• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Boot seal

Jeepster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I am just about to install a new boot seal on my BJ8.

i see that it fixes to the boot lid but how does it secure in place? Is it glued?

The seal sits pretty well in the channel that runs around the shroud that the boot lid closes on. Why was it not installed like this as it seems to be a more obvious location.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
i see that it fixes to the boot lid--Nope !!
It sets in the channel of the shroud.
--
but how does it secure in place? Is it glued?--YES !!

You will need a good trim adhesive like 3M and masking tape will be required to secure it in place until firmly set

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Gee, Keoke. You're usually right about everything. But not this time. It glues to the trunk with the best weatherseal adhesive you can find in the UK. The ends of the seal join at the bottom of the trunk lid, near the latch. Some of the reproductions have difficulty in fitment and sometimes alternatives work better. here's a good thread on it: https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf...Trunk-seal-problems-BJ-7&highlight=trunk+seal

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Gee, Keoke. You're usually right about everything. But not this time. It glues to the trunk with the best weatherseal adhesive you can find in the UK. The ends of the seal join at the bottom of the trunk lid, near the latch. Some of the reproductions have difficulty in fitment and sometimes alternatives work better. here's a good thread on it: https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf...Trunk-seal-problems-BJ-7&highlight=trunk+seal
Ditto on the boot lid. Also, there's an inside and outside edge to the seal that you want to get right to seal for water those leaks.

OP
Jeepster

Jeepster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks for the replies.
I still think it makes more sense to fit to the shroud.

Better get hold of some adhesive.

BigGreen

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
... I still think it makes more sense to fit to the shroud. ...

No it doesn't ;-) down there it will gather dirt and moisture
I moved the one on my car from the shroud to the lid

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Jeepster, I just did mine, went in prefectly. The seal does belong on the boot lid. The channel in the shroud is to keep water from running into the boot. The seal on the boot lid seals against the knife edge on the shroud channel. The seal has a " V" shape moulded into it. If you look at it closely you will notice that one side of the " V " is thicker. This thicker side will be on the outside edge of the boot lid when you lay it correctly. The thinner side of the " V " is the side that seals against the knife edge of the shroud channel. I bought mine from Moss and had no problems with it. Lay it around the boot lid perimeter dry first to get the fit. You will probably cut some off as the length is more than needed. As i laid it dry, I taped it into place about every 3 inches. When I was satisfied where it was to lay, I removed the tape stripes about a quarter of the way around and glued with the " Best Weatherstrping Adhesive" you can buy. Usually this type of adhesive is the kind where you apply the glues to both surfaces and then let it sit for a few minutes then stick them together. As you stick the glued seal to the glued surface of the boot lid, use the tape again every few inches to tape perpendicularly across the seal. Let it cure for 24 hours before u touch it. Good Luck, Dave.

Country flag
Fitting the seal to the trunk lid is most easily accomplished with the lid removed from the car (four__4__1/4" nuts) and laid upside down on a protective surface__read: LOTS OF PADDING.

Dave's tip with the tape is a good one, and will lessen the opportunity to either stretch or compress the seal as you work. Lengthwise, you want the seal to remain relaxed, lest it try to un-bond itself before the adhesive really sets up.

I'm sure you can get 3M automotive products in the UK, yes? Use their weatherstrip adhesive (black contact cement) and follow the instructions. Both surfaces clean and free of any wax or oils__including mold-release on the rubber__and a thin smear on both sides to be bonded. It'll dry faster on the (non-porous) aluminum, so I always apply it to the rubber (or cloth, as the case may be) first. If you work about a foot (12" to us yanks) at a time, you'll stay out of trouble.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

WOT !!----:shocked:

It ain't leaked in foty years N I ain't gonna change it.---:angel2:

OP
Jeepster

Jeepster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi Jeepster, I just did mine, went in prefectly. The seal does belong on the boot lid. The channel in the shroud is to keep water from running into the boot. The seal on the boot lid seals against the knife edge on the shroud channel. The seal has a " V" shape moulded into it. If you look at it closely you will notice that one side of the " V " is thicker. This thicker side will be on the outside edge of the boot lid when you lay it correctly. The thinner side of the " V " is the side that seals against the knife edge of the shroud channel. I bought mine from Moss and had no problems with it. Lay it around the boot lid perimeter dry first to get the fit. You will probably cut some off as the length is more than needed. As i laid it dry, I taped it into place about every 3 inches. When I was satisfied where it was to lay, I removed the tape stripes about a quarter of the way around and glued with the " Best Weatherstrping Adhesive" you can buy. Usually this type of adhesive is the kind where you apply the glues to both surfaces and then let it sit for a few minutes then stick them together. As you stick the glued seal to the glued surface of the boot lid, use the tape again every few inches to tape perpendicularly across the seal. Let it cure for 24 hours before u touch it. Good Luck, Dave.

Dave,
Just had a good look at the boot and I agree with you that it has to fit to the lid due to the way the lip compresses the seal.
So glad I asked the question.