• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 mirrors

markctr3

This is a HUGE moment in my life!

I have just noticed that my status has been upgraded from "newbie" to "member"!

Crank up the record player and pop the champagne Deloris, it's time to pass on some sage advice from a former newbie.

Those of you--and I used to be one of them--who still have the standard side-view mirrors mounted on your TR3 may want to pay attention. As you know, those mirrors are mounted about 12 feet away from the interior of the cockpit, and it's a lot like looking at the road through a paper towel tube. If you haven't already done it, spend the extra $12 dollars and buy the convex mirrors. It makes a TREMENDOUS difference. You can actually see if there's a car, bike, pole, person, or any other object near your car! What a great concept...actually being able to see what's going on around you!

Hope you all have a great Christmas, and/or happy holiday!

PeterK

Yoda
My trouble is being able to see the pasenger side wing mirror. It's almost completely blocked by the dash mounted mirror unless the seat is slid all the way back (and then I can't push in the clutch!) The adjustment on the driver side wing mirror does take some time to get it right but convex mirrors make me dizzy! (not a distributor...)
Congrats on your new member status.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Mirrors? We don't need no stinking mirrors!
(From the guy who never erects the hood, so has no blind spots.)

Actually, I have a flat mirror and a convex mirror (for the right side fender) but I never installed them, since I decided that I liked the "from the factory" look. (And people often say "why don't you have any mirrors?")

jayhawk

Jedi Warrior
While I was in the process of doing body work, the mirrors were off my car (they were on the hood instead of the fenders anyway!) and I used one of those little cheapie "stick-on" convex mirrors and stuck it on the side of the dash. I never used the side curtains so it was never blocked. That actually worked quite well so I can imagine that a copule of real mirrors with convex surface might work better. I still need to put mine back on but I've got other issued to deal with when I get a little time and warmer weather. Congrats on the new status-- I still consider myself a rookie since I'm still stumbling along with the help of this group.

gsalt57tr3

Jedi Warrior
I agree with the convex mirrors, and being 5'6", also ran into the problem of having the dash mirror block the right wing mirror.

My solution was to move the mirrors back until I could see them.

Now when it comes to adjusting the mirrors, try this trick:

put your TR3 in the street (hopefully a quiet one where the neighbors are not going to mind). sitting in the drivers seat, notice where on the windshield your view of your rear view mirror is. Put a mark where you see your right and left mirror. Next tape a piece of white paper to the back of your windshield.

Go get your other car. park it, with the headlights on, where you would want to know where a car is if you were driving your TR3.

Go to the mirror and adjust it so that the beam of light hits the spot you marked on your windshield for that side of the car.

Get out, move the other car to the other side and repeat.

Then hope you don't bump them in the garage getting around the front of your car.

Adrio

Jedi Knight
Country flag
That is a good trick. Not to mention a neat idea and given that you are alone and are moving two cars, it also provides entertainment for anyone who is watching and trying to figure out what you are doing.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
And if you videotape it, you could send it in to "America's Funniest Videos".

When I bought my TR3A brand new in May, 1958, there were no external mirrors. I bought some, but like Sammy, I never installed them when I did my restoration from 1987 to 1990. I never (well rarely) have the top up. I learned to drive a bike when I was about six or seven. You learn to look and listen when you're on a bike - and also to avoid pedalling too close to tramway tracks. Remember what those were ? My neck is still just as limber as it was then. I look all around, listen for other cars and remember where they are. Also who needs a mirror - to see the guy you just passed ?

Don Elliott, 1958 TR3A

https://www.britishcarforum.com/ubbthreads/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/1920/ppuser/4127

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I agree... the problem isn't seeing the other guy, but getting him to see you.

"The First Rule of Italian Driving: [rips off mirror] Whatsa behind me itsa not important"
-- Raul Julia in Gumball Rally

Russ Austin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have Tex mirrors on my TR3A, I like the look over Lucas mirrors. They also are spring loaded, you knock against them and they return.

Attachments

• 155155-DSCN0004.jpeg
    155155-DSCN0004.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 72

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
[ QUOTE ]

"The First Rule of Italian Driving: [rips off mirror] Whatsa behind me itsa not important"
-- Raul Julia in Gumball Rally

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget, Geo, the Ferrari 365GTS/4 lost the race to the Cobra. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Adrio

Jedi Knight
Country flag
This is way off toppic but Don's comment about looking around when on his bike reminded me of a funny (sort of) story. I was about 18 an on my bike, listening to a tape on my then new device called a walkman. This model had a microphone and a squelch feature so it played the music until the background noise went above a preset level. This way I thought I could hear a horn or whatever. All was good with the world and the Beatles were playing in my ears as I sat still at a red light waiting. Then all of a sudden Paul's voice was replaced by the sound of screaching tyres and within a second or so I found myself flat on the bonnet of some giant 1970's land yacht and my poor bike found itself flattened under said yacht. The good news is I (and the walkman) came out of it unscratched and the yachtsman had the privaledge of buying me a new bike.

gsalt57tr3

Jedi Warrior
I am still a cyclist at 52. The only difference between riding my bike and driving my TR3 (other than being faster)is that I'm higher on my bike and have MUCH better visibilty.

Oh ya, hills are a little easier too.

D

DougF

My TR3 never had mirrors and probably never will. I do have convex if ever necessary. The only time they would have been nice was when driving home in February, having just purchased the car, and following a friend through rush hour traffic with a blanked out rear window. But I guess that's what horns are for.