• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

So what are your winter projects?

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Yeah, I've been reading about some of those "small details"! :laugh:

Part of mine relates to the "dominoes effect" of overlapping projects.

I built a small carport (with temporary tarp sides) to park ~My MGB~ this Winter.
(I "came upon" my MG similar to the way you did.....accidentally. And to say I got a "deal" on it would be an understatement).
grin.gif

Anyway, the carport allowed me to make room in my workshop for the Austin A35 that I am building for vintage racing. The Austin is a primed shell right now, with reinforcing rails welded into the chassis and a firewall that's been shifted back a bit so I can fit a RHD Bugeye steering rack (to replace the original LHD box). Today I am working on the springs, tube shocks and Midget rear axle that I am fitting....been working on this for a while. Since I need to re-arc the rear springs in the Austin and also wanted to re-arc them in the MGB, I got distracted by making a re-arcing fixture.

When the springs are done, it's on to the Austin front end, Then roll cage. Then 1275 engine. The custom driveshaft. And on, and on, and on.......

Meanwhile, I want to get the MGB springs done before the driving season starts. And since the Austin won't be ready for our first 2010 race, I need to get the race-Spridget dug out from under the lawn chairs and golf clubs and make sure it's ready. And the Miata could use an oil change......

And since I've been complaining about garage space, we're spending some of our weekends looking at real estate.
Then, if I have a bigger garage, I can buy more cars! :devilgrin:

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
tdskip said:
I have a couple small details to work out on the MGC
And the TR4, and the Bugeye, and the... :devilgrin:

Me, I will have the Bugeye running, driving, and licensed this year or it will kill me. I'm almost there -- if I had more talent I'd be done by now.

aeronca65t said:
And since I've been complaining about garage space, we're spending some of our weekends looking at real estate. Then, if I have a bigger garage, I can buy more cars!
We're crammed in as well -- Tunebug is stuffed into the back of the garage to make room for the daily drivers, so no room to work on it. We've been looking at real estate as well to solve the garage space issue. We'd love to get closer to work so we could manage to sell one of our daily drivers and be able to fit comfortably in a standard 2-car garage.

Unfortunately, houses nearer to where we work (Park City, UT) are still a bunch more expensive than what we can probably afford... so as a backup plan I'm drawing up plans for an additional garage/shed on our current property. If downsizing costs too much, then it's time to upsize.
grin.gif

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
drooartz said:
Me, I will have the Bugeye running, driving, and licensed this year or it will kill me. I'm almost there -- if I had more talent I'd be done by now.

I think more time is the key thing for you, the pictures I've seen of your work removes lack of talent as a factor!

Upsizing the garage space seems to be a trend here :smile:

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I agree Drew,I think that you're too modest.
I,like Nial,have a "domino effect" also.There's
Cortina that needs the clutch problem sorted out,the
TR6 that will need tires,tune up,the Datsun B210 that's
been in the garage way too long,the '68 F250 that needs
fuel & oil problems worked out,& then there's the '60-
Anglia that's been in the garage for years - it'll be
50 years old this year.
Maybe I need to have Bill come over & finish them up.
My mechanic works really cheap,but takes forever to get
things done.

- Doug

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
tdskip said:
I think more time is the key thing for you, the pictures I've seen of your work removes lack of talent as a factor!

Upsizing the garage space seems to be a trend here :smile:
You're too kind. What I'd really love is to have someone here I could apprentice to, and watch and learn. Learning this stuff out of books (with the able help of y'all here on the BCF) is hard, slow work.

On the garage space front, the funniest thing is that my wife and I would love to downsize and have less stuff and less house/garage (and we've been trying to), but it's proving to be much cheaper to build more space on to our current house and garage than to sell and go smaller. Who knew?
grin.gif

ralph_s

Jedi Trainee
You don't need no stinkin' apprenticeship, experience is your teacher. But after you screw up the same thing for the 3rd time it may be time to consult!!!!
Drew, your posts on the spridget forum have been a tremendous help as I work through my BE restoration. Agreed, time is the problem, but money can run a close second. I've got a M/C to replace on the "B" and carbs to rebuild and some engine compartment painting to do and I need to get the BE stripped and blasted by Feb. to keep the project moving forward. Just need to keep it all in perspective, these are good problems to have!
Remember you did downsize, your BE is a small car, just park next to an SUV!!

jsfbond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I just built a sand blast cabinet to refurbish any parts that are too odd shaped to sand, and paint, so...
The weather has turned mild (42 daytime high) but not enough to work outside. By the time I get home from work its going back down in temp. The problem with this up turn in temps, and a lot of rain, is that there is a sheen of moisture all over the Gt6,and the CB900F.
The garage is separate, and unheated!
Arizona here I come.

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
I was planning to get to work on some major projects after the holidays, but experienced the wrath of a minor heart attack and the insertation of 6 stents into my LAD artery two weeks ago...so it looks like the only [rpjects I will be doing this winter is some minor electrical work to keep her running and the radio playing.

But life is good!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
A minor heart attack is a valid excuse for putting projects aside! You take care of yourself -- the car can wait a bit longer for its turn.

hilsideser

Jedi Warrior
jsfbond said:
I just built a sand blast cabinet to refurbish any parts that are too odd shaped to sand, and paint, so...

Post us a photo of your cabinet. I'm ready for one now, too...

G

hilsideser said:
jsfbond said:

Post us a photo of your cabinet. I'm ready for one now, too...

back of a VW bus works nicelym; if done right it adds a cool touch

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
tdskip said:
What are you guys working on this winter?

I have a list of todos for Ms Triss - alignment/straighten steering wheel alignment/ sort out electrical shorts/ repair overflow tank leak/ fix passenger latch (it works but is too tight) etc. etc.

Am also currently taking a night school body work/ welding course with Mark (Abarth69)

hilsideser

Jedi Warrior
Guess I should have kept one of the thirteen I had over the course of time. huummm...

hilsideser

Jedi Warrior
...VW buses, I mean.

jsfbond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I sandblasted the inside of the car while in my garage, by masking over the openings and making a panel with window and gloves attached to go in the back hatch. Slow going though, my compressor is not industrial sized.

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
I tested a bluetooth music adapter today so in the spring I can wirelessly stream pandora to the radio. Otherwise I most likely wont see the car for at least another 45 days at the earliest.