• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

trunion re-assembly

TR250

Freshman Member
Any helpful comments would be appreciated:
I'm in the reassembly stage of my front suspension rebuild. I'm trying to re-insert the trunion into the lower wishbone, but there are quite a few washers that sit between the trunion and the wishbones--the problem is how do you keep everything lined up until you slip in the piviot bolt?!!

Each time I get things in place on one side, the other falls out--I'm ready to start welding the thing together!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

Bugeye58

Yoda
Try smearing the washers with some heavy grease. That will usually keep stuff together long enough to align everything.
After assembly, just liberally spray brake cleaner, or the solvent of your choice, on them to clean it off.
Jeff

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
A method that works well is to use a dummy shaft. This would be a piece of round stock that is slightly smaller in diameter & tapered a bit on one end. Insert the shaft through the stack of parts using the tapered end & wiggling things into place. Insert the real bolt to push the shaft out as the bolt goes in. Still some wiggling involved but the parts will be pretty close to aligned & they won't drop out.
D

OP
TR250

TR250

Freshman Member
Thanks for the advise from both of you. I used both methods together, I have to say I never thought of grease as being glue - but it works well.

I ended up freeing the front two bolts between the spring pan and the lower wishbones so I could get some more wiggle-room; even still the fit was very tight, so I used some wood shims to spread the wishbones and slipped in one set of washer after my two bolts (one from each side) were holding things in place.

I am begining to understand why a mechaninc's tool box has so many hammers and prybars! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A follow-up question: I've got everthing back together, but I can't tighten the outer ball joint nuts. When I get to the nylon portion, the ball joint spins and stops any further tightening. Any wonderful ideas?

Bugeye58

Yoda
You can try running a non-locking nut down on it. Sometimes this will pull the taper in hard enough to prevent spinning.
I use an air impact wrench with the torque dialed down to a minimum to prevent overstressing the joint.
Sometimes you can clamp the joint hard enough to seat the taper.
Jeff