• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Caring for Newly Painted MG B

tazochai

Freshman Member
I would like to know how to properly care for the MG B, including what products to use.

I have a 65 MG B that is currently at the body shop getting a new paint job. I bought a brand new vinyl top for it. The car's been in my family since it was new. I've had it in my posession and driven it since 1994, but the paint has always been in a bad way, so all it got was hand washed every few months in an attempt to make it look decent.

Now that it's about to have a new fresh paint job, and the wheels done and repainted, and a new top, I would like to know how to properly care for the MG. I've been browsing here and else-where and I read tips like, don't use dishsoap to clean the car, don't use a chamois to dry it, etc. Trouble is, a lot of info I find is from product websites trying to sell something.

I found a car care schedule at this guy's site:
https://www.midwestclassiccars.com/Tips/AutoCare.asp
and that looks reasonable.

I have some simple questions for you guys. How do I clean the vinyl top? Is it okay if I get the vinyl cleaner on the plastic windows too? Do I use a different cleaner for the plastic windows? What chrome cleaner do you use and how often? What do I use for the glass windshield? Is it a bad idea to get any of those specialty products on the paint job?

Now about the body of the car... ok I won't use dawn dishsoap and a rag like I used to. Sounds like I can buy any car-specific cleaner and I'll be fine. For the once-a-week cleaning, I can just wash the car with carsoap and dry it with cotton towels, and be done. What kind of mitt/cloth do you use to clean the body? There's a lot of choices out there, from sheepskin to microfibre to chenille.

For waxing which it looks like I do every 2 to 3 months... what's the difference between a sealer/glaze and a wax? What brands do you like to use? On that guy's list, what does "Full dress, scrub bead to tread" mean?

Thanks for any tips or recommendations you might have.

Steve_S

Yoda
There are a million different products and even more opinions on what is right. The best product will depend on what type of finish is on your car and what condition it's in. Be sure to NOT wax the car for a couple months after it is painted. You want the paint to fully cure before putting anything on it. I use Meguiar's NXT wax but on a brand new paint job you may want to try something less matte and more glossy. NXT wax does a nice job of diffusing reflected light which hides imperfections in older paint jobs.

For washing, use any high quality mitt. I use a Meguair's synthetic mitt. Never let the mitt fall on the ground and don't use it to wipe areas that are full of grit. If you do, wash the mitt well before wiping across other areas of the car.

I do a full detail once or twice a year on each car. You won't want to clay or polish your paint for at least six months, nor should it need it. A year is more likely. My full detailing process goes like this...

Warm up engine a bit. Clean engine bay with Simple Green Automotive and various brushes. Quick detail engine bay paint and various painted items with Meguiar's Quick Detailer or spray wax. Pick bugs out of radiator.

Wash car with Meguiar's Gold Class soap, rinse thoroughly. Dry with Meguiar's Water Magnet waffle towel.

While car sits in shade drying, remove and clean wheels with Auto Glym Wheel Cleaner and various brushes. If really filthy, I use Simple Green. Rinse thoroughly, especially after Simple Green. Wash wheel arches with soap and scrub brush.

Clean glass with Meguiar's Glass Cleaner and Meguiar's Glass cleaning towel (both are far superior to Windex and paper towels!)

Clay car with Meguiar's white clay and Quick Detailer as lubricant. Use lots of lubricant! Do 12" square sections and don't let the lubricant dry if possible. Repeat process if necessary.

Quick detail entire car to remove any dried quick detailer or leftover debris.

Apply Meguiar's Speed Glaze Polish to Meguiar's Soft Buff Pad #8006 on dual action rotary tool. Work in 12" square sections, overlapping each section. Polish entire area at 90-degree angles until polish becomes very fine and somewhat dry. Apply and polish corners and hard to reach places by hand using Meguiar's High Tech Applicator Pad. Remove polish from each panel as finished with Meguiar's Supreme Shine Microfiber.

Apply Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax by hand using High Tech Applicator Pad, or with rotary tool and Soft Buff Finishing Pad #9000. I typically apply and remove by hand. Let NXT wax dry for a couple hours and remove with Microfiber Towel.

While wax dries, vacuum interior, remove and brush out floor mats. Dress vinyl and rubber with Auto Glym or Meguiar's products. Clean leather with Connely's Leather Cleaner and treat with Connely's Hide Food.

Last step, drive the car until filthy and repeat above process. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

OP
T

tazochai

Freshman Member
Thank you for the help and the tips. I haven't gotten the car back yet, but I'll be sure not to wax it for a while, and pick up some of that stuff you mentioned.

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
In the example you linked it appears that the author is basing his process (and terminology) on the brands/products he uses (apparently Mothers). I think you should consider it more of a guideline than a specific process. You’ll find that the specifics of your car, your environment and your personal preferences will substantially affect the frequency and order of the various tasks.

tazochai said:
... what's the difference between a sealer/glaze and a wax? ...
Unfortunately there are few, if any, universal definitions in finish care. Companies are pretty much free to call things whatever they want. Meguiar’s and 3M use the term “glaze” to refer to a class of products that improve appearance but don’t remove defects (like a compound, cleaner or cutting polish) or impart protection (like a wax). I believe Mothers uses the same terminology. Glazes tend to work best on darker colors. You may find it’s unnecessary if your car is lighter colored.

tazochai said:
... ... On that guy's list, what does "Full dress, scrub bead to tread" mean?..
Good question. I’m guessing he means scrubbing the tires.

As tires are driven they release compounds that form a film on the sidewalls (that funky brown stuff). It’s perfectly normal but it’s ugly and it doesn’t just rinse off. Tire dressings will work better and last longer if you clean it off. It usually takes something stronger than just car shampoo. There are special purpose tire and/or rubber cleaners. I use a general purpose cleaner (Meguiar’s All Purpose Cleaner).

tazochai said:
...What kind of mitt/cloth do you use to clean the body? ...
My personal preferences are microfiber mitts, natural sheepskin mitts or boar’s hair brushes. But that’s just me. For drying I pretty much use only microfiber, usually waffle weave.

PC.

OP
T

tazochai

Freshman Member
Thanks so much for the answers.

Do you always use a sealer or glaze before you wax? I never heard of doing anything other than washing and waxing a car, before I started trying to look this stuff up.

Steve_S

Yoda
I wash and wax unless the paint shows oxidation, swirls or blemishes. Then I break out the polishing tools. This is typically once per year.

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
tazochai said:
...Do you always use a sealer or glaze before you wax? ...
I never do on my light colored cars. I sometimes do on my black car. Since it’s only an appearance product that does nothing to protect the finish it’s optional.

Note that as far as I know “Sealer & Glaze” is the name of a specific product from Mothers. Everybody else refers to their similar products by other names. (Well, Meguiar’s used to call their product #7 “Sealer and Reseal Glaze” but changed the name to “ShowCar Glaze.”
old_m07_label.jpg

Also note that some companies use the word sealant to refer to synthetic protective products that work like wax but don’t contain any natural wax. Others still call those types of products “wax” just because they don’t think the public will buy them if they didn’t.

tazochai said:
... I never heard of doing anything other than washing and waxing a car, before I started trying to look this stuff up.
Don’t feel bad, there’s a whole world of finish care that 99.999% of the general public has never heard about, 99% of car enthusiasts don’t know about and probably 85% of the people who get paid to wash and/or detail cars don’t understand. It’s amazing how totally misunderstood it is and yet so common.

PC.

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Call me old fashion, well old anyway, but I still like carnauba wax. I personally use Mother's California Gold, although there are many brands that are probably just a good. About once or twice a year I might use Meguiars Polishing compound prior to waxing. Micro fibre towels are used to remove the wax instead of regular terry cloth ones.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
tazochai said:
Thanks so much for the answers.

Do you always use a sealer or glaze before you wax? I never heard of doing anything other than washing and waxing a car, before I started trying to look this stuff up.

Yep, Glaze or as others call it polish is the only thing that makes paint shine it is not the wax. Wax is used to protect the pain's shine from the environment.--Fwiw--Keoke

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
shorn said:
Call me old fashion, well old anyway, but I still like carnauba wax. ...
If you’re old fashion a glaze should be just the ticket. Meguiar’s has been making that one since the thirties.

Natural carnauba based waxes still work great and will lay down on top of a glaze just fine.

PC.