• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Boot trunk seal alternative advice ?

bullittgt

Freshman Member
I wasted half of the day trying to install a misfit boot seal I purchased from moss motors.Thankfully I followed forum advice and attempted to check the fit before I glued it in place.Its far too thick binding at the top and fitting it just on the bottom edge the trunk wont come close to being flush with the surround.Not the first time I have heard of mosses bad seals.I know....some have had success but not my car. After looking at some seal threads here my moss seal looks nothing like the seals I see here.
My seal is much narrower with a much steeper v grove which is symmetrical.no wonder it wont work

So ,does anyone have a recommendation of a seal that wont bind the hinges and also let the trunk close flush with the surround ?
There must be other vendors that stock a correct fitting seal.
Im not anal about originality at this point.just want it waterproof with a flush boot.
Possibly a bulb seal of some size?
Thanks guys

British_Recovery

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Since I didn't want to glue anything to the inside of the boot lid when it was rust-free, thinking the original seal acted like a sponge, I used an MGB boot lid seal and clipped it onto the aluminum edge of the shroud, with the joint at the bottom near the boot latch. I had to remove the rubber bulb section along the straight part of the lower edge so the lid could seat. No water entry in normal car washing, and the car is seldom in the rain.
Bob

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
There must be other vendors that stock a correct fitting Boot seal.--Yep: Try Healey Surgeons.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I wasted half of the day trying to install a misfit boot seal I purchased from moss motors.Thankfully I followed forum advice and attempted to check the fit before I glued it in place.Its far too thick binding at the top and fitting it just on the bottom edge the trunk wont come close to being flush with the surround.Not the first time I have heard of mosses bad seals.I know....some have had success but not my car. After looking at some seal threads here my moss seal looks nothing like the seals I see here.
My seal is much narrower with a much steeper v grove which is symmetrical.no wonder it wont work

So ,does anyone have a recommendation of a seal that wont bind the hinges and also let the trunk close flush with the surround ?
There must be other vendors that stock a correct fitting seal.
Im not anal about originality at this point.just want it waterproof with a flush boot.
Possibly a bulb seal of some size?
Thanks guys
I purchased my seal from BCS...works great(no leaks with washings). Easier to install with the boot lid removed from the car and laid on it's back exposing the inside of the boot. Rough up any glossy surface and install only a little bit at a time using a good contact cement. There's an inside/outside lip so be sure to get that correct.

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
I know you probably don't want to hear it but there is nothing wrong with Moss' boot lid seal, its shaped correctly and soft enough to seal with just the weight of the boot lid and a slight push to latch. Slamming a Healey bootlid will wreak havoc with the lid and the shroud over time . I've installed two on restored cars and achieved perfect fit and seal. The lip on the shroud is the culprit and can be tweeked easily before paint by bending it. Take a business card in one hand and while closing the lid slide the card between the seal and the flange. Pinching the card so tight it can't be pulled out means the flange is too far up. Start at the top edge.

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
Cars 265.jpgfound a picture !

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
I found the seals from Moss and other vendors were a bit to hard to compress (for my boot lid). I found a bulb style that compressed a lot easier.
I purchased it from Pelland Enterprises Incorporated. www.Pellandent.com
Item code 19-3881
Description:
.80 x.50 EPDM flexible closed rubber seal; comes in Black. Sold with or without adhesive. Sold & priced by the foot.

I purchased 11 feet.
I am very happy with it.
Roger

Last edited:

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Questions guys.
Been a while since I've posted. Non paying member this time.
Why can't I post a photo? (was going to post photos of the rubber trim)
This is what it says after I try:

IMG_3006.JPG: Exceeds your quota by 25.33 MB. <a href="misc.php?do=attachments" target="_blank">Click here to view your attachments</a>

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Roger,
Good to see you stop by now and again. I thought we talked about your photo issue a while back. When you were a silver member, you had uploaded more photos than a non-subscribing member is allowed. When your membership lapsed, you were over the limit from photos you had already uploaded.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hey Greg, thanks for your kind words.
So, what do I do? Delet some of those photos, being I'm over my limit?
Anyone care to provide a simple, this is how you do it?
Being I don't visit her as often as I used to, don't really want to be a silver member if my wallet is to be involved.

I'm always happy to help my fellow Healey guys, and I have lots of photos. As the saying goes, a picture is worth a 1000 give or take, words.