• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spring is getting closer - What Spridget Winter projects do you still need to finish

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Cruising around and running errands this morning I spotted signs of Spring in several spots with daffodils startingto poke their heads above the ground in Dayton, OH this morning. My calendar says we've only got 30 days now until it's officially Spring. With all of the project I've had going on Winter I must say has gone fast. So what Winter Projects do you still need to finish up so you can be driving soon. Temps to 50 here today and sunny, rest of the week highs in the 40's. Come on Spring.

My Stuff - Bugsy has all 4 wheels off of the ground and brakes hopefully on this Presidents Day will get finished up. Bugsy is on his way to a new owner in March and I will be going to Toronto in March as well to pick up a Bugeye Parts Kit. Complete car with all metal work fixed that is apart and has been in storage for the past 25 years. I may need help with the reassembly instructions and the WTH is this and WTH does it go questions.

Come on Spring.

Nelson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Last week I took my seat cushions to the guy who does my auto upholstery. He just called to tell me that they are done. They now have the lower portion with stiffer foam and the top layer is softer to be comfortable to sit on but firm enough to hold me up. The original vinyl was still in excellent condition. The back rests are fine so I didn't want to get the Moss kits that include the back rest foam. They want $165 for a kit for each seat. I'm paying $100 per seat and that is for parts and labor. When the temps outside stay warm the engine is coming out to install Gerard's rear oil seals.

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Today I finished up a minor re-glue on a door side panel, rebuilt the heater valve packing seal that was throwing coolant last year. Next I need to re, re, re, look at the carb adjustment, and figure out why the idle speed is too high. Then I am going to pull the fuel tank, and try to fix the sender unit. Mine is intermittant.....the pivot for the float does not make a good ground. A cheater way to fix this is to solder a wire from the float arm to the body of the sender unit.....it will flex up and down, but the pivot will now, I hope, be grounded!
Scott in CA

Jer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Have to get the generator rebuilt & installed on the 67, as for the 74 I have to reinstall the head, rebuild the carbs, sandblast & paint the rocker cover & air cleaners... of course with the snow we have up here I still have a good month and a bit to go before the snow will be gone...

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Spare 1275 engine is at machine shop to be bored to +.040.
Right now I am waiting for a set of AE pistons to be delivered so the shop guys can check the bores against the pistons for a final hone.
Then I start screwing all the bits back together.
Valves and head is ready to go. I am still deciding on carb (s) to use.

This engine will also serve as my development engine for the A35 racer.

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
Since I don't have a garage, I don't have winter projects; I have spring ones! As soon as we turn the corner weather-wise and I can work without freezing or getting drenched, (or both,) I have a growing laundry-list.

In addition to the usual spring tune-up and lube...
-Check and repack the front bearings.
-Clean the oil out of the rear brake drums and try to seal the axles (again!)
-Bleed the brakes and clutch.

A bit of bodywork...
-My front wheel arches have both popped, time to re-braze where the flanges have rusted.
-Figure out a way to replace the battery tray, which is rapidly disintegrating.
-Blank the side marker holes and remove the luggage rack.
-Strip down the chalky and crackly paint, and shiny it up; I'm gonna try the Rustoleum roller special.

And some interior trim work...
-Replace my speedo cable (broken for years).
-Make new floor mats.
-Carpet the boot.
-Make a hood boot.
-Make a tonneau that sheds water to the extent I don't have to put the top up every night or any time it gets cloudy.

I'm also gonna need new tires at some point; that'll be a good time to re-paint the Rostyles.

I doubt much of this is gonna get done this year, any more than it got done last year. Still, it's good to see it in print. The total budget is as close to $0.00 as I can get it, so it'll be a challenge in any event!

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Bill, The Rustoleum Special is easy on the budget. I did it with Bugsy and is very doable. Easy to do in sections as well. That you can do, just takes time. when you are ready ping me and I'll relay tips.

Digital Speedo interesting project I did on Bugsy < $50 and dead nuts accurate with Sigma bicycle speedo

. Battery shelf, piece of 1/8" steel plate or as Mr. Doan is doing, a lexan cutting board bolted in place.

BuggerAll

Jedi Hopeful
With a racer, winter is a busy time. My initial to-do list had 34 major items. Among them: leak-down test on motor (very good), so only new rod bearings. New Quartermaster clutch (disk toasted, also floater plate). Lap valves on race head. New fiberglass front fenders installed (the old steel with glass flares showed the effects of the odd light encounter with tirewalls). Replace rear double hub bearings and seals, new front hub seals, with bearing repack. Magnaflux front spindles. Rear shocks to Peter C for a freshen-up. "Adjust" racing seat to accomodate the HANS device. Rebuild calipers x 4, with new pistons front. Dog box off to Rick Haynes for repair. Install A/F ratio gauge and sensor. Install programmable shift light. And so on - Can't wait until the MARRS season opener, 13-14 April. Looking at about 9 race weekends this season.

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
get the master in, bleed the system, and go! This summer I also want to convert the tach to electric, install a generator, and a stereo.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Probably going to put in a new oil pump, seeing about my bolt that is stripped holding the oil pan on, new stereo and if - <if> I work up the nerve, colour sanding. Of course the real big job is renoing the bathroom so I can get a dumpster and get all the debris out of the garage and have a place to park!

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Bugsy got brakes and clutch bled last weekend and otjher than some cleanup and air in the tires will be ready to go to a new home in the next 2 weeks or so. Kitchen remodel continues, it will nver end but we got appliances finally last weekend. Flooring already changed over to hardwood, wallpaper off, repainting, refacing cabinets, counters. Then I can go get Bugsy II, a do ot yourself Sprite Kit in boxes and do some fun things for myself.

Millrat

Jedi Hopeful
I put on the new generator and regulator, now the plug wires and maybe the coil. I have a new radiator and water pump but may just wait until we have had some fun to put them in! On the order of don't fix it if it ain't broke.:encouragement: