• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

er Trunion Bolts

fwtexasbj8

Country flag
I just removed my front BJ8 shocks to drain the old oil and refill and in putting everything back together, I found a problem with the upper trunion bolts. While I had the top of the suspension apart, I wanted to replace the trunion bushings. Sounds simple, right? I cleaned the trunion of the old gunk from previous bushings, lubed the new bushings and as I was tightening the bolt, found I could not compress the new bushings enough to install the cotter pin. I am about 1/16 inch short on being able to install the pin. Unfortunately, I kept trying and stripped the trunion bolt in the process s I am down until the new ones arrive.

Here is my question. When you re-install the trunion bolts, do I need to drive the car a little to get the new bushings to seat somehow? Seems a little odd to not have the suspension bolts pinned, but I cannot seem to get the new bushings to close. The new parts weere all Moss and except to the protruding lip, seem to fit fine. The lip is thicker than the old ones but I just thought that was from compression and wear with the shock arm over the 18 years since they were last replaced.

Thanks for any help,
Doug

John Loftus

Darth Vader
I remember having a similar problem with those bushes (from Moss). The inner steel bush was too long, compared to the ones they replaced, and I shortened them with a bench top belt sander being careful not to heat the rubber/steel assembly too much (which could cause delaminination). I told Moss about the problem but seems they haven't made any changes. Measure the steel core length your old ones and the new ones to see if you are experiencing the same problem.

Cheers,
John

OP
F

fwtexasbj8

Country flag
Thanks John,
I had thought about that after all was back together and could not get to them. I will measure them next week when I get the new bolts and modify to match the old ones. That certainly makes more sense than driving without the pins.

I appreciate your help,
Doug

OP
F

fwtexasbj8

Country flag
John,
One more question. Which side of the bushing did you grind off. I would think it would be the outer edge where the shock arm interface is, right?

I spoke to Moss today and they claim to have had at least 4 complaints on the bushing length. Their technical department is supposedly working on a fix that will be ready "soon".

Thanks,
Doug

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Doug,

I recall grinding the inside (small end) because I didn't want to remove material from the flange side. Once the steel bushes are the proper size, there will be enough room for the bush. You can loosen the cross bolt on the shock arms and prise them apart a bit to ease assembly if needed.

Cheers,
John

OP
F

fwtexasbj8

Country flag
John,
Thanks again for the help!

Doug