• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

intake painted?

Hawkscoach

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
guys, on a 59 AH 100/6 was the intake painted engine green or unpainted aluminum? Also, are all the "nuts" for both the intake and the exhaust brass? I have 5 studs that would be left without brass nuts (when I disassembled the car there were 5 that were steel nuts) Thanks Doug

Country flag
I was under the impression that the intake wasn't <<fully>> painted, just some overspray near the flanges from painting the block__engines weren't painted until they were assembled, hence generator, etc., being the same color.

But hey, I'm not an authority on concours judging (though the last Healey engine I did won "Best Restored Engine" in a non-Healey Marque show)...

OP
H

Hawkscoach

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
thanks Randy. although Now I am confused again. I had posted earlier about how to "treat" the unpainted intake to keep it looking good. Then, I installed it on my newly rebuilt engine, only to start seeing pictures that showed the intake painted, thus my question. Thanks again. Doug

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The inlet manifold (if that is what you are referring to) should not be painted. I have never seen one in the Healey repair shops that I have visited, and I spend a fair bit of time in one of them, nor any of the Healeys in my branch of the AH club.

:cheers:

Bob

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Sorry Bob but that's not correct. All intake manifolds were painted green. The paint did not adhere well and eventually burnt off.

Restorers are either not aware of this or simply prefer the aluminium look of the manifolds. It's the same with the rubber hoses on the crankcase breather pipe. These were also painted green but most people don't bother as it looks a little strange.

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Derek

I stand corrected - partially, maybe -ish, on a gallery manifold, that would be painted as it was an integral part of the head, but I am still not sure that you are correct for an aluminium bolt on one. For instance I have had a quick scan and I can not find any reference to it being painted in the ORIGINAL AUSTIN HEALEY by Clausager

Bob

OP
H

Hawkscoach

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
thanks guys. I guess this was not too foolish of a question after all. I did not find any "color" on the intake. However, I did find and clean a lot of "crud" from the hard to reach places. Gotta luv restoring cars..........never a clear answer sometimes. I will keep digging, however, I need to move on and get this engine installed and running!!!! Thanks Doug

OP
H

Hawkscoach

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
any advise on making sure the paint adheres better? should I use a high temp primer on the aluminum intake, then paint with the same engine paint? Thanks Doug

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Bob I'm afraid Clausager isn't always accurate. Anderson and Moment guide confirms 'all intake manifolds were painted green with the engine'

You are quite right, just found the reference in the A and M book.

But I must say that in my opinion it sure looks right self coloured rather than painted.

Bob

Country flag
If you truly want it to look original, you wouldn't do any extra prep on the separate aluminum manifold, and allow the paint to flake of as the originals did...

Remember, when these cars were manufactured, it was just a work-a-day job for those blokes, looking at the clock out of the corner of their eyes.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
You are quite right, just found the reference in the A and M book.

But I must say that in my opinion it sure looks right self coloured rather than painted.

Bob

IMHO - that's true of all the aluminium: also the steering box cover, bell housing, tranny & idler & rear axle pumpkin. Just sayin...:smile:

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
any advise on making sure the paint adheres better? should I use a high temp primer on the aluminum intake, then paint with the same engine paint? Thanks Doug

After you thoroughly clean the aluminum intake, wipe it down with lacquer thinner or xylol and a clean cotton rag (old white t-shirt). After the solvent has completely flashed off, blow the surface off with compressed air to remove any residual lint. Next, apply 1 light coat of self-etching primer. I like this one the best, its light green color works very well under the Healey metallic green engine paint. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/smm-39693?seid=srese1&gclid=COLQyfO5-7kCFeU9Qgod4AcAjg Let air dry 1 hour at 70 degrees, then apply 2-3 light even coats of metallic finish.

There's the motor I did on my '65 BJ8 15 years ago.

DSC09608.jpg