• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Newly Acquired 1969 TR6 & Interior Trim Question

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
New arrival a 1969 TR6 with over drive. This was found in the back corner or one of my customers body shop. Their customer brought it in in 1982 for a redo and told them to stop working on it a few weeks later. There it sat all these years until I discovered it.

My question is that the trim code is 11 which I think is black interior. But it has 1 burgundy driver seat in it. Shop can't find the other one so I'm in need of a passenger seat too. Was there ever any 2 tone interiors? Would it have had black carpet and panels and burgundy seats? Seems odd. Paint code is 32. Signal red I'm sure.

Also any thing I should do to test the overdrive. Or some additives to rejuvenate seals? The car does not run and wheels are locked up from sitting. Engine turns freely but will not start. No spark. I put it on wheel dollies last weekend to move around in the garage now that I have 3 LBCs in a 2 car garage. Good thing there small. One more for the collection and I'm done. I'm sure you could guess which model.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
TR3ATR250 said:
I have 3 LBCs in a 2 car garage. Good thing there small.

Me too!

Back to the O/D, as Randall mentioned in another post here today you REALLY want to make sure the O/D is not engaged before backing up.

Get fresh oil/fluids in her and get the rest of her bits sorted. Chances are pretty good the O/D is OK, oil levels or lack of electrical power to the solenoid are usually why they do not work.

Send along some pictures.

Someone will jump in soon to answer your color combination question.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
This does have the flip down headrest and the seat is in perfect shape.

Photos were taken after coming off the flatbed and power washing a 1/4" of bondo dust from sitting in the body shop for 25 years. There were also may droppings (about the size of Good & Plenty candy) from creatures living in it all these years. Sorry for the terminology hope nobody is eating a box while reading this but there were plenty of them but nothing good about it.

I like the little wax subjection but I think it will need a little more then that.

Attachments

• 7856.jpg
    7856.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 132
  • 7857.jpg
    7857.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 131
  • 7858.jpg
    7858.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 135
  • 7859.jpg
    7859.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 126

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
a little wax and she'll look good as new!

Kinda reminds me of mine when I first got her!

Congrats & good luck! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
Yes, strange. Looks like it is the commission plate. According to TR4/4A/5/6: The Restorer's Guide By Bill Piggott this was where they were placed on TR4/4As. TR250's and early 6's they were supposed to be on the front wheel arch, then later to the drivers side B post.

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Looks like most of it there, a big start. I'm sure all the switches will need some help. Give me a E-mail if you need help on them, or you might be able to talk me into fixing them.

Wayne

D

DougF

Once you get ignition working, you can put the car in 2nd gear with the ignition on, engine not running, and flick the od switch. Listen for the solenoid to click. Repeat in 3rd gear.
Once you have changed you fluids(I use Valvoline 20w/50 Racing Oil since it is non-detergent) and gotten the car running and driving. If the solenoid was working, test it on the road. If it isn't working, work the lever on the passenger side of the od while driving. Try it in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.
It would be good to check the filter screens for brass filings and other debris before adding new fluids.
If you can't get it working and get so fed up you want to melt it down, I'm sure there are a couple people on the forum that would trade you even up for their working non-od transmission.
Looks like a fun project. Good Luck!

TRopic6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Re: Newly Acquired 1969 TR6 & Interior Trim Questi

It's the real deal alright - A full set of striped hoses...that is a real find. Congratulations!

Jeff

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
BOXoROCKS said:
very interesting...is that the ID plate on the bulkhead by the brake side?

I thought that was a bit odd too. My 250's commission plate is on the driver wheel arch.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Bugeye58 said:
That looks like an excellent starting point. Certainly a lot better than some I've seen.
Good luck with the project!
Jeff

Thanks and I agree. My last project (250) burnt me out and I said no more. Replaced the frame and many many body parts. 6 year project. The Tr3A I got in 1976 had a tree growing through it. That outta to tell what kind of project that was. 7 years. Knock on wood but this should be much easier. Ya! you got'a love those striped hoses. Thought about pulling them and putting on the 250. Will see.

BobSands

Jedi Hopeful

TRopic6 said:
It's the real deal alright - A full set of striped hoses...that is a real find. Congratulations!

Jeff
Don't want to hijack a thread,...but as rare as these hoses are, is there a good way to save them?
thanx Bob

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

It looks better than some starters that I've seen. Good luck with it!

By the way, have you ever heard of a guy named Tinster?

You two will have a lot in common before your project is complete.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag

Looks like fun - with the chrome valve cover I would guess a relatively early TR6, my 69 had the painted variety.

I did spot on the engine shot a little green on the body - is that original? I don't think that would match up with Signal Red, maybe paint code 25 if my memory is right?

Randy

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

Looks like the original color is signal red. code 32. not sure what the green is from but it was painted maroon. Poor job too. Looks like an Earl Schibe job. It will get striped down to bare metal and done properly.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

Brosky said:
It looks better than some starters that I've seen. Good luck with it!

By the way, have you ever heard of a guy named Tinster?

You two will have a lot in common before your project is complete.

Not sure who he is but I'm sure I read his posts. Who is he? What's in common? I don't get a lot of time to view the form much. Just short spots here and there. Maybe hook us up.