• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Vroom, Vroom-Oh what a difference in handling

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
:smile:Oh what a difference in handling is all I can say. Bugsy finally got out of the garage and on the road this afternoon and my smile is going from ear to ear. After new kinpins were fitted, and new suspension bushings, I cannot believe the difference in the way Bugsy now drives. Sewer Lids, no worries any more, suspension clunk and steering bump is fixed, everything is tight, tight, tight like I've never felt before. 70 mph which used to be a white knuckle experience with lots of steering compensation just to keep going straight absolutely no issues at all. Was it worth about $500 to upgrade the front end on top of Peter C. shocks, tie rod ends and and pinion gear all done in the past years. Absolutely yes!!!!! This is the part of a Spridget Restoration many people do not undertake due to the expense. But oh the experience I knew I was missing, and I got the opportunity to remember what it was like to drive my buddy's then brand new out of the showroom '68 Sprite. Yes handling I've been dreaming about all winter. And it lived up to my expectations. Bugsy is happy, I'm even happier. :smile:

hooey

grease it all the time
and it will last longer
you don't whant to be doing all that again
:banana:

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Lots of grease already applied. No this is not one to repeat often, a dirty job. And before I forget, thanks to all on this list who provided help and support along the way. Peter C. for a great job reaming kingpins, Jack Laird for help and advice, and Frank C. as always, And I know there are many more to thank that I can't think of right now. This is the fun time after lots of hard work and effort. Glad tpo finally see and feel the reward

Yea- new front end is worth every drop of sweat. Be carefull and don't sneeze or you will change lanes.

m

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Very nice! Many happy miles to you. :cheers:

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Happy for you Jim. Somewhat envious too though.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
When Bugsy first came home, front end was so bad hitting a paint strip meant a lane chage at 30 mph. I'm serious it was that bad that Bugsy was a scary ride. I replaced with a set of spindles and rubber bushings off of a RB Spridget. That fixed the even worse handling issue but was still with worn fulcrum pins and kingpins. I drove it that way for 10 years but things got progressively worse over the years with suspension bumpsteer and clunks especially from LF. Speeds over 60 mph were getting scary and road grooves were downright dangerous. Working at home today and its going rain, rain, rain and low 30's. Not time to take Bugsy out today but Spring is coming.

Country flag
Weather looks promising for Saturday Jim. Wander on down. :wink:

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
Jim_Gruber said:
Working at home today and its going rain, rain, rain and low 30's. Not time to take Bugsy out today but Spring is coming.

I feel your pain. 40's and rain yesterday and wind and 40's today.
Hope Spring gets some giddy up soon.
Good news on Bugsy !

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Trevor, I'd love to wander on down your way but leaving on vacation Sunday morning and Colleen has lots of honeydo's before we leave for Siesta Key. Still need to bleed brakes, they are a little soft after I accidentally cracked a caliper open instead of unbolting the caliper bolts on the back. My "duh" moment for this project. I loosened that second bolt and quickly realized no fluid is not supposed to be coming out of there. Want to bleed brakes and change all fluids out before I take any trip in earnest. But I do think Saturday may find me out and about in Bugsy.