• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Thinking about winter time projects

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My 1275 and I have had fun, but my last 1275 Bugeye was quite the ripper. Not sure what the build was on the motor, but it went like a bat out of **** with the DCOE40 and a big choke. It had a mechanic advance dizzy, and on deceleration snapped and popped like is was quite angry about letting off the throttle.
My current 1275 is tame in comparison, and really quite boring. Its a stock build best I can gather with HS4 carbs that I just had rebuilt and a header. This winter I want to get that thrill again. Initially I was thinking of just bolting on a Moss blower. I drove a car with that setup and it made me laugh, too much fun! But then you run into destroying the motor if its not prepped for that, making for a build that is way out of my pay grade.
So what might it take to get that snappy, angry naturally aspirated motor again? I don't want to do a full rebuild, so I was thinking headwork and a lumpy cam. Not sure if another mechanical advance dizzy is needed, and I don't really care about gas mileage. I'm looking for thrill, not economy.
Thoughts on what I should plan for and most importantly, budget for?

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
Aaahh.. Get your wallet fat and call Micky Pleasant (?) since your west coast. Typical fun would be good head, cam, exhaust. Then upgrades to handle extra power, since parts will begin to break. I've been thinking same process and feel 60-80 hp would be a fun car. 4-6K should be a feasible budget.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I'd check with Gerard in San Francisco.

Country flag
Everyone has different driving preferences and perspectives, but my issue is that I quickly become accustomed to the power of the car and then decide I need more power mods. I was spiraling out of control until I decided to keep one spridget "stock". This helps me keep my perspective. Drive the stock spridget for ice cream drives and errands, then drive the hot rod spridget for hooning about and the occasional autocross.

OP
bugedd

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
If I had a two car garage, I'd take your advice and get another for perspective :smile:

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I'll second the call Mickey Pleasant recommendation. Bugsy's new 1,326 came from Mickey. Starting work on installing a Rear Seal Kit from Gerard just in case. Mickey swore to me it did not leak a drop on his Test Stand during Break In. And then will work to get the 5 Speed mated to the new Monster Motor. +.040 Over, will get the HS-2's from present 948, some minor porting and Road Cam. Since valves on the 948 w Cooper Head are the same size as a 1275. May need to rejet but will get it running and in place first. Had hoped to have engine in car before cold and snow but am way behind schedule. That work thing and family priorities getting in the way. Painting may need to wait until next year. I'll drive ugly but get there faster and not leave an oil slick puddle behind. This 948 is pumping serious crude out the rear seal while running, The AH Self Lubricating Chassis is working as designed.