• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Vroom, Vroom sort of!

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
OK got Bugsy back together from reinstalling a new manifold gasket and turned the key and he started right up. Fabulous, whoopee, unfortunately I think I've still got a manifold gasket leak under there. Carb I attempted to rebalance since I could visually see a huge difference in the way jets were set and height of the pistons. Back carb must have been set at 25 flats out in a previous attempt to overcome the manifold leak. Both are now set at twelve flats out and idle screws appear to be the same for both carbs.

I've got a problem and I haven't had time to diagnose and get into it yet.

Zero and I mean zero low end power. Having difficulty in getting engine to rev. Starts fine, depress gas stumble, stumble, stumble, will it rev, will it rev, hesitate, slowly, slowly slowly revs increase, hit 3000 rpm and all of a sudden rev quickly. I tried to take around the block and chug, chug, chug, vroom with some occasional backfires through the rear carb. Had to do a 4500 rpm start just to get back up my driveway into the garage. Yuck. Timing close, not that far off but car starts easily.Replaced all gaskets, cleaned up all surfaces and mating points, reassembled and figured I would have fun vroom, vroom time. Now I'm really puzzled.

Intake/exhaust manifold gasket was assembled dry per recommendations from this list. I replaced one manifold stud back exhaust manifold bolt. Was longer than the others but appeared to go into block so same number of threads were exposed. I will reassemble with two washers on it just to make sure I've not run out of threads to tighten.

Plan is to pull it all apart again, I'll assume I can reuse the paper/cardboard gasket and use Hylomar on both sides of intake manifold ports and all gasket surfaces and tighten back down to 15 foot./lbs once again.

At this point I'm looking for tips. 4,500 rpm starts will definitely shorten clutch life. Help!!!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Do not pull apart till you check for leakage with some carb cleaner.

do you have oil in the dashpots?

m

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Remembered to replace the vacumum line.Could not find the hose in the parts box. Dashpots I need to reexamine as carbs were off of the car laying on their sides. Did not notice any oil in the box but it is possible. Something else to check on along with checking for leak with carb cleaner. I can't touch it until next week as I'm out of town with work. Part of the frustrating part of my commute daily from Dayton to Columbus. By the time you get home and see the better half too tired for more mental gyrations working on Bugsy. Only have the weekend and then there are honey do's to take care of. Grass cutting almost done yeah!!!,