• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Interior Colors

Aeroken

Like several of you, I am planning on replacing my interior panels, seat covers, and carpet this winter. The two threads about sources for interior kits have provided a lot of valuable info on vendors, but I have a different question/request.

I can't bear to redo my interior in the original color (powder blue /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif), but I can't decide what colors to use. I think I'd like to use medium tan seat covers and panels with either the same or black carpet. What I'd really like to see is what some of you have done. I've been very impressed with some of your handiwork so howzabout posting some pics with a quick description of the colors and source? I've seen the pictures that Brosky and LastDeadLast have posted (both superbly done), but who else wants to show off the fruits of their labor and help me out in the process?

Thanks!
Ken

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
What is the exterior color of you TR6?? That would help in deciding what color would be appropriate for the interior.

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
One thing that I might consider changing if I were to do it over again would be to consider black carpet. Yes I think the tan looks great, but the amount of effort required to keep it clean has been up there in the crazy range.

My original interior had "New Tan" seats and panels with black carpet and it didn't look bad at all. In fact I didn't know it wasn't the factory colors until some months later.

All in all, consider how much you plan driving your TR, if she's gonna be strickly a Sunday driver and show queen, then you can go for the lighter colors, but if you plan to drive the car regularly like I do, then black carpet with a light interior might be a wiser choice.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hi, Ken -

When I did the TR8, I went back with the tan plaid. The carpet is a chestnut brown, which is darker than tan, and hides the dirt very well. Still in the brown family, but also contrasts with the lighter tan vinyl. I'll try to post a picture later.

Mickey

OP
Aeroken

Aeroken

Oops, meant to put that in the original post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif. My 1973 TR6 is Sapphire Blue (code 96).

IMG_1586.jpg

71tr

Jedi Warrior
Aeroken,
My '71 was also sapphire blue as original. I'll be repainting either sapphire or royal blue. I'm also upping the interior to leather. If you get samples from Heritage, Prestige or Skinner you will notice a variety of color options for both upholstery and carpet beyond the original tan, blue, black. Shannon's advice about darker carpet is right on. As much as I like tan interiors I'm thinking grey or dark blue seats possibly with contrasting piping and a similar dark carpet (not black). Good luck and keep us posted.

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Now that I know the exterior color, I think full black would look great, as would a nice saddle color for the seats and panels with dark carpeting.

I always thought that a blue car with a tan/saddle interior looked classy.

D

DougF

Black or tan will look great. Tan is more difficult to keep clean, while black, unless you plan to keep the tonneau on at all times, is scorching hot.
I went with light tan seats/panels with medium tan carpet w/ light tan trim. I use floor mats all the time to save the carpet. Yes, it's difficult to keep clean, but it's worth it.

OP
Aeroken

Aeroken

[ QUOTE ]
My original interior had "New Tan" seats and panels with black carpet and it didn't look bad at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shannon,
Do you have a picture of your old interior? The new tan seats/panels with black carpet is one of the options I've narrowed it down to. I'm pretty sure I'll go with black carpet and some shade of tan for the seats. Now the question is black or matching tan for the panel kit.

Thanks to all of you for your input (and keep it coming, I won't be ordering parts until later this week!). I still haven't ruled out all black. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ken

Kirk_Fisher

Jedi Hopeful
I like black, but black gets very hot in the summer sun. You'll be glad if you go with a lighter color on the seats and black carpet.

OP
Aeroken

Aeroken

[ QUOTE ]
I like black, but black gets very hot in the summer sun. You'll be glad if you go with a lighter color on the seats and black carpet.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is my hesitation. I know I'll like the look of all black, to me it complements the dark blue exterior the best. I'm just concerned about the heat factor here in Kansas. That is why I'm trying to see what it might look like with tan seats and possibly panels. Right now I can't really picture a tan headrest sticking up out of the dark blue, but I think I might like it better in the long run. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Ken

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Ken,

Here is a couple of before pics.. actually taken before I purchased the car. The quality of the carpet was marginal and the seats were died to improve their faded color.. but you get the idea:

Notice the "custom" dashboard.

normal_P1010056.jpg

normal_P1010058.jpg

OP
Aeroken

Aeroken

Perfect! I'll just PhotoShop the red to blue and I'll have my answer (or at least another answer!).

THANKS!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Ken

TR674

Jedi Warrior
Ken
just in case you are interested, here are the factory colours for the TR6, paint/interior.
Regards
Craig

Attachments

• 293948-trim-paint.jpg
    293948-trim-paint.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 591
G

[ QUOTE ]
while black, unless you plan to keep the tonneau on at all times, is scorching hot.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I had the original seats in my latest TR6 (have since replaced with new ones from VB), they were black...and very, very hot in the Louisiana sun. Having remembered seeing a guy park his Berlinetta Boxer with sheep skins covers on the seats, I contacted Colorado Sheepskin to make some custom-fitted skins for my original seats. Best zillion dollars I ever spent! (they really weren't that expensive) Besides, cool in the summer and warm in the winter, they looked really, really good. Somehow, I would imagine my car was really a Ferrari.

Seriously, the sheep skin thing comes in a variety of colors, sexes up the interior and works like a thermos bottle.

OP
Aeroken

Aeroken

Hey guys! Finally got the interior done (OK, a couple of months ago), but I've been having too much fun driving to post pics. I went with the New Tan seats and panels with black carpet. I'm really happy with the way it turned out and I've not scorched myself once even in the Kansas summer heat. Anyway, thanks for the advice and support you provided throughout that project and I look forward to this winters suspension and brake work!

THANKS AGAIN!
Ken

IMG_3474.jpg

IMG_3469.jpg

G

Looks very nice. I was trying to see the old interior pictures but they have been deleted. Do you still have the pictures of old interior?