for the 10000000 questions...!!
-BJ

Bugeye58

Yoda
BJ, never apologize for a question! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
I'd fill the block up until it is ready to overflow. It'll probably take a half gallon or so. Then get as much into the radiator as you can through the top hose. Probably the most important thing to do is keep checking the level in the reservoir after it's been running, and add coolant as necessary. Sometimes it'll take awhile to purge all of the air from the system. This is also why I suggested running with the heater on, to get the maximum fluid circulation possible to aid in the bleeding process.
Jeff

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
It is a good idea to drill the thermostats with several 1/8" wholes (I did 4), this will help with all the assoc. issues.

OP
B

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
thanks guys!! KC, did you mean actually drill holes with a drill through the thermostat?? Doesn;t that hamr them?

Bugeye58

Yoda
BJ, some people drill 1/8" holes in the flange of the thermostat to allow more coolant to circulate before the T-stat opens up.
Never found the need for it myself.
Jeff