• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR-3A Boot Seal Installation - Help!

Bob_Burt

Freshman Member
I'm refurbishing the boot on my 1958 TR-3A (TS38984L) and purchased a new seal P/N 605810 from the Roadster Factory. It is supposed to fit all 2's & 3's to TS60000.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to mount this seal into the 1/2 inch wide by 1/2 inch deep channel that runs around the inside of the boot.

Anyone out there had experience with this problem? I thought this would be a piece of cake.

Thanks, Bob Burt

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
There are two types of seal. On early TRs up to TS 59999, the channel should be 2-sided and the seal wedges down into the channel. The four corners are 90 degrees. I still have my original one in a box somewhere in my garage. It was cut as two pieces. One piece goes all the way across the top from one side to the other top corner. Then the long piece fits from one top corner, down the side channel, makes a bend to fit along the bottom and back up the other side channel to the top corner.

For TRs after TS60000, the seal fits over a single upright "fin". The corners are all rounded, not square as for the early TRs. The seal has a slit in the bottom and this slit fits onto the upright fin. It is installed as one piece and the cut is usually located at the bottom center near the boot lit handle.

Tom - I can't figure what I'm looking at in your photo. It looks like you have one "fin" and you have the seal fitted between this and the truss-head screw heads that hold the fender on in the boot lid area.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Don - the upper "fin" is obvious. There's a similar, parallel "fin" about a half inch down from the upper fin. The two, plus the bottom in between the two, form the channel which the seal fits in.

I didn't order the seal myself; it was on the car when I got it. Note the bit of overspray on the lower edge of the seal.

Tom

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Mine (TS47905) looks like Tom's but it is a repro from Moss or TRF so goodness knows how it compares to an original. It fits into a channel and sort of leans into the boot.

I installed mine as one piece meeting at the middle of the rear of the boot just 'cause I didn't know no different.

Boot%20Seal.JPG

OP
B

Bob_Burt

Freshman Member
HA! Just as I thought - I have the wrong part. I've e-mailed TRF about the problem. Interesting, the P/N I ordered is supposed to be for "up to 60000". They must have put the wrong part in the bag.

Thanks to all of you that took the time to reply. Bob Burt